Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-09, 01:54 AM   #1
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default mplayer latest only supports 190 series drivers

According to the Ubuntu forum thread on mplayer compile, only latest nvidia series 190xx is being supported by the mplayer in case one needs to compile the latest one with vdpau support. Any ideas on this? Seems like vdpau support has been withdrawn for older series drivers.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 10:24 AM   #2
wantilles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 37
Default Re: mplayer latest only supports 190 series drivers

This is good.

Why are you complaining?
wantilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 12:02 PM   #3
logan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 492
Default Re: mplayer latest only supports 190 series drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantilles View Post
This is good.
Is it? It sounds to me like people are having a number of problems with the 190.x drivers. I'm still running 180.x.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 09:34 PM   #4
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: mplayer latest only supports 190 series drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantilles View Post
This is good.

Why are you complaining?
Why do you assume this is a complaint, its an observation and also a caveat to those on older drivers. Many use the drivers on their repos which are old and will run into issues trying to compile latest mplayer. Lots of people are not conducive to installing latest nvdia via ncurses and loose their dkms option.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 04:49 AM   #5
wantilles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 37
Default Re: mplayer latest only supports 190 series drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Why do you assume this is a complaint, its an observation and also a caveat to those on older drivers. Many use the drivers on their repos which are old...
Then they should switch to another, more serious, distro, that has up-to-date packages in its repos.

It is not mplayer's problem.

It is their obsolete-joke distro's problem.
wantilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 07:11 AM   #6
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: mplayer latest only supports 190 series drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantilles View Post
Then they should switch to another, more serious, distro, that has up-to-date packages in its repos.

It is not mplayer's problem.

It is their obsolete-joke distro's problem.
LOL! its because of Ubuntu the world is talking Linux, there is nothing wrong with Ubuntu per se, very few if any distros ship with latest drivers, testing has to be done before its put into the repos unless you wish stability issues to pop up.

Man, I just posted this as an observation and a point for those considering to install latest mplayer via git. Now this turns into a anti Ubuntu vitriolic. I never complained about the issue on drivers. As a matter of fact, Ubuntu and all other distros allow you to install latest nvidia drivers separately. Never said its mplayer's problem either.

Btw, read Logan's post, lots of people are not happy with 190 and are using older 185 series.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 01:51 AM   #7
Lithorus
Registered User
 
Lithorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 783
Default Re: mplayer latest only supports 190 series drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
LOL! its because of Ubuntu the world is talking Linux, there is nothing wrong with Ubuntu per se, very few if any distros ship with latest drivers, testing has to be done before its put into the repos unless you wish stability issues to pop up.

Man, I just posted this as an observation and a point for those considering to install latest mplayer via git. Now this turns into a anti Ubuntu vitriolic. I never complained about the issue on drivers. As a matter of fact, Ubuntu and all other distros allow you to install latest nvidia drivers separately. Never said its mplayer's problem either.

Btw, read Logan's post, lots of people are not happy with 190 and are using older 185 series.
You will always find lots of people who are not happy
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 11:28 AM   #8
Stephen Warren
Moderator
 
Stephen Warren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: mplayer latest only supports 190 series drivers

Recent drivers introduced new VDPAU features that ffmpeg/MPlayer now support. This makes ffmpeg/MPlayer compilation rely on new defines/symbols/... that are only present in recent drivers.

I believe it's ffmpeg/MPlayer policy to only support compilation against the most recent release of external software packages. Hence why ffmpeg/MPlayer's configure scripts don't auto-detect the features supported by the currently installed driver and adapt to them (NVIDIA's patches do do this).

Do note that an MPlayer built against the latest VDPAU header files should still run against older drivers. The only caveat will be that functionality not supported on the older driver obviously won't work.

Finally, it should be pretty simple to patch out ffmpeg/MPlayer support for the new features when building against older drivers; use the ifdefs in NVIDIA's patches as a reference.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.