Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-09, 04:39 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Last Remnant PC activation issues

WOW what a big screw up.

The PC version of The Last Remnant, which launches today in Europe, cannot be played nor installed as far as we - and a Eurogamer reader with the same problem (and an entire Steam forum with the same problem) - can ascertain.

The problem revolves around Steam, with which the game needs to be activated using a registration code found on the back of the manual.

Any attempt to do so, however, is met by the following message: "The Last Remnant has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check Steam news to find out the release time. Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked."

Worryingly, The Last Remnant is not due for launch on Steam until 9th April, when it will become the first Square Enix game on the digital distribution service.

Square Enix was unavailable to tell us whether we will have to wait until then to activate and play the game. We'll keep chasing them. It's not like we can sit here playing the game after all.

Thanks to Eurogamer reader John Garbutt for pointing this out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/th...playable-on-pc

Will they have to wait till April 9th?
Old 03-20-09, 04:47 PM   #2
Medion

Default Re: Last Remnant PC activation issues

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...58&postcount=2

Quote:
From what I've read, and not played, it was an average to above average console RPG with some technical issues. If you prefer console RPGs, there are few on the PC, so it might be worth getting. However, keep in mind that Square has a horrid record with PC ports, even with games that didn't have issues on the consoles. I'd cautiously wait on some reviews for the PC version.
Seriously, NEVER touch a PC game made by Square. FF7 PC was so bad, it actually overshadowed all of the glitches with Sin (they were released within a month of each other). FF8 was so bad, not even the JRPG PC crowd would touch it. FF11 was relatively bug free, but was the most literal PS2 port seen at the time, so it had all kinds of configuration issues, and poor performance.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 04:51 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

ok, But this activation issue is actually Steam fault, it has nothing to do with coding. They can't play the game because steam has it locked down till April 9th.
Old 03-20-09, 04:59 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...58&postcount=2

Seriously, NEVER touch a PC game made by Square. FF7 PC was so bad, it actually overshadowed all of the glitches with Sin (they were released within a month of each other). FF8 was so bad, not even the JRPG PC crowd would touch it. FF11 was relatively bug free, but was the most literal PS2 port seen at the time, so it had all kinds of configuration issues, and poor performance.
Actually Square never had anything to do with the Final Fantasy 7 port, both it and 8 were handled by Eidos. Final Fantasy XI was done pretty well on the PC, it really only fails in regards to controls.
Old 03-20-09, 05:11 PM   #5
Mangler
DRM is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
WOW what a big screw up.

The PC version of The Last Remnant, which launches today in Europe, cannot be played nor installed as far as we - and a Eurogamer reader with the same problem (and an entire Steam forum with the same problem) - can ascertain.

The problem revolves around Steam, with which the game needs to be activated using a registration code found on the back of the manual.

Any attempt to do so, however, is met by the following message: "The Last Remnant has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check Steam news to find out the release time. Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked."

Worryingly, The Last Remnant is not due for launch on Steam until 9th April, when it will become the first Square Enix game on the digital distribution service.

Square Enix was unavailable to tell us whether we will have to wait until then to activate and play the game. We'll keep chasing them. It's not like we can sit here playing the game after all.

Thanks to Eurogamer reader John Garbutt for pointing this out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/th...playable-on-pc

Will they have to wait till April 9th?
My copy works, maybe they tried to activate the game too early?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 05:24 PM   #6
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Yeah, this happened with Empire Total War and Saint's Row 2 and some other games, but was quickly corrected afterward.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 07:25 PM   #7
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Actually Square never had anything to do with the Final Fantasy 7 port, both it and 8 were handled by Eidos. Final Fantasy XI was done pretty well on the PC, it really only fails in regards to controls.
Incorrect. Eidos handled the US publishing of the port, but the port was done in house at Square. However, Square did request help from some people at 3Dfx early in the development, as well as some outside help for DirectX programming.

Eidos wasn't even the publisher for FF8 PC, EA was. That was around the time that Square and EA made a publishing agreement, where EA would publish Square games in the US, and vice versa.
Old 03-20-09, 07:45 PM   #8
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

The PC version of last remnant is a beautiful game.

Old 03-20-09, 09:05 PM   #9
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
Incorrect. Eidos handled the US publishing of the port, but the port was done in house at Square. However, Square did request help from some people at 3Dfx early in the development, as well as some outside help for DirectX programming.

Eidos wasn't even the publisher for FF8 PC, EA was. That was around the time that Square and EA made a publishing agreement, where EA would publish Square games in the US, and vice versa.
They requested help from 3DFX then ditched the Glide support right before launch. :: Bad move as the Glide version ran so much much smoother.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 03:55 AM   #10
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
They requested help from 3DFX then ditched the Glide support right before launch. :: Bad move as the Glide version ran so much much smoother.
Yup. When they released that first playable demo, it was beautiful. When the retail game came out, I was pissed because of all the changes. It was the worst case of demo tweaking I had ever seen. Off the top of my head, here were the things changed for retail, from the first demo.

-Music changed to MIDI
-Direct3D only
-they forgot to include the proper video codec, so many people had issues with FMV (I was one of them)
Old 03-21-09, 09:30 AM   #11
bardiche

hi guys i know this might be a bit off topic but

does this game include any other sort of drm such as SecuROm or limited number of game activations in the retial boxed copy

can someone who has the retail copy confirm this :P

many thanks
bardiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 11:00 AM   #12
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

It uses Steam, the most intrusive DRM out there (but people love it).
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote