Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-07-08, 11:01 AM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Now that there is no longer competition between Blu-ray and HD DVD, Blu-ray prices have started showing an increasing trend going by this TG Daily report. As a result, while the consumer can now safely pick-up a Blu-ray player knowing that the HD disc format war has finished, the bad news is that it may not be until much later in the year that Blu-ray disc player prices start going back down again. In the meantime, HD DVD players have sharply fallen in price as retailers try clearing out their remaining stock, with the HD-A3 reaching $102 and the HD-A30 reaching $137.

Most Blu-ray players have kept a very stable price, followed by a light upward trend after the official HD DVD is dead announcement from Toshiba. According to TG Daily, they expect little hope in any significant cut in Blu-ray player prices over the next six months, with industry sources saying that the first under-$300 players are not expected until December.

Besides Blu-ray player prices, going by this Punch Jump report, some Blu-ray disc prices have also gone up following Toshiba's ending of HD DVD. For example, on Amazon.com the popular Planet Earth Series on Blu-ray has gone up from $54.95 to $66.95 and Spider-Man Trilogy Blu-ray title has made a significant jump from $48.95 to $64.95. On the other hand, some retailers still have Blu-ray title promotions either offering discounts on select titles or free Blu-ray disc bundles with certain players.

As we reported before, Blu-ray will eventually have to face competition from on-demand HD services, either by broadcast (satellite and cable) or as downloads. However, at least in this case, what ever titles studios release on demand, they are most likely to release these also on Blu-ray disc. In the meantime, much more effort will need to be put in to convince consumers to replace their DVD player with a Blu-ray disc player, so even though Blu-ray no longer has competition from HD DVD, they still need low enough prices to attract consumers. Since many consumers are still perfectly happy with the picture from their DVD player, this switch will certainly not be as simple as the switch from VHS to DVD.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Blu-ray...VDs-death.html
Old 03-07-08, 11:25 AM   #2
Revs

Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Bad news. And they wonder why people

I wonder how the production costs compare to DVD's. BluRay just seems like a ripoff to me. I expected prices of players and discs to have dropped alot by now. It looks like it's going the other way.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 11:52 AM   #3
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

I am sure if it was the other war round, hddvd prices would have gone up as well.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 01:05 PM   #4
AthlonXP1800

The real reason that Blu-ray prices go up not because of HD-DVD death, it actually because of very weaking US dollar due to US economy slowed down Bush just announced now.

At today exchange rate, the US dollar is now worth $1.00000, the $1 bill could be worthless anytime soon when it fall again. If it fall in 2 weeks then I can get $5 for just 1 or $1 for a merry 20 pence!
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 02:08 PM   #5
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
At today exchange rate, the US dollar is now worth $1.00000

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 02:49 PM   #6
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
At today exchange rate, the US dollar is now worth $1.00000
Sell Sell Sell !!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-08, 04:19 PM   #7
Lyme

Quote:
The real reason that Blu-ray prices go up not because of HD-DVD death, it actually because of very weaking US dollar due to US economy slowed down Bush just announced now.

At today exchange rate, the US dollar is now worth $1.00000, the $1 bill could be worthless anytime soon when it fall again. If it fall in 2 weeks then I can get $5 for just 1 or $1 for a merry 20 pence!
As the players and movies are not manufactured in the USA, and prices for all the items have gone up worldwide, your reasoning doesn't hold much water.

The likely cause is that BD prices were being subsidized during the format war, and now the parties involved are trying to recoup some of the losses.

While Blu-Ray has won against hd-dvd, it doesn't look like it is gaining much traction against plain dvd. At the price point, I don't think it will either.

On a tangent, the HDi emulator used for making/testing interactive content on hd-dvd's is now free http://blogs.msdn.com/amyd/archive/2...-now-free.aspx
You can now make dvd-9 dvd's with interactive content that will run on hd-dvd players.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 04:44 PM   #8
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
As the players and movies are not manufactured in the USA, and prices for all the items have gone up worldwide, your reasoning doesn't hold much water.
I checked Blu-ray prices on UK sites and all are unchanged then Blu-ray prices here in UK not increased.

US Blu-ray movies are manufactured at Spokane, WA in the USA for the US market while UK and Europe Blu-ray movies are manufactured in Europe.

Also checked Blu-ray 25GB & 50GB blank discs on USA & UK Froogle, the prices hadnt increased at all, same prices but the prices on Amazon.com doubled so I guess it just that Amazon increased the prices while other sites not increased the prices.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-08, 08:23 PM   #9
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

Quote:

I swear i shouldn't say this but this guy has a bullsye on his forehead.

Bush is going to go down as one of the worse presidents in history.

Bad everywhere but the rich aren't effected so if any of you who have millions like the Dartheavis guy, than Bush isn't effecting you any.

I boaght a buch of HDDVD's and like them alot.

This Blu Ray thing is a joke and the devs should offer movies on both formats.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 03-08-08, 12:14 PM   #10
Lyme

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/hd-dvds-...prices-up/5310
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 12:39 PM   #11
ViN86

"yea... they wont price gouge BD or anything"

and they called me stupid for supporting HD-DVD.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 01:22 PM   #12
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i said that this would happen