Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-24-09, 03:00 PM   #1
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Steam Makes DRM "Obsolete"

Steam News from today: http://store.steampowered.com/news/2372/

Quote:
Suite of Services Expands With Customer Executable Generation (CEG), Support for DLC, Matchmaking, and More

March 24, 2009 - Valve today announced a new set of advanced features delivered in Steamworks, a complete suite of publishing and development tools that are available free of charge to developers and publishers worldwide.

Headlining the new feature set is the Custom Executable Generation (CEG) technology that compliments the already existing anti-piracy solution offered in Steamworks. A customer friendly approach to anti-piracy, CEG makes unique copies of games for each user allowing them to access the application on multiple machines without install limits and without having to install root kits on their PC.

The new features also include support for in-game downloadable content (DLC) and matchmaking. The in-game DLC support allows developers to deliver new content as they choose (paid or free) from inside the game itself, allowing users to make immediate purchases and experience the new content in the same game session. The Steamworks matchmaking now includes the robust lobby system shipped and tested in Left 4 Dead.

"Delivering this extension of services on Steamworks first anniversary, demonstrates our commitment to continually develop the platform to better serve the community working with these tools," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "As we roll out these features, we continue to look for new ways make PC games easier to create and better for customers to experience."

Steamworks was launched in early 2008 and has already shipped in products distributed at retail and electronically with major PC releases such as Empire: Total War, Dawn of War II, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, and Football Manager 2009.

The Steamworks services are offered free of charge to developers and publishers around the world. In addition to the services added in this spring's extension, Steamworks offers support for Steam Achievements, Steam Community, Auto Updating, Statistics, Steam Cloud and more.

Steamworks is fully integrated with the Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC games that has grown to reach 20 million accounts throughout the world, up from 15 million accounts just one year ago. Steam now offers over 500 applications to gamers in every country of the world.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com
Interesting stuff... I'm all for it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 04:36 PM   #2
LurkerLito

Default Re: Steam Makes DRM "Obsolete"

It's definitely a bad title since steam is itself a form of DRM. The title should be more "Steam makes other DRM obsolete."

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 04:49 PM   #3
MaxFX
*BANNED*

Great news Valve keep pushing forward and I read that MS GFW will do similar stuff
And MS promise us all thet they are hard at work for building a much better GFW plattform!

They better be as they havent done much at all only pouring money into their crappy toybox!
MaxFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 06:15 PM   #4
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
It's definitely a bad title since steam is itself a form of DRM. The title should be more "Steam makes other DRM obsolete."
I thought the same thing... their title, not mine.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-24-09, 06:19 PM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

so basically if joe leaks out a game, they will know joe did it?

Quote:
CEG makes unique copies of games for each user
Old 03-24-09, 06:20 PM   #6
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
so basically if joe leaks out a game, they will know joe did it?
Basically, yes... then they disable his account and he loses all his games.

Old 03-24-09, 07:15 PM   #7
Retrolock
®

Steam also makes my card run on 3d mode all the time even if im not playing a game, which makes my gtx 260 5 degrees hotter than low power mode.
Old 03-24-09, 07:48 PM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrolock View Post
Steam also makes my card run on 3d mode all the time even if im not playing a game, which makes my gtx 260 5 degrees hotter than low power mode.
Why woud it do that? I have steam open all the time and never notice my fans kicking up unless I am actually playing a game.

Old 03-24-09, 09:07 PM   #9
evox
:3

Hmm, CEG seems intrusive. Well, I guess it'll go along with Steam nicely. It can actually be a very effective tool. Normal gamers aren't going to pirate games for others, so the people that get locked out will be pirates/release group themselves.

Effectively meaning they'll have to get an account for every Steam-specific release or they'll just circumvent the whole thing.
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 11:14 PM   #10
Retrolock
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Why woud it do that? I have steam open all the time and never notice my fans kicking up unless I am actually playing a game.
Dunno why. Opening Steam without playing a videogame should be like opening firefox. But my dumb videocard mistakes it for a 3d game so the core/shader/mem speed revs up.
Old 03-24-09, 11:34 PM   #11
mullet

I love Valve.
Old 03-24-09, 11:57 PM   #12
Lfctony

Other DRM limits installations. Steam doesn't. Major advantage...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote