Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-09, 10:26 AM   #1
megaloman

Unhappy Ad-hoc second monitor problem

I use a Dell laptop - occasionally I have to present something on the bigger screen in the board room, every time I get the same issue - after connecting an external monitor and applying changes (via nvidia-settings) external monitor becomes a number 1 monitor, which I would expect to be my laptop's display. It's confusing, but it gets worse, when I want to switch off TwinView - it does not switch off automatically when I disconnect external monitor; if I switch TwinView off while external monitor is still connected, I get my laptop's display switched off; when I unplug external monitor - I have no way to come back to my desktop other then restarting X.

Is there any way to force NVIDIA drivers to keep laptop's display as a primary one? It is really annoying bug in NVIDIA drivers (or maybe it's not nvidia driver's fault?).
megaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 11:05 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Ad-hoc second monitor problem

Does this problem still occur if you check the "Make this the primary display for the X screen" checkbox for the laptop monitor in the nvidia-settings display configuration page?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 11:20 AM   #3
megaloman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Does this problem still occur if you check the "Make this the primary display for the X screen" checkbox for the laptop monitor in the nvidia-settings display configuration page?
When I select this check box and move second screen to the left side of the primary screen, part of the content of the primary screen is on the second screen and desktop becomes unresponsive.

I have set a driver option:

Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"

and with this settings switching off TwinView leads me to either crash or blank screen.

Surprisingly, now it worked fine (!).

What confuses me - when I want to switch TwinView, it actually switches off the screen, which is currently highlighted - how can I force DFP-0 to be always on and always a primary screen regardless what I attach to the external monitor's port?
Old 03-04-09, 11:21 AM   #4
megaloman

Smile Re: Ad-hoc second monitor problem

btw: thanks for a very quick reply!
Old 03-04-09, 11:25 AM   #5
megaloman

actually, laptop's display is still not a primary display - I've got a layout like that:

[CRT:1280x1024][DFP:1680x1050]

when I right click within Firefox on DFP screen, popup menu appears on the CRT screen - it does not happen if I do that on the desktop though...
Old 03-04-09, 11:35 AM   #6
megaloman

and after a few minutes of trying to do something with above configuration, display freezes though it seems to work still.

the “Make this the primary display for the X screen” checkbox seems to be selected by default for the primary screen - could it be thanks to the xorg.option I mentioned above?

Flickering between TwinView and single view seems to be unstable and working on random basis. Hope it could be improved / fixed soon.

For the record: I am using Fedora Core 10 with nvidia drivers from RPM Fusion repo, my hardware is Dell Precision M4300 laptop with Quadro FX 360M on board, screen has 1680x1050 resolution.
Old 03-04-09, 11:49 AM   #7
megaloman

I forgot to mention - thanks to NVIDIA crashes I've lost my desktop settings - panels, applets' settings etc. had to set up everything from the scratch.
Old 03-04-09, 12:56 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Several of these problems sound like bugs in your desktop environment, where it fails to properly handle the screen resize events. How exactly are you "switching off TwinView"? Can you please run "xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA" and attach the stuff at the bottom, starting at "XINERAMA version 1.1 opcode: foo", in both the successful and failing cases? If you're running with so-called desktop effects (i.e. compiz) running, please disable that and try again.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-09, 07:09 AM   #9
uto

I noticed the issue with turning on TwinView with nvidia-settings and do the following to get what I want:

when I mark my laptop's DFP as a primary display and press "Apply" button, additional monitor gets primary (setting “Make this the primary display for the X screen” is ignored). Then I press "Cancel" on "Would you like keep current settings?" dialog box. Then I simply press "Apply" button again (making no changes in configuration!!!) and then my laptop's DFP stays primary.

This issue is present for a long time. It should be fixed because it is annoying...
uto is offline   Reply With Quote