Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-09, 09:19 AM   #1
sse123

Default dual external displays on Quadro FX 770m, possible?

I'm trying to connect two external displays to my HP 8530w notebook, which has a Quadro FX 770m.
(internal display is disabled)

My primary display is a 30" (2560x1600), connected via dual-link DVI to my docking station.
Now I'd like to connect another 24" (1920x1200) via HDMI.

So far, I couldn't get it to work, maybe the 770m has only two TMDS lanes, already consumed by the dual-link connection? Or is the HDMI port wired in parallel to the dual-link DVI-port, using one of the two links?

BTW, besides that, the GPU is unable to sense any connected displays on the digital ports, and unable to read EDIDs, even with the latest beta 185.19
so I always have to hand over the EDIDs manually via the CustomEDID option and tell the driver which ports are connected via the ConnectedMonitor option.
Then it seems not to be possible to load two CustomEDIDs, if I have two lines in my config, e.g.
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/edid1.bin"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-2:/edid2.bin"
only the first line is evaluated. comma separation like "DFP-1:/edid1.bin, DPF-2:/edid2.bin" doesn't work either.
sse123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 01:49 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: dual external displays on Quadro FX 770m, possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sse123 View Post
I'm trying to connect two external displays to my HP 8530w notebook, which has a Quadro FX 770m.
(internal display is disabled)

My primary display is a 30" (2560x1600), connected via dual-link DVI to my docking station.
Now I'd like to connect another 24" (1920x1200) via HDMI.

So far, I couldn't get it to work, maybe the 770m has only two TMDS lanes, already consumed by the dual-link connection? Or is the HDMI port wired in parallel to the dual-link DVI-port, using one of the two links?
It ought to work. Please see the forum sticky posts about how to report a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sse123 View Post
BTW, besides that, the GPU is unable to sense any connected displays on the digital ports, and unable to read EDIDs, even with the latest beta 185.19
so I always have to hand over the EDIDs manually via the CustomEDID option and tell the driver which ports are connected via the ConnectedMonitor option.
Then it seems not to be possible to load two CustomEDIDs, if I have two lines in my config, e.g.
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/edid1.bin"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-2:/edid2.bin"
only the first line is evaluated. comma separation like "DFP-1:/edid1.bin, DPF-2:/edid2.bin" doesn't work either.
As per the documentation, you need a semicolon instead of a comma.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 06:10 AM   #3
sse123

Aaron, thanks a lot for your response!

I'm sorry for not reading the docs properly, with a semicolon as separator, both EDIDs are loaded.

Anyway, the GPU refuses to set a metamode with both displays, log attached.
Please note that in the log, the link type of my external monitors is always reported as "Internal Single Link TMDS", but my 30" works perfectly.

Maybe it's a case of the X server, I'll try with 1.6.0 as well.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (56.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 04-09-09, 10:21 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

That's odd that it can't detect that any of your monitors are connected. Are you sure that DFP-1 and DFP-2 are the correct ports? Please also try [DFP-0, DFP-1] and [DFP-0, DFP-2].
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 12:07 PM   #5
sse123

thanks again for your effort, I tried all possible combinations, to no avail.
DFP-0 always seems to be the internal display, -1 DVI and -2 HDMI.

I even got my old 20" tft out, and replaced the 30" with it, same thing. so it's most likely not related to the dual link connection.
(also the same with xorg 1.6.0 on fedora rawhide, btw)

I believe that HP wired the GPU so well, that it can't drive the dvi and hdmi port at the same time. or maybe it's just the video BIOS? (I switched from a Lenovo to this machine, as Lenovo switched from nvidia to ati with their t400/500 line, but HP's bios implementations are a bunch of crap, compared to Lenovo's IMHO)

is the video bios the manufacturer's business oder nvidia's? maybe there's a new out by now
(mine: Video BIOS: 62.94.3b.00.06) but not on HP's support site anyway...