Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-17-09, 01:00 PM   #1
kraigc
kagogi jum ju ship shiyo!

Default LONG solid beep buring post

Moved the computer across town, when I went to start it up, went fine, then froze. Realized my pump went out and ordered new cpu. Now Im getting one long continuous beep. Is an asus P5N and a q6600. Wondering if its the ram. Running crucial ballistix. Ran fine, moved, went to crap. Pulled all ram and started it with just cpu and gpu OUT of the case. 1 long beep 2 short beeps. Put ram in and back to long beep.
2G Corsair XMS PC6400
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 512 (g92)
Audigy 2 ZS
80GB Seagate Barracuda
80GB Maxtor
Plextor 708A DVD-/+RW
Plextor 716A DVD-/+RW
kraigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 01:28 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: LONG solid beep buring post

what CPU were you using before?

the reason i ask is some boards may require a BIOS update if youre moving to a quad core cpu.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 01:53 PM   #3
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigc View Post
Moved the computer across town, when I went to start it up, went fine, then froze. Realized my pump went out and ordered new cpu. Now Im getting one long continuous beep. Is an asus P5N and a q6600. Wondering if its the ram. Running crucial ballistix. Ran fine, moved, went to crap. Pulled all ram and started it with just cpu and gpu OUT of the case. 1 long beep 2 short beeps. Put ram in and back to long beep.
Hmm, ram is generally just a few long beeps... The one long and two short was because of the video card. One constant beep sounds like something is either grounded out or a wire hooked up wrong. If the cpu is bad normally the computer doesn't make any beeps at all, so I'd say that part is probably working.

EDIT: I probably know what it is actually. You forgot to power something. The GPU will make that long ass squeal if you forget to give it power. Check and make sure that the 4 or 8 pin CPU power is plugged in, all 24 pins into the board, and the auxiliary power for your graphics card. If you have a modular PSU also check those plugs. I've plugged them in on the card before, but forgot to plug them into the PSU.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 07:02 PM   #4
kraigc
kagogi jum ju ship shiyo!

replaced the processor with the same model. its not the power to the gpu, i know that squeel bc I tested it. it sounds like the normal post beep, but it lasts indefinately. everything is connected properly, i checked about 30 times lol.
2G Corsair XMS PC6400
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 512 (g92)
Audigy 2 ZS
80GB Seagate Barracuda
80GB Maxtor
Plextor 708A DVD-/+RW
Plextor 716A DVD-/+RW
kraigc is offline   Reply With Quote