Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-09, 12:38 PM   #37
Badboy_12345

Default Re: GDC 09: OnLive Introduces The Future of Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
IMO a service like this could slow down hardware development. If it catches on, hardware sales for CPUs, GPUs and consoles will go down big time because everyone is just streaming their games. Less cashflow -> less R&D and no new and better products. We could end up using the same old hardware for years resulting in no real software improvements.
so the servers run on air?
They need the same hardware for their servers.
So instead of us consumers paying the bill, they will pay the bill
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 12:44 PM   #38
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
Because many of the reasons why we got into PC gaming in first place (moddability, tweaking, user-created content), will not be available on this platform due to the fact that you don't actually have the game data on your computer, and if publishers started releasing games only through remote content delivery platforms like these, it will completely destroy the mod scene.

Also, building and upgrading high end PC's is a hobby for many of us, so we enjoy doing that sort of thing. We also like owning many of our games, so in the future we can pop them in and play without needing to worry about subscriptions and things like server maintenance, etc (although this concept of game ownership is already being destroyed by invasive DRM right now).
Well for me.. I would actually love to spend my money on great games than on the hardware to run them on.

Im a gamer and this is a game forum part. Would this be "put bling bling in your computer for $2000" then I would understand

And as they said this will be a different service. It wont take away games from retail or digital distribution. Its all about choices.

Like when digital distribution launched and steam being so damn big, have they stopped selling games at retail?
Old 03-25-09, 01:09 PM   #39
newparad1gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
Well for me.. I would actually love to spend my money on great games than on the hardware to run them on.

Im a gamer and this is a game forum part. Would this be "put bling bling in your computer for $2000" then I would understand

And as they said this will be a different service. It wont take away games from retail or digital distribution. Its all about choices.

Like when digital distribution launched and steam being so damn big, have they stopped selling games at retail?
It's the PC Gaming forum however, and with PC gaming always comes hardware discussions. You want gaming without the custom hardware and upgrading, you go to consoles. Besides, this is an NVIDIA fansite, and NVIDIA is a company that provides gaming hardware for PC gaming. Some of us have enough money to spend it on both great games and great hardware, they aren't exclusive.

Also, we have already started seeing the impact of the Steam service and digital distribution. Many games that are released currently require Steam and subsequent registration to install, for example FEAR 2 and Empire: Total War, even when they are sold at retail. They also require you to have Steam started and be connected to the internet in order to play as well. In the future, if this Onlive or similiar service takes off, whats to say that the "physical" copy of the game you purchase at retail won't just contain a registration key and an install for the actual service itself so you can play the game remotely on their servers. Once that happens, you can kiss much of what makes PC gaming so great good bye.
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 01:16 PM   #40
mojoman0

demo video in case anyone hasn't posted it yet. Didn't wanna look:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5183416/onlive-...rated-graphics
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 01:33 PM   #41
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Those guys are in for the money. Don't expect them to change their hardware with each generation. They want to use it for as long as possible.
The servers get an upgrade every 7 months... read the interview.
Thats alot more than most people upgrade their pcs

Yeah and as the video says, developers can make games that they could NEVER make now because of so many different pcs and they need to include so the lowest specced can play their game.
With onlive they dont need to worry about that.. Just make the most graphical intensive game they like and everyone on the service is able to play it.
Old 03-25-09, 02:15 PM   #42
MaxFX
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
Because many of the reasons why we got into PC gaming in first place (moddability, tweaking, user-created content), will not be available on this platform due to the fact that you don't actually have the game data on your computer, and if publishers started releasing games only through remote content delivery platforms like these, it will completely destroy the mod scene.

Also, building and upgrading high end PC's is a hobby for many of us, so we enjoy doing that sort of thing. We also like owning many of our games, so in the future we can pop them in and play without needing to worry about subscriptions and things like server maintenance, etc (although this concept of game ownership is already being destroyed by invasive DRM right now).
Damn right it is and WTF who is this RETARD anyway!
As I said the world are full of idiots and all they care about are beying spoonfeed. this is hell if it will fly. no more modding as you said and no more tinkering and having fun as overclock etc etc.
No way to alter say AA/AF resolution and fps. all served and packed to the stupid masses so they dont need to think at all. yeah what a future!

THIS NEEDS TO DIE ASAP and it will
MaxFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 02:20 PM   #43
Badboy_12345

Quote:
That would surprise me. I guess those intervals are upgrade waves for a certain group of servers. Not all at the same time. But I could be wrong though, I haven't read the interview yet
Of course.. But they will get better.

And for them its also good to upgrade the servers often and get new better hardware. Because then they can run multiple instances of the game on the same server through virtualization.
So in future instead of crysis taking up one whole rack they could be running 4 or 10 crysis instances on one rack.
Old 03-25-09, 02:43 PM   #44
jolle

I REALLY doubt they can get it latancy free.
To the server and back, some people already complain about the input latancy on wireless mice, and thats a few feet of distance a signal has to travel.

Any sort of distance from the server, geographicly, should mean a certain minimum latancy, 2x as your input has to go there, and then the video stream go back...
And there has to be some compression on the video steam aswell, so it cant really look anything as good as a game played locally.

The way I see it, this might find a niche and survive.
But there is no way this can replace the PC or console for gamers.
The idea might be viable in internet cafés though, a main server and no computers, just input stations.
And if the server is modular enough you upgrade that peice by peice as needed, instead of replacing the components in every computer.. I guess..
And you have guaranteed low latancy and high bandwidth with your LAN setup in a situation like that, though you´d prolly notice some input latancy even there.

Guess we´ll see how this pans out, obviously they have something otherwise they wouldnt be demoing it, I just cant see how.

Old 03-25-09, 02:58 PM   #45
Badboy_12345

^

well first they have their own hardware that they themselfs designed
then they have their own compression technology that hasent been seen before
Then they have a server near you, they have calculated a max distance that would not impose much lag.

its 2-3 months until beta and not many months until launch. So we will see.
Of course if there is much lag then people wont pay and they know that so they have thought about it ALOT I presume
Old 03-25-09, 03:24 PM   #46
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

But what makes some of you think this will get in the way of you upgrading your hardware or even buying box copies of games for mods and such? And lets face it, PC gaming is not what it use to be with piracy and once traditional PC games going to consoles first.

A service like this has the potential to bring in a lot more gamers who don't have to worry about hardware and if the PC they have can run Crysis. Moreover this might bring in a lot more revenue for PC developers which in turn might stem the mass exodus to consoles. If this thing takes off it even might rejuvenate PC gaming. Right now its basically console ports 5 months later that's keeping it on life support.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 03:58 PM   #47
newparad1gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N View Post
But what makes some of you think this will get in the way of you upgrading your hardware or even buying box copies of games for mods and such? And lets face it, PC gaming is not what it use to be with piracy and once traditional PC games going to consoles first.

A service like this has the potential to bring in a lot more gamers who don't have to worry about hardware and if the PC they have can run Crysis. Moreover this might bring in a lot more revenue for PC developers which in turn might stem the mass exodus to consoles. If this thing takes off it even might rejuvenate PC gaming. Right now its basically console ports 5 months later that's keeping it on life support.
Like I said earlier, if this really catches on, we might not see games anymore that lets us have the game data stored locally on our computer. The "physical copies" that you would buy at retail would just have a registration key and an installer for the Onlive service so that you will have still have to play the game remotely on their servers.

I also wouldn't call this service a part of PC gaming at all. None of the reasons why we get into PC gaming would apply. No mods and user-created content, no reasons to upgrade our hardware, no game tweaking to go even beyond the developer specified settings and original visuals. Also, how would gaming peripherals like 3D Vision work?
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 01:24 AM   #48
dikinher
Grab em!

http://pc.ign.com/dor/articles/96559...on_old_pc.html

Crysis running on a crappy laptop. I love the idea, but I wouldn't trade modding, tweaking etc. for anything. This is why I PC game over playing my Xbox 360. PC gaming is a hobby to me, not just a fad.