Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-09, 09:31 AM   #1
TheOnlyDan

Unhappy Black screen after installing new NVidia linux driver on OpenSuse 11.1

Hi,

I'm running 11.1 and it was stuck on Mesa drivers even though I had a recognised graphics card ( Nvidia 6600 ). So I decided to install the latest Linux drivers from Nvidia. I followed their instructions, added their repositories to the update list, updated using software management and rebooted my machine. Now I have a black screen instead of the login screen. The machine seems to hang and do nothing. I noticed that I forgot to run the "sax2 -r" command after installing. So I restarted the machine in text mode, logged in as root and run the command. Still got a black screen.

I'm using a DELL Latitude 4400 with a GF6600 AGP and OpenSuse 11.1 and a Dell flat screen display.

Any ideas on how to fix this ? As I want to do opengl programming on Linux I really need the 3d acceleration.

I can start the distro in failsafe mode which seems to allow X11 to run in software mode. Running the "sax2 -r" command hangs after displaying "XServer : 0.0 -> grant".

Cheers,
Pascal.
TheOnlyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 10:18 AM   #2
busbus

Default Re: Black screen after installing new NVidia linux driver on OpenSuse 11.1

have you checked your xorg.log? on some cards the nvidia driver seems to be unable to display the ttys and only shows a blank screen. it could be that your x does not start properly and leaves you with this blank screen. i have this problem aswell, you are still able to pass commands to the console but you dont see nothing..
busbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 10:40 AM   #3
TheOnlyDan

Unhappy Re: Black screen after installing new NVidia linux driver on OpenSuse 11.1

Hi,

No I haven't checked the log yet but that sounds very similar. Do you know how to fix this ?

Alternatively is there a linux distro which is easy to install and will allow me to do OpenGL work without having to jump through hoops supporting the latest NVidia features ? I want to do some shader work in Linux but this is getting painful.

Cheers,
Pascal.
Old 04-05-09, 12:16 PM   #4
MD25

Default Re: Black screen after installing new NVidia linux driver on OpenSuse 11.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyDan View Post
Hi,
Running the "sax2 -r" command hangs after displaying "XServer : 0.0 -> grant".
Have you tried sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia ? (digit 0 not letter O)
MD25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 12:45 PM   #5
TheOnlyDan

Unhappy Re: Black screen after installing new NVidia linux driver on OpenSuse 11.1

Yeah doesn't do anything.
Old 10-18-09, 10:26 AM   #6
TheOnlyDan

sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia gives the same result. It hangs after Sax : XServer : : 0.0 -> grant. Any other ideas ?

Thanks,
Pascal.
Old 10-18-09, 11:34 AM   #7
DrSuSE

You should/could... (in no particular order)

1. Try the latest RC (see sticky)
2. Generate the needed reports/logs to properly troubleshoot (see sticky)
DrSuSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 08:12 PM   #8
cheongi

Having struggled for many days to get my nvidia card recognised on 11.1, it can be made to work but didn't really do anything useful.

Check here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...nt-change.html
http://forums.opensuse.org/install-b...upgrade-2.html

openSUSE 11.2-RC1 uses the graphics acceleration properly.
http://forums.opensuse.org/pre-relea...ml#post2053096
cheongi is offline   Reply With Quote