Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-11-11, 05:41 PM   #1
aaahhh52
gahboo?

Send a message via AIM to aaahhh52
Default Win XP: BSOD now hanging at Verifying DMI Pool

Ok so i was listening to itunes and browsing the web when all of a sudden i get a BSOD. I didn't even get time to read it before my pc restarted. Now it won't get past the bios screen where it says "Verifying DMI pool" I've gone through the bios and changed up the boot order a few different ways but nothing is working. I haven't really been big into PC's in years so i'm kind of at a loss of what to do and where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Pc:
Gigabye k8n-SLI NF4
AMD x2 4600+
Evga 7900gs 256mb
1gb pc 3200
160gb SATA II
aaahhh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 06:21 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Win XP: BSOD now hanging at Verifying DMI Pool

A positron is coliding with a negatron causing the neutralysis-effect which leads to the boot-loop you're experiencing.

What you need to do is flush the cylindrical-hydrometer of any and all plasmodiumcarbonate before recycling the uranium-alcholide-depositor. That should get you back up and running.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 06:22 PM   #3
Redeemed

Seriously though- it could be a number of things. I'd reset your BIOS to bone-stock settings, try one stick of RAM at a time, maybe even disconnect HDD and see if it get's past that point.

Judging from the specs in your sig... might be time to upgrade.
Old 03-11-11, 06:51 PM   #4
aaahhh52
gahboo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Seriously though- it could be a number of things. I'd reset your BIOS to bone-stock settings, try one stick of RAM at a time, maybe even disconnect HDD and see if it get's past that point.

Judging from the specs in your sig... might be time to upgrade.
LOL yeah this is my old rig from like 06 i believe so definetly agree on the upgrading part. I unplugged the HD and a moved on from the verifying dmi pool to:

(nvidia boot agent

Client mac addr: etc etc etc etc...

PXE-E53: no boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Nvidia Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER)

I havent gotten this far with the HD plugged in so I'm assuming some type of HD problem?

New Pc:
Gigabye k8n-SLI NF4
AMD x2 4600+
Evga 7900gs 256mb
1gb pc 3200
160gb SATA II
Old 03-12-11, 01:31 AM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaahhh52 View Post
LOL yeah this is my old rig from like 06 i believe so definetly agree on the upgrading part. I unplugged the HD and a moved on from the verifying dmi pool to:

(nvidia boot agent

Client mac addr: etc etc etc etc...

PXE-E53: no boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Nvidia Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER)

I havent gotten this far with the HD plugged in so I'm assuming some type of HD problem?
Possibly.

Try plugging the drive in again and see what happens. If it wont pass the Verifying DMI part, then try booting with the drive in each SATA port (try one port, if it doesn't pass, try the next port, etc), try different SATA data and power cables.

Once you've exhausted all options, won't hurt to go into the BIOS and make certain your SATA ports aren't setup for RAID when you're not using one, or any other oddity like that. If that checks out... likely the HDD holding up your rig meaning you need a new HDD. Good news about this is it's cheaper to fix and you can still rock your current rig. Bad news is, unless you feel like forking out tons of cash you just lost all your data.

Not too long ago my buddy's PSU went in one of his rigs, was a cheap PSU that came with one of his Apevia brand cases. It apparently took the HDD out with out. Put a known good and working OCZ GameXtreme PSU in his rig, connected everything and the unit wouldn't fire up. Disconnected all non-POST-critical components, rig fired up fine. Slowly started connecting devices one by one and it'd power up fine, untill I plugged his HDD in. Unit wouldn't even spin the fans with his HDD in. Not only did his PSU die, but it took his HDD with it. Never had an HDD prevent a rig from powering up so this was a first for me.

Anyhow, hope you get it sorted quickly and without being out too much money. Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 03-12-11, 10:51 PM   #6
aaahhh52
gahboo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Possibly.

Try plugging the drive in again and see what happens. If it wont pass the Verifying DMI part, then try booting with the drive in each SATA port (try one port, if it doesn't pass, try the next port, etc), try different SATA data and power cables.

Once you've exhausted all options, won't hurt to go into the BIOS and make certain your SATA ports aren't setup for RAID when you're not using one, or any other oddity like that. If that checks out... likely the HDD holding up your rig meaning you need a new HDD. Good news about this is it's cheaper to fix and you can still rock your current rig. Bad news is, unless you feel like forking out tons of cash you just lost all your data.

Not too long ago my buddy's PSU went in one of his rigs, was a cheap PSU that came with one of his Apevia brand cases. It apparently took the HDD out with out. Put a known good and working OCZ GameXtreme PSU in his rig, connected everything and the unit wouldn't fire up. Disconnected all non-POST-critical components, rig fired up fine. Slowly started connecting devices one by one and it'd power up fine, untill I plugged his HDD in. Unit wouldn't even spin the fans with his HDD in. Not only did his PSU die, but it took his HDD with it. Never had an HDD prevent a rig from powering up so this was a first for me.

Anyhow, hope you get it sorted quickly and without being out too much money. Keep us updated on your progress.

Well I tried each SATA port and nothin. I'll double check the BIOS again but i think ive just about exhausted all options. Luckily for some reason about a month ago i bought an external HDD and saved all important files/music/pics so i'm thankful for that. So atleast I wont lose everything! Thanks for the help!

New Pc:
Gigabye k8n-SLI NF4
AMD x2 4600+
Evga 7900gs 256mb
1gb pc 3200
160gb SATA II
Old 03-14-11, 05:33 PM   #7
Bman212121

Does the hard drive show up in the BIOS when you boot the pc?
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 07:11 PM   #8
aaahhh52
gahboo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Does the hard drive show up in the BIOS when you boot the pc?
Yes it does show up which is why this is confusing me. I've even checked each stick of ram tried them in different configurations etc. Not sure. Its weird i was just listening to music and then all of a sudden a BSOD and now it won't boot.

New Pc:
Gigabye k8n-SLI NF4
AMD x2 4600+
Evga 7900gs 256mb
1gb pc 3200
160gb SATA II

Old 03-27-11, 01:17 AM   #9
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaahhh52 View Post
Yes it does show up which is why this is confusing me. I've even checked each stick of ram tried them in different configurations etc. Not sure. Its weird i was just listening to music and then all of a sudden a BSOD and now it won't boot.
Drop in a Windows XP cd, see if you can do their startup repair. It's possible that something got corrupted and screwed up the bootloader, not very likely though.

BIOS isn't exactly intelligent. It'll report "no boot disk" even if there is a partition marked as a "boot" partition, but there's no bootloader.
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 05:51 PM   #10
aaahhh52
gahboo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
Drop in a Windows XP cd, see if you can do their startup repair. It's possible that something got corrupted and screwed up the bootloader, not very likely though.

BIOS isn't exactly intelligent. It'll report "no boot disk" even if there is a partition marked as a "boot" partition, but there's no bootloader.

I'll try it thanks.

New Pc:
Gigabye k8n-SLI NF4
AMD x2 4600+
Evga 7900gs 256mb
1gb pc 3200
160gb SATA II