Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-09, 08:13 AM   #1
k0tuk

Question Has anyone succeeded?

Hi!

I`m using Linux Mint Felicia and i have Nvidia 8600M GT 512 RAM video card... I`m a Linux fan, but i have been fighting with Nvidia drivers for a long time... I had to throw away my beloved Compiz and it`s effects because of the very well known powermizer issues. I than switched to XFCE4, enabled transparency, locked Nvidia at 2nd Powermizer level with

Code:
options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
And now it works (and looks!) quite good. Standart XFCE4-panel may be used as a dock, Conky is nice and i don`t need any desklets with it...

But still i miss Gnome and Compiz...

So my question is: Maybe somebody has 8600M GT that works fine? maybe some specific drivers? Kernel? Distro?
Any info is appreciated.

P.S. i can use Gnome and Compiz with my card being locked at 2nd level, but it starts to overheat. With some basic effects enabled it jumps to the 80C.
k0tuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 08:34 AM   #2
clarious

Default Re: Has anyone succeeded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0tuk View Post
Hi!

I`m using Linux Mint Felicia and i have Nvidia 8600M GT 512 RAM video card... I`m a Linux fan, but i have been fighting with Nvidia drivers for a long time... I had to throw away my beloved Compiz and it`s effects because of the very well known powermizer issues. I than switched to XFCE4, enabled transparency, locked Nvidia at 2nd Powermizer level with

Code:
options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
And now it works (and looks!) quite good. Standart XFCE4-panel may be used as a dock, Conky is nice and i don`t need any desklets with it...

But still i miss Gnome and Compiz...

So my question is: Maybe somebody has 8600M GT that works fine? maybe some specific drivers? Kernel? Distro?
Any info is appreciated.

P.S. i can use Gnome and Compiz with my card being locked at 2nd level, but it starts to overheat. With some basic effects enabled it jumps to the 80C.
It works perfectly for me, normal temperature 49oC ( the room temperature is about 30oC), with compiz turned on I get about 52oC (watching 720p movie with VDPAU make it about 57oC). Maybe you should open the laptop and clean the GPU fan, it helps a lot
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 09:34 AM   #3
k0tuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarious View Post
It works perfectly for me, normal temperature 49oC ( the room temperature is about 30oC), with compiz turned on I get about 52oC (watching 720p movie with VDPAU make it about 57oC). Maybe you should open the laptop and clean the GPU fan, it helps a lot
Wow! What distro do you use? What is your laptop? Mine is Acer Aspire 7720g.

Actually, doubt that it`s GPU fan issue, since installing Linux was the first thing i did when bought it, and since than i was fighting for a normal performance...
Old 03-31-09, 10:03 AM   #4
clarious

Quote:
Wow! What distro do you use? What is your laptop? Mine is Acer Aspire 7720g.

Actually, doubt that it`s GPU fan issue, since installing Linux was the first thing i did when bought it, and since than i was fighting for a normal performance...
I am using Arch Linux, but I have had no problem with previous distros (ubuntu, fedora, opensuse etc....)

My laptop is a Dell Vostro 1500, the only Dell laptop which don't need bios upgrade to avoid over-heating problem of nvidia gpus (for 8x00 series).

I still think it is related to GPU fan, and I don't trust Acer brand, I have already have to clean/fix my friend Acer laptop several times, it also has problem with GPU temperature. You should check if the fan is running when the laptop is turning on or not.
Old 03-31-09, 12:24 PM   #5
k0tuk

The fan is working alright, but i`ll curtanly cleen it! Also, what driver version you have? And what is that overheating problem you mentioned? is it only Dell-related?
Old 03-31-09, 06:37 PM   #6
wiresquire

The overheating problem is not Dell only; it's applicable to some of the 8xxx M series chips.
See here.

If your vendor has a BIOS upgrade available, then upgrade your BIOS. It may help.

Cheers
ws

PS: clarious: The Vostro 1500 is not the only Dell notebook that didn't have the problem. The M1730 (*dual* 8700M GTs) has been fine. There may be others as well.
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 12:19 AM   #7
clarious

Quote:
The fan is working alright, but i`ll curtanly cleen it! Also, what driver version you have? And what is that overheating problem you mentioned? is it only Dell-related?
I have tried every version from 173.* to 180.44 (and 185.13), none of them have any problem

@wiresquire: I mean the only one in Vostro series, my mistake for not saying this earlier
Old 04-01-09, 02:32 AM   #8
k0tuk

Although i`ll clean the fan when i have some spare time, i`m still curious: There are a lot of users complaining in the forums that have the same problem with my 8600M GT and also other Nvidia cards, and all of them say that it is Powermizer-related. And now you have 8600M GT that works perfectly... How can it be? It`s not like they all have choppy 3d effects only because of the dust in their fans