Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-14-09, 10:13 AM   #1
ubootfanat

Default DisplayPort and NVS160M

Hi there!

I am running a Dell Latitude here with a NVS160M. I am using Ubuntu 8.10 with nvidia driver version 177.82 from the ubuntu-repositories. Beside that, i am running a HP LP2475w monitor supporting DisplayPort input.
Using the analog VGA-technology nvidia-settings detects the correct screen with the correct resolution and everything is fine.

Connecting the Screen using the DisplayPort-thing, nvidia-settings detects an unknown screen with a resolution of 640x480 pixels at maximum - my HP supports 1920x1200.

I already gave the 180.11b-driver a chance with no success.

Is this a common problem, any ideas how I could solve this?

thanks very much
ubootfanat
ubootfanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 10:26 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: DisplayPort and NVS160M

Please see the forum sticky posts about how to report a problem.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 10:44 AM   #3
ubootfanat

sorry. here is the bug report.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (132.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 01-14-09, 03:11 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

It doesn't look like X is detecting your DP device at all. Is the monitor on when you start the X server? Also, please try 180.22 and start X with the -logverbose 6 option as per the sticky post and then generate a new bug report.
Old 01-16-09, 04:34 AM   #5
ubootfanat

yes. monitor is on when starting x server.

further I installed 180.22 but starting X with -logverbose does not work for me. It's moaning something about connection to xserver not possible (I am working on this).

the new logfile shows that DFP-3 is correctly detected as DisplayPort (line 1518) and that it sets the mode "...DFP-3:1920x1200..." (line 1549) (I entered the resolution manually in xorg.conf).

starting sudo nvidia-settings does show a device attached at DFP-3. There are a lot more resolutions available due to the new driver but the very maximum remains at 640x480. Switching the monitor to DisplayPort-input gives exactly the result nvidia-settings promises.

The more I try solving this problem, the more I suspect the monitor to just not send any useful info over the DisplayPort-link. Is there a way to override the resolution manually?

thanks again for your help
ubootfanat
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.gz (36.7 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-16-09, 10:20 AM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorg.0.log
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device DFP-3
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on Quadro NVS 160M at PCI:1:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0): HP LP2475w (CRT-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): LPL (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-3
(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-3: 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-3: Internal DisplayPort
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode
(II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select+0+0,DFP-3:1920x1200+1440+0"
Wow, I've never seen that from a DisplayPort device! You say it actually lit up at 640x480? I'm very surprised that an EDID couldn't be read but the DPCD could. If there were some problem that prevented the driver from reading the EDID, I would have expected it to fail link training as well. Does this panel work in Windows? You might try contacting HP to see if it needs a firmware upgrade.

As for forcing the resolution, you might be able to do it by using the ExactModeTimingsDVI option and then setting the traditional HorizSync and VertRefresh options in the monitor section, but you shouldn't have to; an EDID is required by the DisplayPort spec so either the monitor is out of spec or there's a bug in the driver that's preventing it from reading it. I'll try to find one of these monitors to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Given that VGA works, another option might be to save the EDID using nvidia-settings and then use the CustomEDID option to make the driver read the EDID for DFP-3 from a file instead of trying to read it from the monitor.
Old 01-16-09, 10:23 AM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubootfanat View Post
further I installed 180.22 but starting X with -logverbose does not work for me. It's moaning something about connection to xserver not possible (I am working on this).
Oh yeah, I forgot that there's a new option in 180.22, Option ModeDebug that you can set to enable verbose mode validation logging. You can set it by running nvidia-xconfig --mode-debug. That might be easier than trying to use -logverbose.
Old 04-05-09, 06:12 AM   #8
ubootfanat

finally got a new monitor from hp. all works well now.

thanks for help!