Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-09, 10:36 AM   #1
saly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
Default NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

Hi! I am running Arch Linux x86_64 and have NVidia GeForce 8400M G card.
I have installed the 185.13 driver, but VDPAU still does not work. I have tried another 2 previous versions of the driver(I do not remember the exact versions), but they did not work too. Everything should be in the logs, so if you want to know something, ask me :-)

P.S.: And I am using this package of mplayer: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22231 (using the mplayer VDPAU code)

P.S. 2: I tried almost every movie from my PC and also a sample movie recommended somewhere here as a sample: http://inventaaustralia.zftp.com.nyu...3MBPS30sec.mpg

Nvidia-bug-report.log here: http://data.primatrida.org/nvidia-bug-report.log

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mplayer-log.txt (1.3 KB, 152 views)
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 10:45 AM   #2
clarious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Hi! I am running Arch Linux x86_64 and have NVidia GeForce 8400M G card.
I have installed the 185.13 driver, but VDPAU still does not work. I have tried another 2 previous versions of the driver(I do not remember the exact versions), but they did not work too. Everything should be in the logs, so if you want to know something, ask me :-)

P.S.: And I am using this package of mplayer: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22231 (using the mplayer VDPAU code)

P.S. 2: I tried almost every movie from my PC and also a sample movie recommended somewhere here as a sample: http://inventaaustralia.zftp.com.nyu...3MBPS30sec.mpg

Nvidia-bug-report.log here: http://data.primatrida.org/nvidia-bug-report.log

Thank you.

You should try the lastest svn version of mplayer, here is the build file for arch (I copy/pasted from 2 other build files), you may want to check it before building as I added some of my personal options to it

(rename the file to PKGBUILD)

EDIT: your video plays fine here
Attached Files
File Type: txt PKGBUILD.txt (1.6 KB, 128 views)
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 10:52 AM   #3
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarious View Post
You should try the lastest svn version of mplayer, here is the build file for arch (I copy/pasted from 2 other build files), you may want to check it before building as I added some of my personal options to it
Please avoid the following options for ./configure - they force options instead of auto-detecting them:
enable-x11, enable-gl, enable-liblzo
Why do you disable dvdnav? It works well for me.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 10:55 AM   #4
clarious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
Please avoid the following options for ./configure - they force options instead of auto-detecting them:
enable-x11, enable-gl, enable-liblzo
Why do you disable dvdnav? It works well for me.

Carl Eugen
I said that I copy/pasted from another configs (too lazy to read the readme properly :P ) and since I worked well for me, I just let those options there,

Anyway, thank for the tip, I will change it now
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 10:58 AM   #5
saly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarious View Post
You should try the lastest svn version of mplayer, here is the build file for arch (I copy/pasted from 2 other build files), you may want to check it before building as I added some of my personal options to it

(rename the file to PKGBUILD)

EDIT: your video plays fine here
Well, I think every time you do makepkg on -svn package, it downloads the newest revison.
My mplayer is SVN revision 28943 and this (I hope) is the newest.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 11:02 AM   #6
clarious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Well, I think every time you do makepkg on -svn package, it downloads the newest revison.
My mplayer is SVN revision 28943 and this (I hope) is the newest.
Ah yes, you are using the lastest version, I have only checked the page of the package without checking the PKGBUILD (it says 28785-1)
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 03:06 PM   #7
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Hi! I am running Arch Linux x86_64 and have NVidia GeForce 8400M G card.
I have installed the 185.13 driver, but VDPAU still does not work.
Could you try vdpauinfo? You find it somewhere in this forum.
If it doesn't work for you, you should try to fix it first.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 03:44 PM   #8
saly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

bash-3.2$ ./vdpinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
Error creating VDPAU device: 25

Any idea what should I do?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-09, 05:16 PM   #9
dk75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 171
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

uninstall all old drviers and then install new?
__________________
  • Linux Debian Sid x86_64/ 3.2.0
  • Lenovo T61p
  • NVIDIA driver 295.33
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 05:18 PM   #10
DeiF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 114
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

You are triggering the same bug than me.
I reported it to NVidia long ago. They said it's a problem in the driver, not in VDPAU.
I was starting to despair, because nobody else was experiencing the same problem. Now they maybe will raise the priority and we get a fix soon.

I have the same card than you (8400M G). Using OpenSuSE 11.1.

The fact is that a very early version of the driver (maybe 17x.xx, I don't remember) worked fine.
Messing with Xorg options (composite, etc) did not help. Mplayer SVN did not help. Updating the kernel did not help. Tried with KDE4, Xfce, LXDE... but did not help. No compiz, no 3D effects.

Vdpinfo shows the same result than you. The Mplayer log is also the same.
It happens with every movie.


I have another PC with VDPAU working, so I'm absolutely sure I'm following the correct steps. Moreover I already stated that a previous driver worked fine with it.
DeiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 05:34 PM   #11
saly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk75 View Post
uninstall all old drviers and then install new?
Man, read once again, what I have said, I have already the newest version of drivers
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 02:54 AM   #12
dk75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 171
Default Re: NVidia VDPAU doesn't work at all

yes, and "vdpinfo" gives you **** like with no drivers or series =<7 card

post this comands results:
Code:
nvidia-settings -g | head -n 25
lsmod | grep -i nvidia
lspci | grep -i vga
find /lib -iregex '.*nvidia.*' -type f -print
find /usr/lib -iregex '.*nvidia.*' -type f -print
or better attach the nvidia-bug-report.log
__________________
  • Linux Debian Sid x86_64/ 3.2.0
  • Lenovo T61p
  • NVIDIA driver 295.33
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 12:04 PM
NVIDIA VDPAU Reference Benchmarks News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 06:30 AM
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 09:35 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.