Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-09, 08:32 AM   #1
ManfredP

Default Message "No device found" from X-Server on 2.6.22.18-0.2 Kernel

hello,
I've just tried to install nVidia driver for SuSE Linux 10.3 on the kernel named above and the return was No such device found from X-Server. What's are possible reasons?

greetings

Manfred
ManfredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 09:04 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Message "No device found" from X-Server on 2.6.22.18-0.2 Kernel

Please see the forum sticky posts about how to report a problem.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 05:14 PM   #3
ManfredP

Arrow Re: Message "No device found" from X-Server on 2.6.22.18-0.2 Kernel

Hello,
excuse me. A little bit written 'head over heals'. The problem: nvidia-bug-report.sh doesn't work since the Server terminates a few seconds after starting it only with an error message. So there is no log file. To make the error more transparent I just took the output of the Server. That's it:

xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.5145

X Window System Version 7.2.0
Release Date: Tue Jun 3 00:09:04 UTC 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux ERININ 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP 2008-06-09 13:53:20 +0200 i686
Build Date: 03 June 2008
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Mar 12 19:17:33 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(II) Module already built-in
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.22.18-0.2-default/weak-updates/nvidia.ko): No such device
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
giving up.
xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

As one can see the Server stops init because of the missing kernel module. But as you can see in directory the module is really there it searches for.

./lib/modules/2.6.22.19-0.2-default/updates/nvidia.ko
./lib/modules/2.6.22.18-0.2-default/weak-updates/nvidia.ko

As one can see a few lines up there is one line with the message that the module is allready built-in. That sounds like a kernel configuration problem. So I lokked inside config.gz in /proc to see if this is right (as allmost all here possibly know this file is the config of the running kernel). The nvidia module is compiled as module, not as built-in part. So I've been irritated. What's going on here?

The system: KT6-Delta-LSR MB with AMD Athlon XP3100+ and one GB memory. Grafics is MSI FX6200 card with nVidia chip.

The config file, the X config file and the long version (with logverbose 6 run) of /var/log/Xorg.0.log are attached as files. The .txt extension is only to make a work-around for the restrictions here.

Can one tell me what's going on here?

Manfred
Attached Files
File Type: txt X.log2.txt (15.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: txt config.txt (78.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: txt X.conf.txt (3.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 03-12-09, 08:53 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Message "No device found" from X-Server on 2.6.22.18-0.2 Kernel

You can run nvidia-bug-report.sh from the console, and it will scan your system for important log files. Specifically, your system kernel log, which will contain the error message about why the kernel module failed to load. Most likely, the system is trying to load the wrong nvidia.ko file. The "Module already built-in" message has nothing to do with this problem.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 05:47 PM   #5
ManfredP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
You can run nvidia-bug-report.sh from the console, and it will scan your system for important log files. Specifically, your system kernel log, which will contain the error message about why the kernel module failed to load. Most likely, the system is trying to load the wrong nvidia.ko file. The "Module already built-in" message has nothing to do with this problem.
As I saw your comment on the possible wrong file I looked at the file a little bit more in detail and I found out that it is really the wrong version but I don't know if this matter really. It is from 2.6.22.19-0.2 but it is linked to work with 2.6.22.18-0.2 too. What's going on there? The link I never build so I think it is from NVidia or SuSE. The kernel is 2.6.22.18-0.2 but the sources from this are incomplete (missing Makefiles and so on). The 2.6.22.19-0.2 kernel is complete so I think the normally used or planned to be used kernel is 2.6.22.19-0.2. Why the other one is installed here I don't know.

So I now try to recompile the kernel. I have done this some time ago but I lost a little bit connection to this. So I have some problems. The first one is the config file. At former versions this was the file .config in the main directory of the source tree. But now this is a directory. So I have to know how to use the config file made from config.gz from /proc. I want to use this since I don't know how to set each option. Some I don't know how they work or I even don't understand completely. The running kernel of course is a good point to start. Of course I can ask at other place for help but if you can tell it to me it will be faster.

greetings

Manfred
Old 03-23-09, 11:32 AM   #6
ManfredP

Hello,
at this time some additions to the facts posted here before. I now have re-compiled the kernel with the 2.6.22.19-0.2 sources out of the distri. It works very fine and so I thought the kernel module mentioned to be build for exactly this version (as the name says) would work too. But nothing. The Server init (not the server; it didn't come so far) mentioned there is no kernel module to be load and terminate. But now I tried to load the module with insmod (I think init does it the same way) and this error message was that the file is in wrong format. What's that? The file is from NVidia's driver package for the SuSE 10.3 distri. How can it in the wrong format? Are there more than one possible format for kernel module files? Where can I find them to see if these additinal formats are unchecked for accident in kernel sources? What's are other possible reasons for this error (the reason 'corrupted file' I check next -the tenth time I think)?

greetings

Manfred

Some additional info's: As I tried to load the kernel module by myself there are some error messages given there. First that there was no such module but now it is that some symbols used inside the module are not provided anywhere. So I run depmod with some additional optios (-F to let it look for the System.map of the running kernel, -e for additional error checks and -v to see in detail what is going on). It says that nvidia.ko needs symbol 'paravirt_ops'. Afaik the end 'ops' in the symbol means that it is a structure for operations so if this is correct a really big part is missing (a whole api for special operations this sounds like). Since there is no possibility to see what the module do there and for what this is needed this seems a little bit like to be the end of the examination.

I now try to see if this symbol is defined anywhere in the kernel source tree to see if there is any part to be compiled in (as incorporated part or as module) is missing. That's the only possibility to do anything left I think.

Last edited by ManfredP; 04-10-09 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Additions to the informations given in