Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-09, 06:15 PM   #25
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Fallout 3: The Pitt Official Thread

Well, I don't really feel a deep need to do that. Everything I care about is on my external, and with Steam as my main game method, I just have to redownload everything. I guess redownloading would be a chore in some respects, but so would setting up a backup, and chances are I won't need it.

I guess I could keep my current HDD and do as you describe when I upgrade, I just don't see myself bothering.

As for defrag and such, I use PerfectDisk10, which tells me my drive speed and open space clusters are "excellent" and I notice no performance hitching, so I'm fine on that score as well.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 06:39 PM   #26
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
So do I... and probably 90% of the people who own PCs. I bet setting different partitions is alot rare then people think.
It is. My best friend bought an ACER laptop for his wife's b-day last year. At the time ACER had the hard drive split into two, near equal partitions.

Her son tried to download L4D on the laptop lastnight, but told me it couldn't because the hard drive was full. I was immediately thinking "Yeah right... that's a 160+GB hard drive... can't be full already." Sure enough, they didn't realise they had a completely empty second partition to use.

I think seperate partitions on most computers is a bad idea... except for recovery partitions like what HP and Compaq have. Out side of that, they should be reserved for enthusiasts only. The mainstream user is not ready for them.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 06:43 PM   #27
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
He mocks? Wasn't aware I was mocking anyone. You want a system you can't back up with fragmentation that is much harder to control with Windows right in the middle of it all, be my guest. I don't choose to set up my system that way, but hey, that's just me. I know all to well the advantages of partitioning Windows, but not everyone does (in fact, most do not). My comments on the way Microsoft acts stupid sometimes was not meant to be a debate of how people set up their systems. It was meant to show that all people do not set up their systems in the same way and Microsoft should know this instead of trying to do a one size fits all approach. Some people just have a hard time thinking outside the box. Microsoft could have just as easily chose to put the DLC in the game folder where it belongs or asked the user where to put it just like just about every other installer does. Of course, I guess a lot would put it in C:\Program Files. Ouch, couldn't resist.
As I just explained... partitions for the average computer user are fake walls in an office complex. They have no idea how that word can possibly relate to a computer. You need to keep this in mind.

Sure, for retail copies of Vista (or whatever Windows version) I can see MS allowing a more flexible "advanced" setup option where you have more freedom for things like you mentioned. But that should still be reserved for enthusiasts or "advanced" users. The average joe doesn't know enough, and is to busy to want to learn about partitions and how they can benefit them.

MS has to make Windows accessible to the lowest common denominator as they're a company, and all they care about is profit- like any and every other business in existance. People like you and most every member of this forum are a minority in the real of computer users... believe it or not.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 12:20 AM   #28
Kaguya

Not all of us use multiple partitions... I have separate physical drives, one for games and two (Raid 0) for the OS. I like having my games on their own drive because a) It's fast (Raptor) and b) it's independent of any other OS items or other bits, so when I'm gaming I don't have to worry about the same drive I'm trying to game on start caching page files or whatnot.

I had to copy The Pitt files over just like Operation: Anchorage, so obviously no fix. There is a Vista fix where you make a link to your folder and place it in your Program Files directory, but I couldn't get that to work.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 01:35 AM   #29
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
You move the mod files to the date folder anyway... if you move them to the data folder on your other HDD, the game still doesn't detect them?

If that fixes it then it only takes 5 seconds, and most people do it anyway since it's the only way to make the DLC mod compatible.
What are you saying that you had to move the files also?

The point is simple
1. You should not have to move any files from directories hidden well in your appdata folders to get a DLC to work under any circumstances.

It's irrelevant how easy it is for me, many people who are less savvy with computers would probably struggle. Let's not forget people who don't visit the internet much to find out how or why or where the files are to move.

I don't have any DLC from Steam but I bet you don't have to move a single file with the Far Cry 2 DLC pack to get it to function.

The GFW Live forum members seem convinced this is Bethesda's fault, I'm skeptical but open to evidence supporting.
Old 03-26-09, 03:35 AM   #30
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

I got multiple drives and partitions, can't live without it. Velociraptor drive is volume C, D and E, for Vista, Windows 7 and temp stuff. On RAID 5 drives got F for games and G for my documents and programs that don't require installation.
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 09:14 AM   #31
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Heard its broken on the X360, wonder if the same is true for the PC release...
Purchased "The Pit" yesterday on Xbox 360 for 800 Microsoft Points and everything seems to work well. Download was about 490MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
It seems that they pulled the PC version as well as the 360 version due to bugs.
Xbox 360 is available for purchase and works well (for me, at least).
Old 03-26-09, 10:12 AM   #32
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post

The point is simple
1. You should not have to move any files from directories hidden well in your appdata folders to get a DLC to work under any circumstances.

It's irrelevant how easy it is for me, many people who are less savvy with computers would probably struggle. Let's not forget people who don't visit the internet much to find out how or why or where the files are to move.
I agree with this 100%. I'm scared to tell a friend of mine about this add-on not because he won't like it (I'm sure he'd love it) but because it may not install properly and he'll be upset.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-09, 10:16 AM   #33
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:

The point is simple
You have to move the files for them to work with mods, which is why I moved them. If you don't care about mods you can just have GFWL run the new content from its folder.

I don't really disagree with your statement about never having to move them, but in the end it's a quick fix that takes 5 seconds and I don't see a point complaining about it. If you can't google or forum search for a solution like that, then carry it out, you have no place being a PC gamer in the first place.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-26-09, 10:16 AM   #34
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

The point is simple

I don't have any DLC from Steam but I bet you don't have to move a single file with the Far Cry 2 DLC pack to get it to function.

The GFW Live forum members seem convinced this is Bethesda's fault, I'm skeptical but open to evidence supporting.
I totally agree with this, i would understand if they made a mistake, and quickly fix this, but look how much time has passed.
Old 03-26-09, 10:19 AM   #35
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
You have to move the files for them to work with mods, which is why I moved them. If you don't care about mods you can just have GFWL run the new content from its folder.

I don't really disagree with your statement about never having to move them, but in the end it's a quick fix that takes 5 seconds and I don't see a point complaining about it. If you can't google or forum search for a solution like that, then carry it out, you have no place being a PC gamer in the first place.
maybe next time when bethesda ships a game, they could ship it with out few DLL files, binkw32.dll, libvorbis.dll, libvorbisfile.dll, atimgpud.dll.

who needs video, or any sound in the game, it could be a quick fix, just google and download the files.
Old 03-26-09, 10:26 AM   #36
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
maybe next time when bethesda ships a game, they could ship it with out few DLL files, binkw32.dll, libvorbis.dll, libvorbisfile.dll, atimgpud.dll.

who needs video, or any sound in the game, it could be a quick fix, just google and download the files.
That's quite an exaggerated comparison.

The point is that 90% of people can run this just fine as it downloads. For the 10% running off a different HDD, they can quickly google a solution (or check Bethesda's site, as it is stickied there I believe).