Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-09, 02:39 PM   #1
lancelot2

Default 180.29 installer complains that existing version.h does not exist

On my system a Debian squeeze x86_64 with a self-compiled kernel, the drivers 180.29 from the nvidia site installed just fine on all the kernels I did.

Today I tried to compile the newer version 180.44 and it failed, complaining that the hearder file version.h does not exist.

So, I went back and tried to install 180.29 again. Same failure with the same error message, kernel header file version.h does not exist:

Code:
ERROR: The kernel header file
       '/lib/modules/2.6.26-lancelot-005-amd64/build/include/linux/version.h'
       does not exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel
       source files in '/lib/modules/2.6.26-lancelot-005-amd64/build' have not
       been configured.
But, the header file version.h does exist, and the path given in the error message is correct!

What is happening here?
I'll be really thankful if someone has a clue.

Right now, I'm trying to compile a brand new kernel and see if I can install the nvidia drives on this one.
Edit: 180.44 installed on the brand new kernel. Still, I need to understand what happened. I can't have to recompile a kernel everytime nvidia puts up a new driver.
Edit: I found the reason. The build subdir of the moduels directory is just a symlink ot the kernel sources. But, in the kernel sources, a make mrproper will remove part of the header files, including this version.h. This is why it was not there when the nvidia installer was looking for it. And a few minutes thereafter, when *I* was looking for it, it was there because I had just started the compilation of a new kernel.
lancelot2 is offline   Reply With Quote