Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-09, 08:40 PM   #25
xin44

Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

I have a bad sensation, are you speaking from "little corruption" or anything smaller ....

you kidding !!! my 8800 gtx hangs all 3 minutes when i try to view a video with the latest driver, and no problem with the earlier (not 180.xx) version - sometimes more as 45 lock per day, and 45 hard reboot with data loss !!

You said that i can't complain ? for sure, you don't have the same problem i have !!
xin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 08:55 PM   #26
TheBlackCat

Let's make a deal. I'll stop complaining as soon as my 256mb 1 year old nvidia workstation graphics card has performance and stability as good or better than my 0mb 2-year old integrated intel graphics chip. Does that sound fair?
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:39 PM   #27
ogetbilo

NVIDIA drivers had their good times and their bad times. Currently, I think it is one of their good times. 180.29 is behaving good on my system. My KDE4 is on, and I didn't have to log out or reboot since 180.29 is released.

It's just this window resizing bug that they keep not fixing. I hope that they will throw a hand on it soon.

I remember a bad time about 3 years ago, when there was this constant freezing issue in pretty much all systems with NVIDIA cards. It took them about 6 months to fix it, but they fixed it eventually. Patience is a virtue.
ogetbilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:36 AM   #28
xin44

youre right ogetbilo, but my customers have no more patience and i can't be more patient than her ! For working safe, i do run in a vm, because when i *can* kill x (when the bug comes), i can recover what i was doing...
To be patient, i do not work on my pc, except the fact that my pc is just for working !
xin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 08:30 AM   #29
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsk View Post
The thing is that we end up comparing linux driver with the windows driver. Do I ever see graphics corruption on windows: NO. Do I see botched crawling scrolling in firefox or notepad: NO. Do I see hang while logging out of windows because of stuck nvidia driver: NO. Do I see processes eating 50% CPU because they want to show an animated busy cursor: NO.
I have personally experienced corrupted graphics and black screens with the Windows driver that didn't exist on the Linux driver. Same game too, ut2004. So I would say this doesn't always hold true.
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:26 AM   #30
marchetto

There's nothing in this world that always hold true. Welcome.
If you're trying to say that nvidia linux driver is at the same level of nvidia windows driver, I think you're in a wrong way, if you just want to say that in this world nothing always hold true, ok, this is a logic excercise
marchetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:40 AM   #31
primerib

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, especially when they shell out a lot of money for a product. While waiting for fixes & updates can get very frustrating, people also need to realize that the Nvidia guys likely have a lot of work on their plate and don't just sit here refreshing the forum posts looking for things to create 5 minute fixes for. We don't know what all is in store for the next release. Maybe it's a major update with more deinterlacing options, which not only have to be coded, but tested and bugfixed. Imagine the number of negative posts that would appear if they didn't bother with the testing and bug fixing steps prior to public release!

Nvidia, I'm sure, cares about their customer satisfaction and doesn't intentionally delay driver updates just to screw with us. Give the guys some credit for doing what no other video card vendor is doing... Providing solid Linux support, communicating directly with the user base via these forums, and one of the most valued assets -- being pretty consistent.

Let me finish by saying I've only recently started using Nvidia cards (because of VDPAU and in htpc's) and I'm very pleased thus far. No, it's not perfect but it's off to a damn good start in my opinion and because of my own experience & success, I've recommended VDPAU to many others who nearly all have reported equal satisfaction.

I'll give credit where credit is due and say two thumbs up to the Nvidia guys. Keep up the good work!
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 04:32 PM   #32
castor

It's a good driver, solid work. Kudos to the developers.
I've been using two 7-series cards the last few years, and there was hardly a single problem I can recall from that period of time. Things have gotten a bit more problematic since upgrading to 9-series, but I'm sure those issues will be solved with time.
castor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-09, 04:43 PM   #33
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

gotta love windows.

*retreats as far as his flame proof suit allows*
Old 03-05-09, 05:05 PM   #34
luother

I've been using Nvidia for quite a while now and in earlier times, they were the best cards for linux. Highest performance and least problems with the driver.
Nowerdays people want more features, complaining on a higher level. I would not guess anyone complained that his Screen flickered when switching from fb to X-Server five years ago. Now we want Suspend, PowerManagement, KMS etc.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-06-09, 02:58 PM   #35
sombertattoo

I'm currently an owner of two nvidia powered machines. One running Geforce Go6100 and the other 9800gt Ultimate. Both have had their flaky moments (usually driver's don't start, forced into low graphics mode in Ubuntu) But overall, I'm very happy with it. Both are currently running flawlessly in 3D gaming such as Enemy Territory : Quake Wars. I'm running 180.29 with the 9800gt and 3D performance is solid. Ty devs I haven't really explored the powermizer problem because nvidia-settings reports max performance and the correct clock speeds. I hear though that sometimes it lies =S So I'm going to explore the situation this weekend. Is Nvclock more accurate in it's reporting?

Of course the driver is not as optimized/heavily bug tested/stable as the Windows version. It's a matter of staffing. I definitely don't think it's the quality of the Devs. These guys are taking a complicated chunk of hardware, writing drivers for it, and using it in an open source operating system. Stuff happens. Relax people. Calmly file bug reports. Show Nvidia that you're buying GPUs for LINUX machines. To NVIDIA, it's the same card you're purchasing for the same price. The only way Nvidia will up staffing is showing that the drivers are meaningful to an increasing market. You have to show them successes and failures in a professional manner in order to expect the same back in helping to solve your problems.

I know one particular person who has difficulty with his 9500gs. Can't get the drivers to start correctly. But he fails to send in meaningful bug reports. Just rants. Got him nowhere. So act reasonable people!
sombertattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 11:52 PM   #36
CMatomic

Linux VS Windows
CMatomic is offline   Reply With Quote