Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-09, 12:51 AM   #1
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default L4D AI "director"

Finished L4D on all setting but Extreme in sp mode- I like slaughtering my zombies... but I find the AI scripting or director or whatever they call it pretty f'd up right now, when playing on extreme if I play really good and we all stay at or near 100H and play slow, then once we get to a point where we can't get back inside the starting room with the unbreakable red door, the fricken game keeps throwing a tank at us in a closed quarter area, running away usually works but he's so freaken strong on extreme he ends up killing the team pretty much everytime... also if you play well then the game never gives extra guns, pipe bombs, health ...etc

... but if I shoot my own team mates to half health then I can move through the map much easier since the AI "director" thinks we suck and gives more good shiit and doesn't cram us into a closet with a tank...

Anyways point being I think the L4D AI director is a flop, cause it rewards you if you suck and if you play carefully, thoughtfully and well - it kicks the crap out of you unfairly... kind of reminds me of the Oblivion auto level NPC matching thing but worse...

*night playing rant over* - time to uninstall L4D me thinks...

Vanz
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 01:15 AM   #2
a12ctic

Default Re: L4D AI "director"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Finished L4D on all setting but Extreme in sp mode- I like slaughtering my zombies... but I find the AI scripting or director or whatever they call it pretty f'd up right now, when playing on extreme if I play really good and we all stay at or near 100H and play slow, then once we get to a point where we can't get back inside the starting room with the unbreakable red door, the fricken game keeps throwing a tank at us in a closed quarter area, running away usually works but he's so freaken strong on extreme he ends up killing the team pretty much everytime... also if you play well then the game never gives extra guns, pipe bombs, health ...etc

... but if I shoot my own team mates to half health then I can move through the map much easier since the AI "director" thinks we suck and gives more good shiit and doesn't cram us into a closet with a tank...

Anyways point being I think the L4D AI director is a flop, cause it rewards you if you suck and if you play carefully, thoughtfully and well - it kicks the crap out of you unfairly... kind of reminds me of the Oblivion auto level NPC matching thing but worse...

Vanz
Its for replay value. It wants you to be challenged so that you don't get bored with it.
Old 03-31-09, 01:45 AM   #3
proliferazor
this won't hurt a bit

you know what the L4D thread is for?
proliferazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 02:57 AM   #4
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

That's what the director does, balances the game. Happens in versus mode, basically when you are constantly attacking survivors as infected and getting them on red or very low health you can bet your ass that they will get lots of health packs.

However if they heal quick before reaching the spawn point they get nothing. I guess it's there to even the play between poor and good teams, basically it means l4d is not at all suited for CAL type action, the AI director judges too much.
Old 03-31-09, 02:37 PM   #5
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:

Vanz
SP is not bad on L4D. MP is really where it's at though. There is no point at all in playing SP with just the bots. Play the campaign and play the versus mode (especially versus) and you will see just how good the replay value is.

Fwiw, in Versus, when I play with my steam friends, I am always aiming to get about 8k points for the entire movie. That typically is a pretty efficient performance in all the levels and a finish in all the chapters of the movie

Don't judge the game on the tiny sample of it you are using as your basis for judgement right now.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 07:25 PM   #6
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
SP is not bad on L4D. MP is really where it's at though. There is no point at all in playing SP with just the bots. Play the campaign and play the versus mode (especially versus) and you will see just how good the replay value is.

Fwiw, in Versus, when I play with my steam friends, I am always aiming to get about 8k points for the entire movie. That typically is a pretty efficient performance in all the levels and a finish in all the chapters of the movie

Don't judge the game on the tiny sample of it you are using as your basis for judgement right now.

Yeah I hear ya, but I'm forcing myself to stay away from mp, I got pretty addicted to CS:S, I would lose track of time and be up to 4am on work nights...which is fine until you have kids and need to be dependable... it was actually pretty hard to stop playing, I haven't played mp for awhile now, it's a slippery slope... must.. resist...

-V-
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 02:52 AM   #7
newparad1gm

It would be awesome in the future if a mod or even an official Valve update allowed a human to enter a game as the director. Of course there would be some balancing (can't place more than 1 tank at once and can only put up to two tanks per level, and set time intervals between when you can unleash hordes, etc). But it would definitely be fun messing around with human survivors.
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 02:06 PM   #8
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya, but I'm forcing myself to stay away from mp, I got pretty addicted to CS:S, I would lose track of time and be up to 4am on work nights...which is fine until you have kids and need to be dependable... it was actually pretty hard to stop playing, I haven't played mp for awhile now, it's a slippery slope... must.. resist...

-V-
I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as CS Source could get. CS was just a continuous cycle, especially when your KDR was sky-high

Keep in mind that the L4D MP is based on movies.

Seriously, once a movie is done, which can take between 20 minutes to a little over an hour, depending how you play, you automatically go to the lobby.

I usually drop off after a session as that lobby screen pretty much signifies I have accomplished my gaming for that session.

Old 04-01-09, 02:39 PM   #9
Kaguya

Quote:

Vanz
L4D isn't the type of game that you play just to get through the scenario and 'win'... really it's to have a great time online with friends. If I'm online with friends, I don't want to waltz through the levels at half-health simply because it's easy... it's fun trying to survive the onslaught. The AI director does a fine job... sure you can fool it, but why would you want to?
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 02:57 PM   #10
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
L4D isn't the type of game that you play just to get through the scenario and 'win'... really it's to have a great time online with friends. If I'm online with friends, I don't want to waltz through the levels at half-health simply because it's easy... it's fun trying to survive the onslaught. The AI director does a fine job... sure you can fool it, but why would you want to?
+1

I've never seen more "OMG"s or "THAT WAS BS!"s Lol, you can't help but laugh at it.
Old 04-01-09, 05:10 PM   #11
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
+1

I've never seen more "OMG"s or "THAT WAS BS!"s Lol, you can't help but laugh at it.
Yep, last night I played with some people who had only recently gotten the game and they didn't realize you can shoot people through the walls (if they are thin enough).

I popped a couple of boomers early on and get "WALL HAX" accusations Was quite entertaining.

Me and some buddies have been averaging over 5000 points through the first 4 portions of the movies the last few days, not even worth playing the last level since we're so far ahead already.

I love CHALLENGING sessions when you play another well organized team. My buddies are relatively new but they listen and are good at FPS's so they don't tear each other up with friendly fire and stupid FF incidents with molotov's.

I've been playing more and more TF2 recently, but L4D is an awesome experience

p.s. the scout achievements are WICKED
Old 04-02-09, 11:11 AM   #12
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Yep, last night I played with some people who had only recently gotten the game and they didn't realize you can shoot people through the walls (if they are thin enough).

I popped a couple of boomers early on and get "WALL HAX" accusations Was quite entertaining.

Me and some buddies have been averaging over 5000 points through the first 4 portions of the movies the last few days, not even worth playing the last level since we're so far ahead already.

I love CHALLENGING sessions when you play another well organized team. My buddies are relatively new but they listen and are good at FPS's so they don't tear each other up with friendly fire and stupid FF incidents with molotov's.

I've been playing more and more TF2 recently, but L4D is an awesome experience

p.s. the scout achievements are WICKED
LOL! That's what I thought early on too, lmao at me

I have to get into more versus. I'm not very good at it, but with good teams it does rock.