Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-30-09, 10:19 AM   #13
JaXXoN

Default Re: Fedora 11, Nouveau, and kernel mode-setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzp View Post
If I understand this right, NVIDIA says that if you get into trouble because you break/reverse engineer/publish/etc some 3rd party related information, it's a problem between you and the 3rd party.
Again, IANAL, but In general, certain parts of an EULA may not be applicable in certain countries,
i.e. Microsoft once had a statement in the Frontpage EULA that is not allowed to publish negative
reports about MS products using Frontpage - this is certainly in contradiction to the right of
free speech. Also, over here in Germany, there is court rule that you can sell your used
OEM MS products if you don't need them any more. Although this ruling has be done about a
decade ago, you can still find a clause in the current EULAs that you are not allowed to sell
OEM MS products.

BTW.: years ago i had stability problems with the nvidia driver and since there was
little help from nvidia side, i used gdb and partly disassembling the driver and modified
it in order to figure out where the problem is and fixed it to a certain extent.
I reported my findings to nvidia and the only answer i got was that i'm actually
breaking the law disassembling the driver code. I then couldn't resist to tell that
if nvidia would have done their job right, then i wouldn't have needed to do so :-)

Also, i needed to disassemble/analyze the nvidia driver when trying to figure out
if it uses any sti/cli/push/pop combos that could interfere with LinuxRT or real time
preemption. These are situations where it very well makes sense to be allowed
to disassemble code, but YMMV ...

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 10:50 AM   #14
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzp View Post
I agree, the FC 11 boot video is not too convincing, neither is the movie watching demo. If only they had attached some CPU load graph...
I can assure everyone that it doesn't take 2 minutes to boot Fedora. What you are watching in the video is a boot from a CD-ROM. Of course it's going to take 2 minutes.

It takes only 26 seconds to boot Fedora on my 2.4ghz Core 2 laptop installed on the hard drive. (recorded with bootchart)
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 11:31 AM   #15
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
What you are watching in the video is a boot from a CD-ROM. Of course it's going to take 2 minutes.
I see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
It takes only 26 seconds to boot Fedora on my 2.4ghz Core 2 laptop installed on the hard drive. (recorded with bootchart)
So the author of that article wasted one minute and 34 seconds of my live on purpose! :-)

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 02:33 PM   #16
deinemutter00

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
The last time I talked to the developers working on it, they told me that the hooks necessary to implement kernel modesetting were exported to GPL modules only, and therefore are not usable by the NVIDIA driver. On the other hand, that was a while ago and I haven't looked at it since. If the kernel developers are willing to work with us to make kernel modesetting possible for NVIDIA GPUs, then we'll look into it.
That was on 11-11-08. Would be nice to get an update...
deinemutter00 is offline   Reply With Quote