Old 07-28-02, 05:15 PM   #14
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

CD check out my website
Old 07-28-02, 06:21 PM   #15
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Morrowind runs as fast in 1024x768 / Quincunx as it does in 800x600 / no FSAA on my system. I have a P3 800 / Gf4 ti4200. It is definately CPU limited for me. It runs ok, but frame rate dies when I enable shadows.... this is scary, because if my PC can't handle realtime shadows on a few characters, it doesn't stand a chance at running Doom 3 where the whole scene generates realtime shadows.

BTW, the pixel shaded water effect is cool, but it doesn't always accurately reflect the scenery around it.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 07:36 PM   #16
gravioli

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
It runs ok, but frame rate dies when I enable shadows.... this is scary, because if my PC can't handle realtime shadows on a few characters, it doesn't stand a chance at running Doom 3 where the whole scene generates realtime shadows.
Doesn't Neverwinter Nights generate realtime shadows for every object on the screen? It uses OpenGL and runs darn smooth with shadows enabled compared to Morrowind, so maybe the shadows in Doom 3 won't totally destroy your rig.
Old 07-28-02, 11:08 PM   #17
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

How many lights are used in MW, NWN and Doom 3? Remember JC optimises his games for best performance as well. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if D3's shadows take less of a hit than NWN or MW. I don't play with Shadows enabled in MW. Also the amount of objects casting a shadow will also vary so hence will the performance.
Old 07-29-02, 08:07 AM   #18
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
How many lights are used in MW, NWN and Doom 3? Remember JC optimises his games for best performance as well. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if D3's shadows take less of a hit than NWN or MW. I don't play with Shadows enabled in MW. Also the amount of objects casting a shadow will also vary so hence will the performance.
Doesnt D3 only support one lightsource?
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 08:09 AM   #19
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

If so then it would obviously take less of a hit lolz. I really think it would support around 4.
Old 07-30-02, 02:05 PM   #20
The Baron

The game's cool... but it's too easy. WAY too easy.

I'm only level 36 or 37 or so and nothing can come close to killing me.

Oh well. :P

Old 07-31-02, 03:39 AM   #21
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Wheres your difficulty slider set to?
Old 07-31-02, 03:03 PM   #22
koslov
Omnipresent Lurker

My main complaint is that there is nothing to do after you beat Dagoth Ur. Sure, there are plenty of quests left, but they are all very simple and dull. Also, just getting to Dagoth Ur was very simple... I bet I had only explored a quarter of the map. I think if you play the game very well, then beating it is way too easy... there should be an automatic difficulty adjuster. I think I was around level 15 when I beat the game. Also, enchanting makes weaps way too strong. With enchanting, I was able to create a "flying" ring and a "walk-on-water" ring. I guess that made it a little too easy for me, since I could fly all the way up Red Mountain. But it was still kinda neat hovering over the heads of the enemies and seeing all the architecture from above.

That's what I think I loved the most... the architecture. It was so varied and imaginative that I just fell in love with it.

I think when I forget the storyline enough, I'll start a new character and try to play through it again, maybe with some of the mods. Are there any good mods out recently besides the pack guar mod?
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 04:03 AM   #23
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

There are millions just look aorund
Old 08-01-02, 08:47 AM   #24
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Err Dude! I am running roughly around 1.8gig. You know 1 way of ganing framrate is to close of al things in bg like explorer and other services in XP and overclock your video card to extremes. Unless it is going 20fps on my system but feels like it's moving at 30fps+.
Naah, my card -GF3 ti 200 is OC'd to 220/500 and most of the things are shut -ok zonealarm is not. But hey.

I think that quadratic lightning and lack of shadows improve the performance for you.

What is quadratic lightning like?

You said ur having 35 FPS + all the time... and that is impressive for P4 1.8 I'd think.

Mine is usually around 25-27 in towns, sometimes dips to 20-21, and outside the towns 30-40. Still no problems but I have to keep the view slider at @ 1/3 in the towns - sometimes outside I slilde it all way trough to enjoy the view but I have to change it when I arrive to the cities.

edit: I took a look at your website here from work, but I can't see much (perhaps because I don't have digital vibrance option here) but can you post some downsized image in a city during the day, for us to see that quadratic lightning effect (while wea re at work and can't play with the settings )

- and yes - for those who say it is too easy - go for next charachter who doesn't use magic - or is really bad at it, and try again at most difficult setting. I hope it should be fun again espec as you have not done many minor quests most likely at the first try.

Last edited by druga runda; 08-01-02 at 09:00 AM.
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote