Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-09, 01:06 PM   #1
deadplayer
*BANNED*

Default Ex-WoW Players Come In

Credit goes to Source

Quote:
I'm an ex-WoW player. I started playing World of Warcraft about a year after it was launched and continued to play it until the end of The Burning Crusade. However, towards the end of my WoW life, I became disenfranchised with the game and began to look elsewhere for my kicks. What started as harmless flirting with other MMOs turned into a full-blown crusade to find that game that would topple WoW from its thrown.

Like so many before me, my crusade would fail.
Quote:
I'm not too sure whether it is this crusade on the part of ex-WoW players or another, hidden element that causes one of the most amusing occurrences in gamers I have ever seen. When you ask an ex-WoW player what they think of WoW, you had better be prepared for one of the most brutal and venomous attacks that you are likely to ever hear. They will cuss and blind about how the game is rubbish. They will bitch and moan about how it is a grind. They will rant and rave about questing, the community, the developers, the graphics, the Murlocs and pretty much anything else they can think of at any given moment. They will NOT - under any circumstances - praise the game. Perhaps the most interesting element of this whole affair is the following: even people who have played WoW for a short period and not liked it will not go into such depth about how poor the game is. Ex-WoW players are a hideous bunch.
Just wondering, did WoW have a such influence on players?
deadplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 07:21 PM   #2
glObalist
working as intended

Default Re: Ex-WoW Players Come In

I too played WoW for about 1.5 years. It was a most magical gaming experience and I loved the game, everything about it, even the PvP which I sucked at majorly. Only problem was I became too addicted to it. So I quit.

The other day I installed a trial of WotLK and couldn't get myself to play for more than an hour. I guess one's preferences change over time, lol.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 01:02 AM   #3
Atomizer

That kind of sums it up I guess, ive played over 700 hours of WoW, now, I consider it garbage, well, I do think its good at what it does, but like every mmo out there, are a bit too binocular focused, and lack the freedom that EQ1 presented before it, not even EQ2, can match EQ1s freedom. I challenge anyone to find a game that offers more freedom.
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 01:35 AM   #4
Rakeesh

I still play it. I can see how an addiction could piss somebody off though. I kind of was addicted for about two months immediately following the release of WOTLK, but I started reducing my time on to about 4 hours a day for maybe 4 days a week, and this is pretty much all of the gaming I do these days.

I think the only reason I still play this game is because the FPS games have really started to suck over the last 5 years, and I almost never play them anymore (TF2 is about the only fun FPS right now.) That and after you advance your character so far, you tend to really get into the game even if you don't play it much (seriously I've built a character that I think people would really pay some bucks for if I was interested in selling.)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 06:06 AM   #5
Badboy_12345

It was fun in the start. I was in the beta and played for 1 year after the game launched.
But then it became old.

I have played LOTRO, WAR + a bunch of other mmo's. Now Im waiting for Aion.
Lotro and War are 10 times better than WoW ever was or is as they should be, they came after.

But people are stuck in the WoW universe and cant let go. Compared to other mmos out now and are coming, WoW is utterly crap. Like ultima online is utterly crap today when compared.
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 01:30 PM   #6
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
But people are stuck in the WoW universe and cant let go. Compared to other mmos out now and are coming, WoW is utterly crap. Like ultima online is utterly crap today when compared.
I dunno, I've been playing wow for about 1.5 years and I've actually known a few people who have left for these MMO's for 5 months or so and then later come back. I remember a ton of people I knew left for AoC and pretty much every one of them has come back.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 01:26 AM   #7
Atomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
I dunno, I've been playing wow for about 1.5 years and I've actually known a few people who have left for these MMO's for 5 months or so and then later come back. I remember a ton of people I knew left for AoC and pretty much every one of them has come back.
Mainly because they have had the holding power, AoC messed up the combat imo, trying to improve it but ended up with an abomination, though the real reason I think people left was because at launch, once you hit level 40-50, there was virtually no content, it was tough to find a nice place to level
Old 08-05-09, 11:29 AM   #8
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomizer View Post
That kind of sums it up I guess, ive played over 700 hours of WoW, now, I consider it garbage, well, I do think its good at what it does, but like every mmo out there, are a bit too binocular focused, and lack the freedom that EQ1 presented before it, not even EQ2, can match EQ1s freedom. I challenge anyone to find a game that offers more freedom.
what shiat is this? more freedom? By the very definition, WoWs open world and ability to fly, talent specs, and having different ways to gear makes wow lightyears ahead of eq when it comes to doing what you want to do. Troll more.

People who play mmo's for a long time and then burn out on it are mearly hating themselves for putting so much time into the game. I play wow quite abit, but mainly because theres nothing else to play. Maybe if other companies put as much work into their games as blizzard does.

Old 08-06-09, 04:55 AM   #9
Atomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
what shiat is this? more freedom? By the very definition, WoWs open world and ability to fly, talent specs, and having different ways to gear makes wow lightyears ahead of eq when it comes to doing what you want to do. Troll more.

People who play mmo's for a long time and then burn out on it are mearly hating themselves for putting so much time into the game. I play wow quite abit, but mainly because theres nothing else to play. Maybe if other companies put as much work into their games as blizzard does.
Youve never played EQ1 have you? WoW has 2 factions, a human cant go into a night elf city and start killing night elves, in EQ1 you can kill ANY NPC, ANY. You could also drop stuff on the ground such as coins or any item, one trick quite often used was to drop a plat on the ground at a city entrance, then use a level 1(or 4? I forget) spell called "Minor Illusion"(for Enchanters only), it will change you into a nearby object, so then you just pick up your coin and watch as people try to pick you up as they run by.

Back on the topic of killing any NPC, you also gain and lose faction for just about everything you kill, and same goes for pretty much every quest, which allowed anyone to become aligned with whatever city they wanted, no fixed factions, no "cant kill your own faction npcs" crap, no restrictions on just about anything.
THAT is what I am talking about when I say freedom.
Old 08-08-09, 04:58 PM   #10
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

WoW is great. Best-designed and most fun MMORPG out there, nothing will change in that regard till Blizzard's next one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_Bandit
The game just isn't worth playing these days, and the sooner everyone quits throwing their money into WoW, the sooner we'll see Blizzard release a better MMORPG.
LOL, what are you talking about? WoW's better than it's ever been right now. Just because you burned yourself out doesn't make it a bad game.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 12:59 AM   #11
Zelda_fan

I think rants have less to do with the quality of the game (IMHO WoW is the highest quality MMORPG out there) and more to do with how pissed off they are that a video game literally burned away a year of their life (and I literally mean a solid year of log in time).

I got to around 24 days of play time myself before I called it quits.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 01:02 AM   #12
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I played WoW for a grand total of 0 minutes and spent $0 on it total

However, I did thoroughly enjoy the South Park episode depicting the intricacies of the the world, of Warcraft
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote