Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-03, 07:25 PM   #25
bwkaz

The thing I was looking for in the output from modprobe -c was this line:

Quote:
above hid keybdev mousedev
And it's there. This means that you have the newer version of whatever it was (probably modutils) that puts that in there.

However, you don't have the line that I had added, which would have shown up in the commands section:

Quote:
pre-install mousedev /sbin/modprobe hid
This line is not there, which is a good thing (well, sort of). Having both of those lines on my system is what caused it to stop after getting the splash screen, and you only have one of them.

So, I think we can rule that out.

But now... hmm. It definitely looks like either the driver or the card, or the interaction between the two (since it also failed on the Intel chipset). According to the README, the 5200 Ultra should be supported, though.

Don't suppose there's any chance you can find a spare 5200 Ultra card laying around, is there?

Although, if you have a slightly older card (say a GF4 Ti something), that one might be useful as a test.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 01:43 AM   #26
quelx

Send a message via AIM to quelx

-Maybe- I'll try to take the card back to Best Buy and get a 4 Ti to test then take that back too... Just to inflate sales and all... I did get down the errors I was getting when booting to the Gentoo Games CD, this is from AA not ET, but it's the same errors, note, this CD -does- work with my 2 MX 400, not my FX 5200 Ultra. All the interesting stuff is at the bottom, I think.

Thanks,

Travis
Attached Files
File Type: txt xfree86.0.log.gentoo.txt (15.0 KB, 91 views)
quelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 02:05 AM   #27
wrex

Default Do you have SystemV IPC enabled in your kernel?

Stumbled across this thread in another forum. Exactly the same symptoms as your problem, fwiw....

Gentoo Forum NVidia Lockup Thread

Good luck -- 4363 still isn't 100% reliable for me with my FX 5200 (almost, but not quite).
wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 10:24 AM   #28
quelx

Send a message via AIM to quelx

Alas, this is good information, but, my kernel has that enabled. System V has been in all of my precompiled kernels and most of the self-compiled kernels. Still poking around, learning, growing stronger, more powerful. Soon this card will bend to my will and function in the OS I want it to work in. I thought I was leaving Windows behind...

Oh boo hooo hoo....

-Travis

Heh, I forgot I had a few questions for you wrex, what chipset are you using? Are you using a precompiled distro kernel or a self compiled?
quelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 05:33 PM   #29
bwkaz

You can fix those "missing symbols" errors by trying one of two things. Try blowing away the Load "xtrap" line in the Modules section, and if that doesn't work, try adding Load "fb".

Oh, wait, this was a CD distro, wasn't it... well, try editing it right after startup -- hopefully the config file is on a ramdisk at that point.

Don't know if that'll help the sig4, either, though. According to man 7 signal, sig 4 is "illegal instruction", which might be caused by a jump or call to undefined areas of memory, so it is possible that it will help.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 11:18 PM   #30
wrex

Quote:
Originally posted by quelx
Alas, this is good information, but, my kernel has that enabled. System V has been in all of my precompiled kernels and most of the self-compiled kernels.
Note the comment in the gentoo thread about the USB mouse -- that also seemed to help at least one person.

Quote:
Heh, I forgot I had a few questions for you wrex, what chipset are you using? Are you using a precompiled distro kernel or a self compiled?
Athlon-XP 1900+ on a Soyo Dragon KT333/Ultra motherboard. I've been compiling all of my own kernels (currently using a 2.4.20 kernel with Con Kolivas's performance patches -- though I've run everything from vanilla 2.4 [straight from kernel.org] to all kinds of bizarre patches and boot options -- with no noticeable affect re: the nvidia lockup problem.)

Good luck.
--
Rex
wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-03, 01:58 AM   #31
cbk

Default it's the drivers

"I have the same problem as you quetx, 100% cpu useage, the unblinking nvidia eye just staring at me. I had went out and bought a PNY GForce 5200 to see if it would fix my nfoce2 chipset (onboard vid) problem. And It did! nice clear screen and all was working, till I installed the nvidia drivers, and configed my XFree86-4 file. So now, I'm back to step one on working on this NEW problem.

Quetx, thanks for posting all your info, It has been a real help, at least for showing me that my system is the same as others and that the Kernel Gods are not messing around with me.

I will keep trying things out, and will post anything that I think will help others.

Now if we can get Nvidia to come out with a better FAQ that might help!!!!!!!!