Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-09, 06:10 PM   #1
Hichhiker

Default Ubuntu 8.10 and 180.xx drivers???

OK, I (no longer) need help.

I have an Ubuntu 8.10 box and NVS 285 video card - which after some issues I got to work using 177 driver packaged distributed through Ubuntu. Everything was ok more or less, but I was getting some screen corruption associated with compiz/awn. I Googled and found a reference to exact problem I had and an answer of "its a known issue with 177 nvidia driver, upgrade". So - not willing to leave well enough, I downloaded 180.29 from NVidia (that is what the NVidia site shows as latest when I plug in NVS 285, Linux, 64bit)

After I ran the 180.29 driver, I can no longer run X - keeps coming up in failsafe mode.

I get an error about "type1" module missing and "Failed to initialize NVidia kernel module". As I look deeper into server logs it is some flavor of hardware or driver not found.

Here are some relevant parts of the Xorg.0.log
Code:
X.Org X Server 1.5.2
Release Date: 10 October 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-15-server x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux DELL025 2.6.27-12-generic #1 SMP Thu Feb 5 09:26:42 UTC 2009 x86_64
(II) LoadModule: "type1"

(WW) Warning, couldn't open module type1
(II) UnloadModule: "type1"
(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "freetype"
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
I have since tried different copies of drivers. Pre-compiled .deb's with 180.xx, 180.18 (someone on this board claims that that's the latest stable driver), 180.37 (because that's the actual latest I could find) and so on.

So now I have no X and I REALLY do not want to re-install everything. I am very comfortable with linux command line, but I am not so familiar with Linux GUI and fairly new to Ubuntu in general - any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Writing this helped me figure out the issue. Seemed like both manual 180.xx and ubuntu's 177.xx kernel modules were loaded at the same time. I have removed ALL packages from my box with "nvidia" in them (apt-get remove nvidia-*) and re-installed 180.37 and it seems to be working fine now. I am still posting this for next person tearing their hair out to have a bit easier time of it. (and yes, seems like awn graphical issues are no longer an issue with 180.xx driver)

-HH
Hichhiker is offline   Reply With Quote