Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-08, 11:30 PM   #1
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Default Has kubuntu 8.10 been neutered?

I received my kubuntu 8.10 the other day, I poked around for like 3 days straight. Messing with KDE 4.1. Here is my findings.

First, NO Firefox and NO Thunderbird. I am surprised to find OpenOffice 3, though. There is only ONE wallpaper, one complete theme, and one partial theme (consists of color and icons, opps...widgets). Now comes the biggie. I guess they figure dialup users don't use Linux? Cause they have omitted KPPP entirely. I looked in folder, every directory, and couldn't find it. So, you can assume I didn't get on the internet with it. This has discouraged me of using kubuntu at all.

The desktop is now weird. There is no more icons. If you put an icon on the desktop, it's labeled as "a widget". Probably KDE's idea, but I hate it. Even the trash bin is a widget!.

There is no games, very few applications. Not even GIMP. I suppose you could say this is beyond a "barebones" distro.

I hope OpenSuSE isn't like this. Which will be my next venture, to find the best distro for me.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 01:19 AM   #2
Dizzle7677

Default Re: Has kubuntu 8.10 been neutered?

It's all about the Gnome baby.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 11:50 PM   #3
legends
Legends Dev

Default Re: Has kubuntu 8.10 been neutered?

I generally don't like big apps being included in Distros. Have an option with OpenOffice/Firefox/Thunderbird/Gimp but have a minimal install too. I guess I just end up back at Debian with some meta package or something, but that isn't very easy.