Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-30-02, 10:32 AM   #1
Serath
Dark Mirth

Send a message via ICQ to Serath Send a message via AIM to Serath Send a message via Yahoo to Serath
Default Smokin' T-bird

Tsk guess what!
I've got a t-bird 850 (not even unlocked) in an Abit KT7E and it's running between 46C (when it's chilly in here) upto about 52C when it's super duper swelteringly hot Hot HOT in here. Stock AMD recommended HSF with TONS of other case cooling.
Now the sad part... the core has a small almost invisible chip in the corner of it! OMG!!!! MY CORE IS CHIPPED!!!

with that out of the way, can anyone recommend some way to get that temperature DOWN!?!?!?!?!?!

(oh and I almost forgot, some of those bigassed green "capacitors" that sit just below the CPU are dented and scratched where someone tried to apply a chrome orb before trimming it.)

now those of u who know me CERTAINLY know that I didn't do this to the poor thing I gave a digital camera for the package I just got to checking it out and that's what I found... so any help at all? someone anyone? help me beat the heat!
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 12:38 PM   #2
pelly

Dah!!!

No matter what I did, I would NOT touch that heatsink...Chances are, that CPU is on the brink of destruction and is very fragile. The slightest bit of uneven pressure could toast that CPU since it's already chipped.

You could try replacing the fan on the stock heatsink....Aside from that, no clue in this particular situation...

Sorry man...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 08:10 PM   #3
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Ouch. I wouldn't mess with cracked-core chips. IMO it may go up at an inconvenient time. Combined with the capacitor damage, I would suggest that you get yourself a new processor (something in the 1600+ to 1900+ range, IMO).

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 11:33 PM   #4
Serath
Dark Mirth

Send a message via ICQ to Serath Send a message via AIM to Serath Send a message via Yahoo to Serath

Too bad I'm strapped for cash right now
I was thinking of selling my main system and parting out the other in hopes of earning about 600 bux for a full upgrade. Whaddya think? maybe? somehow?
gotta be better than... this...
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 05:35 PM   #5
LuckyNV

might not be due to the chip on the core...

I've got a T-bird 850, stock coolermaster heatsink, 2800rpm 80cm case fan stuck on it.

1 80cm 2800rpm rear exhaust
2x 60cm 5000rpm internal fans blowing air out over my GFX/modem/snd through the PCI slots (i removed all the metal pieces covering the PCI slots)

I modded a Taisol aluminium heatsink to fit over my northbridge.

temps are currently 51.5C CPU and 32C northbridge but my room is fair hot atm and my computer is stuck in the corner where it gets hot easily

I don't have any thermal grease under teh heatsinks mind you, iI realised i had run out after i went to reapply the stuff AFTER i had solvent wiped it all off...

I'm gonna get some tomorrow maybe and see...

PS with the side off the temps lower by around 2-4C
LuckyNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 02:22 PM   #6
Chiles4

There are plenty of excellent heatsinks you can get very cheaply that'll cool down a Tbird 850 much better than stock cooling. I have no clue about your mobo but the ones I've had great success with are the:

Taisol "76" copper core
Dr. Thermal TI-V77L (Thermoengine design but better)
Thermalright AX-7

The first two can be found for about $18, the AX-7 I got for $24 (hs only).

As far as chipped cores are concerned I wouldn't worry too much. I ran a Duron 650 for a long time with a corner chipped off and my trusty 1.2G Tbird I ran for quite a while with a good size gouge taken off one side of the core. I've heard similar stories from others. The core is very brittle so if you do alot of building/upgrading it can happen. But there's a big difference between a chipped core and a cracked core.
Chiles4 is offline   Reply With Quote