Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-09, 03:49 PM   #73
Sean_W

Default Re: IE8 -FINAL- for download

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
Acid3 does NOT test standards. Period.

IE8 complies fully with CSS 2.1 W3C recommendations (aka standards). In fact, as the only browser. CSS 2.1 is what does truly matter to webdesigners.

But Acid3 tests some CSS3 stuff which still has draft status, some unfinished HTML5 specs (not even in draft status, just "suggestions" here and there) and plenty of Javascript dependent on that.

Passing Acid3 test in fact means NOT conforming to W3C standards!

It would be a very bad move to support some random HTML5 tags and some random CSS3 approaches in IE8 just to pass Acid3, as these suggestions could not be altered anymore. IE8 implementing them would basically mean they would HAVE TO become a standard, even when they are still far from ideal state.

Passing Acid3 test with 100 score is pure marketing, and only IT uneducated people are impressed by that.

IE still doesn't support SVG and SVG fonts is one that web devs want. Yes Microsoft contributed to CSS 2.1 but they don't support many others when all other browsers do. All other browsers don't break websites because they get high or 100% Acid3 scores.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 04:05 PM   #74
mojoman0

still not 1 crash in a week of use on multiple machines here. Have not had a compatibility issue either. That acid test is pure BS. Everyone knows as well that javascript runs faster on the firefox/chrome engines but in real life performance IE8 takes the cake.
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 04:26 PM   #75
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

IE8 is definitely very fast and certainly has been a joy to use.

A lot of really nice features and some cross browser features as well.

Going to start using it at work as well soon, to try it out.

Chrome is still my browser of choice, mainly on my HTPC just because of speed and rendering.

I do not like the speed-dial implementation but otherwise it is pretty cool. FF is seeing less and less usage on my box and Opera is also taking a back seat.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 04:34 PM   #76
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182 View Post
but it is getting funny seeing you get bent all out of shape because people don't share your love for IE.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/IE8...soft,7361.html

would seem there are more people happier with what they had, or having to make a "new" browser behave like the old one that didn't follow the standards because the new one doesn't correctly either.
Since when have people NOT been happier with what they have?

Office 2007 was a quantum leap in functionality, speed and productivity over previous version of Office and other productivity packages and yet people got their panties in a bunch because they were upset abour ribbons.

Vista, likewise, was disliked because a bunch of people got their panties in a bunch because 3'rd party driver devs like Creative Labs and Nvidia apparently could not produce a half-decent launch driver even after 1+ year of knowing the specs. Result, people were more than happy with what they had and did not move on, even with the improved functionality of the new OS.

Without pushing the envelope, we would likely all still be walking around or riding horses while using the nice round shaped items as tables.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 05:10 PM   #77
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Since when have people NOT been happier with what they have?
Without pushing the envelope, we would likely all still be walking around or riding horses while using the nice round shaped items as tables.
IE8 isn't really pushing the envelope as much as catching up. To its credit it did a lot of things right for once, and it is defiantly a step in the right direction, but its not the shinning beckon of hope in browser land that language of the OP hinted at.

What got some of the people in this thread to get up in arms (bored at work nothing more fun than causing trouble on forums, I mean we all do it right?) is the language used. It reeked of FUD. Had it been more, I think IE8 is a great improvement and anyone using IE7 needs to switch because of x... I think a few people would have said nothing, or shared their like of the new browser.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 05:52 PM   #78
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Quote:
IE8 isn't really pushing the envelope as much as catching up.
IE8 does have some unique features (as pointed earlier), but every browser has those. It does not matter if you prefer IE 8, FF 3, Safari 4, Opera 9 or Google Chrome, all are very good browsers in some aspects.

So there were 4 good browsers, and now we have 5, which will certainly -not- make many people to switch.

Install base of IE8 will grow with Windows 7.

For me, IE8 is a clear choice. I prefer its speed comparing to FF (which is very slow to start, plus XUL UI is slow), accelerators, developer tools (plus IE DebugBar from CoreServices + IE Tester), but some other people prefer 10+ Firefox extensions, yet other all-in-one Opera approach.

Those are all geeks

For most people, it does not matter. They could not care less about a browser. Some have IE7, some have FF3 with zero extensions (because somebody else installed it for them), some have Safari on OS X and do not care about installing anything else.

There is nothing like a "browser war" anymore...
Old 03-25-09, 08:29 PM   #79
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
There is nothing like a "browser war" anymore...
unless you are MS and getting sued by the EU for pre packaging your browser in the OS >.<

most retarded lawsuit ever (or at least up there)
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
Old 03-26-09, 08:46 AM   #80
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
unless you are MS and getting sued by the EU for pre packaging your browser in the OS >.<

most retarded lawsuit ever (or at least up there)
MS is getting sued by everone, did you heard the latest? they are being used for windows update.

some patent bull****

Old 03-26-09, 08:50 AM   #81
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
MS is getting sued by everone, did you heard the latest? they are being used for windows update.

some patent bull****
yep, being sued for the intelligent bandwidth manager for file transfer or some such.