Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-09, 01:36 PM   #1
DASPRiD

Default PC beeps while kernel loads and other issues

Hey there,

First thing, I tested this with latest drivers from the 17*.* series as well as drivers from the 180.* series, so this is probably I general issue. Before I had an XFX Gefoce 8800 GT (factory-OC), and with both series, everything was fine, no problems at all. Since I got the XFX Geforce GTX 260 Black Edition (factory-OC again), I have quite some instability issues:

When booting Linux, the PC (sometimes, like every 3rd or 4th boot) starts to beep very high and rapidly when the kernel loads. This sometimes ends after 5 oder 10 seconds, and sometimes just goes away when I reboot. Another issue is, that sometimes (but not very often) it boots up fine, and when Xorg loads, I get a very tiny resolution (a "ctrl + alt + backspace" usually helps then).

Those are the Linux-only issues I have. Another last issue is on Linux as well as on Windows. After some time of running a 3D-game (10 minutes to 2 hours), it can happen that the screen suddently stays there in a single random color. No reaction at all from the system, and a reboot via the reboot-button of the PC doesn't help. In that case I have to do a cold shutdown via the power button and then start the PC again.

This doesn't look like a heat problem to me, as the GPU temperature stays in the area of 60-70C. Nor does this look like a power problem to me (I have a BeQuiet PSU with 550 Watt, 42 Ampere on the 12V lines).

In the first moment I thought about a defect GFX card, and just sent it back to the shop, but they tested it and just sent it back to me with the notice "No errors found". I don't know if their tests are just not sufficient and the card is probably still defect, but who knows.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help,
Ben
DASPRiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 02:07 PM   #2
DASPRiD

Default Re: PC beeps while kernel loads and other issues

I just ran the FurMark on Windows, and got the Single-Color crash within 15 seconds. Also many reviews state, that this card of XFX is mostly broken. I will send it back again and hope to get another model (probably EVGA).
Old 04-07-09, 06:12 AM   #3
DASPRiD

Default Re: PC beeps while kernel loads and other issues

Got an EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 now, Didn't had time to check FurMark yet, but after the first boot I had to restart 3 times because of the beeping issue. Anyone got an idea on that?