Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-09, 12:26 PM   #13
Stephen Warren

Default Re: 185.19 - feedback

A couple more questions on this; you mentioned that the issue pops up randomly after 15-30 minutes playback, so:
1) If you play the same video file, does the problem occur at the same place each time?
2) If you just play the clip you uploaded, does the problem occur?
Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 02:04 PM   #14
piotro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
A couple more questions on this; you mentioned that the issue pops up randomly after 15-30 minutes playback, so:
1) If you play the same video file, does the problem occur at the same place each time?
2) If you just play the clip you uploaded, does the problem occur?
Thanks.
Stephen,

Ad 1: No. It is random. Sometimes I have to wait hours to popup, sometimes I get it within 10-15 minutes.

Ad 2: Issue is that problem popups randomly. For catching it, we have to have long enough test duration. I'm testing it on 1.5G file which has 37min length. Provided to You sample is about 20sec - so maybe looping it and playing continuously allow You catch issue. If not - I don't have idea how to upload 1.5G via 256kb/s link in reasonable time.

br
piotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 02:18 PM   #15
Stephen Warren

That'll only tak 14 hours to upload:-) I'll see if looping will work, or if I can find/create a longer test clip.

One other thing you can try; please run the following command before MythTV:

export VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG=3

and see if that makes VDPAU emit any error messages when the problem occurs, so MythTV's stdout/stderr.

I do have one question on your corruption: If I understand correctly, the left square part of your photo contains the correct image that's being played back OK at regular frame rate even after the problem occurs, with the exception that the colors are solarized, and the image is clipped or compressed in size. However, the right part of the photo is just some previous image that never gets updated?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-09, 02:27 PM   #16
Stephen Warren

One more thing to try: What form of de-interlacing did you configure MythTV to do; can you turn it off or force weave mode? Is it possible to completely disable OSD, so the video isn't being mixed with any OSD surfaces (even if they're empty)? There were some internal changes to the VdpVideoMixer implementation between 180.44 and 185.*, so it's plausible that could have introduced an issue.
Old 04-11-09, 01:12 PM   #17
piotro

Quote:
and see if that makes VDPAU emit any error messages when the problem occurs, so MythTV's stdout/stderr.
Well, unfortunately when issue popups there is no any additional info in log.

Quote:
I do have one question on your corruption: If I understand correctly, the left square part of your photo contains the correct image that's being played back OK at regular frame rate even after the problem occurs, with the exception that the colors are solarized, and the image is clipped or compressed in size. However, the right part of the photo is just some previous image that never gets updated?
Left square is playing with regular framerate. Colors are solarized and I see only green and pink colors. Right part of screen is splited into 2 rectangles: upper is still and has 25Hz flickering, while down is stalled. Proportion of split between upper and down rectangles is various.
Smooth playback on left square suggest me that issue isn't within decoder, but rather in post-processing stages.

Quote:
One more thing to try: What form of de-interlacing did you configure MythTV to do;
As I'm using MCP78 IGP, so for 1080i and double framerate requirement - only bob 2x can be used. Temporal 2x/Advanced 2x are too demanding - if I'm using 1920x1080@50p output. As movement smoothness is important for me - only bob 2x can be considered.

BTW: are You aware about subtle issue with when bob 2x is used and output is 1920x1080 ?
Issue is following: during smooth playback, randomly, once per 1-10min (approx) I have flashing single, 10x magnified-like single frame. Flash is random and so short (I think it is single frame) that it is difficult to say what is flash content. It looks like magnified part of picture.
Issue is poping up only when output is full HD (1920x1080). For 1600x1200 or 1368x768 outputs I wasn't able to observe this issue (many hours of usage).
Turning off bob 2x on the same content & setup gives playback OK (of course without deinterlacing :-( ). Issue looks like bob 2x deinterlacer related one.

Quote:
can you turn it off or force weave mode?
Yes. I made test with switched off deinterlacer. So far so good (5 times replay of whole 37 min file). It plays OK: no square playback issue and no flashing frame issue.

Quote:
Is it possible to completely disable OSD, so the video isn't being mixed with any OSD surfaces (even if they're empty)? There were some internal changes to the VdpVideoMixer implementation between 180.44 and 185.*, so it's plausible that could have introduced an issue.
This will be difficult as I don't see nay way to totally disable OSD in myth :-(

At his stage, my general feeling is that issue is related to bob 2x deinterlacer. I will test other deinterlacers capable to deal with 1080i and 1920x1080p output. Will see.

It will be nice when we will be able address bob 2x flashing issue, as double framerate deinterlacers gives me really nice smoothness in motion. As for 1920x1080p output only bob 2x can be used on 8200 IGP - I must stay with bob 2x.

br
Old 04-11-09, 05:01 PM   #18
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotro View Post
BTW: are You aware about subtle issue with when bob 2x is used and output is 1920x1080 ?
Issue is following: during smooth playback, randomly, once per 1-10min (approx) I have flashing single, 10x magnified-like single frame. Flash is random and so short (I think it is single frame) that it is difficult to say what is flash content. It looks like magnified part of picture.
Issue is poping up only when output is full HD (1920x1080). For 1600x1200 or 1368x768 outputs I wasn't able to observe this issue (many hours of usage).
Is this issue also a regression between 180.44 and 185.19?

I've filed a bug for the main issue. I'll try to repro...

Finally, do you know if you're using the overlay or blit-based presentation queue? You can force blit with:

export VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1

before running MythTV.
Old 04-12-09, 06:35 AM   #19
piotro

Quote:
Is this issue also a regression between 180.44 and 185.19?
Well,

bug1: deinterlacer flashing issue: no regression. It was in previous versions.

bug2: square solarized playback: after some tests with 180.44 it looks like it is not regression as I'm able to catch it also with 180.44.

bug1 looks like issue with deinterlacers as for progressive content or interlaced with no deinterlacer playback is OK.

Quote:
I've filed a bug for the main issue. I'll try to repro...

Finally, do you know if you're using the overlay or blit-based presentation queue? You can force blit with:

export VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1

before running MythTV.
I believe it is overlay as after setting export VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 picture & OSD are little different.

With forced blit pres.queue I have following results (1080@50i, out=1920x1080@50p) for 5-times repeated playback of whole movie:

deniterlacer, smooth play, solarize bug, flashing bug

1. none, yes, no, no
2. onefield 1x hw, yes, no, no
3. bob 2x hw, yes, no, no
4. temp 1x hw, yes, yes, yes
5. adv 1x hw, no, not tested, not tested
6. temp 2x hw, yes, yes, yes
7. adv 2x hw, no, not tested, not tested

Comparing blit mode with overlay mode: in blit mode, bob 2x hw hasn't issues, but other more advanced deinterlacers (temporal or advanced still have both issues).
In overlay mode only none and onefield 1x hw looks like issue-less.

Unfortunately, in blit mode, for my taste picture has lower quality than in overlay mode (lower sharpness, chroma aberration-like little distortions, less sharp OSD and non-fluent OSD fades).
If we will be able to achieve bug-less playback with temp 2x hw overlay mode - it will be ideal for me.

For flash issue I recorded playback via camera, play film frame-by-frame and catch issue. See attached pic. For me it looks like i.e. missed vsync.

br
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash_issue-1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	36430  
Old 04-13-09, 03:27 AM   #20
DMJC

I get errors with this driver when I run 3d programs. I have been having errors with the drivers ever since I first got my 260 gtx. But I was also having problems with my 8800gts 320mb. lot's of NV Xid errrors. I have disabled mmioconf
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (38.9 KB, 83 views)
DMJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-09, 07:19 AM   #21
piotro

Stephen,

I do some additional tests regarding "flashig frame" & "solarised square playback" issues.

Changing xorg from 7.3 (xserver1.4.3) to 7.4 (xserver1.6.0) changes nothing.

I have impression that both issues are related to deinterlacing as with no-deinterlacers there is no flasing and no solarised playback issues.

Also frequency of issues is proportional to deinterlacer advancement.

no-deinterlacer: no issues
one-field 1x hw: "flashing frame" every 10-20min
bob 2x hw: "flashing frame" every few min
temporal 2x hw: "flashing frame" every hundreds seconds min

br
Old 04-16-09, 04:05 PM   #22
piotro

Stephen,

Should I test 180.50, or rater my issues aren't addressed in this release ?
Old 04-16-09, 04:07 PM   #23
Stephen Warren

No, this isn't repro'd nor fixed yet. I'll let you know when it is.
Old 05-18-09, 07:59 PM   #24
Stephen Warren

Sorry, I haven't been able to spend any further time attempting to repro this.

I'd be very curious:
* If anyone else besides the orignal poster is seeing this, please speak up!
* I don't think I asked this: Can you repro this in any papplication other than MythTV, e.g. MPlayer?