Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-09, 04:40 PM   #13
ppurka

Default Re: 185.19 to 180.44 screwes up WMV, AVI, MPG video playback....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
mdoerner,

Are you using VDPAU output, or Xv? (ppurka who reports the same issue is using Xv).

Can you try adjusting the brightness/contrast/saturation/hue settings in your video application? Alternatively, do this using nvidia-settings after your video player application has started running.
Wow, thanks! Changing contrast setting in mplayer has fixed the problem for the video which originally appeared totally black, as well as for new videos (which appear fine from the start).
ppurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 06:07 PM   #14
mdoerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
mdoerner,

Are you using VDPAU output, or Xv? (ppurka who reports the same issue is using Xv).

Can you try adjusting the brightness/contrast/saturation/hue settings in your video application? Alternatively, do this using nvidia-settings after your video player application has started running.
Yes, this is the issue. I went into Nvidia Control Settings - Contrast, Hue, and Saturation were all set to zero. Resetting them to 4096, 180, and 4096 respectively has made the video visible again. Brightness was set to zero as well, but this seems to be the median value. Thanks for the tip.

PS Looking at the previous responses, hitting the "Reset Defaults" does the same thing, only the HUE is changed to zero. Works fine now. I feel like I've put the Duh in Dummy....Oh well. I won't make the same mistake again...on to newer, bigger mistakes....;-)

Mike Doerner
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 09:20 PM   #15
Stephen Warren

I don't recall which versions do/don't have the change, but there was a change in some driver version to fix the range and default values for some of the Xv color controls to be spec compliant. It's possible that if MPlayer/... are caching the values it sets for those Xv attributes, then it may set the same cached values on a different driver release without validating that they still make sense, and that might cause the problem, or something like that.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote