Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-09, 01:51 PM   #1
Tux

Default [Bug Report] nvidia-xconfig will not set BusID, when using 2 more more nvidia cards

Problem I am having is that when I install a new driver and run nvidia-xconfig it does not put in the BusID for my card or any ID's rather for my card saying what the card is etc.

What this will do is then cause X to not start and give a "no screens found" message.

The easiest way to fix this is by typing nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus. This will cause all the proper information to be written to the xorg.conf file that i need to startx. To clean up the xorg.conf file i just simply remove all things device1, screen1, etc.. and leave all the ones that end with a 0 there instead since i only have a monitor on the first card.

Is there anyone else having this issue? Id personally like to see the nvidia-xconfig script write the ID information of the cards to the xorg.conf file so other users wont have to find out like i did how to fix the problem. It might scare away newbie linux users once they find they cannot start X after they update their driver since they dont know how to correct it.

I have not found this problem listed anywhere but when i asked about this on #nvidia from irc.freenode.net i was told this is an xorg problem not an nvidia problem. Im told that by default X doesnt need the BusID of the card because it will probe and find it when launching the xorg.conf file. However if this is the case then the nvidia-xconfig script isnt writing something it needs to the config file for that to happen until i type --enable-all-gpus. Keep in mind Xorg says its an nvidia problem not an xorg problem.

I just hope someone fixes the problem

Im using:
Fedora 10 64bit
4GB (4x1gb) Corsair XMS2 PC6400 4-4-4-5 @2T
Tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 08:05 PM   #2
Tux

Default Re: [Bug Report] nvidia-xconfig will not set BusID, when using 2 more more nvidia car

ttt
Old 03-23-09, 12:43 AM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: [Bug Report] nvidia-xconfig will not set BusID, when using 2 more more nvidia car

This is a bug in the X server. It is supposed to use the primary device automatically if no BusID is listed, but the code to do that is broken in recent servers. You can tell nvidia-xconfig to query your GPUs and write the BusIDs by using the -a option.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 06:01 PM   #4
Tux

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
This is a bug in the X server. It is supposed to use the primary device automatically if no BusID is listed, but the code to do that is broken in recent servers. You can tell nvidia-xconfig to query your GPUs and write the BusIDs by using the -a option.
Ty for the reply. I do have to ask though for nvidias customers wouldn't it be a good idea to automatically make the nvidia-xconfig program run by default for the -a flag? Or maybe put the information out about this issue somewhere easy to find so linux sli users will know what to do? We currently have distros out there such as fedora saying to not use nvidia drivers because the installer messes things up. I dont want that to be the stigma of nvidia drivers when nvidia has been the leader for a decade for Linux driver support.
Old 03-24-09, 09:58 AM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

For a number of reasons, nvidia-xconfig won't touch your hardware unless you use the -a option. In non- -a mode, all it does is change your driver to "nvidia" and remove a few options that interfere with the driver. It attempts to preserve any options that were already listed, such as BusID. If your system has more than one GPU, I believe you need the BusID line no matter which driver you're using, so the problem of X not being able to find the primary GPU is not unique to the nvidia driver or nvidia-xconfig. Changing nvidia-xconfig's default behavior to act like -a is enabled is not the correct solution. The X server needs to be fixed.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote