Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-09, 09:15 PM   #1
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default I'm craving an action RPG

I've been dying to play a solid action RPG with great loot collecting, fun bosses, and interesting character development choices. Of course there's Diablo 2, which I have, but I really can't play it anymore - just burned out on it after so many years. I have Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, and I'm up to Act 3 now. I like the character development system but the pace of the game is very slow and the bosses are boring (just whack at em till they die).

Anyone know of a hidden gem out there, preferably something made recently? Hellgate: London was supposed to be the game that fills this void for me, but we know how that turned out. I need something to tide me over until Diablo 3!!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 09:29 PM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: I'm craving an action RPG

Sacred 2 comes to mind, though I never played it myself.

Not a lot of other Diablo clones out right now that I know of. Maybe Marvel Ultimate Alliance, if you like comics.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 09:33 PM   #3
|MaguS|

If you got a PS3 you can always give demons souls a shot. Its a 3rd person action rpg thats heavy on the gring and difficulty. Boss battles are great with all of them requiring different strats to beat them.
Old 04-07-09, 09:34 PM   #4
methimpikehoses

Titan Quest was pretty good.
Old 04-07-09, 09:36 PM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Dawn of War II, not really a RPG, but it has many RPG elements and there is a lot of action.

Also Loki, there are two demos on Steam try them out.
Old 04-07-09, 09:37 PM   #6
|MaguS|

My problem with TQ was that it doesn't randomize the dungeons so it hurts the replayability.
Old 04-07-09, 09:40 PM   #7
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I tried Ultimate Alliance but it really isn't as in-depth as I'd like. Maybe I'll check out Sacred 2 though, I've heard of it but never really seen anything about it.

I do have DoW2 and it's really fun. Was kind of looking for more of a solo character type thing though. Magus is Demons Soul an import only title? I remember reading a thread you made about it but it seemed that it wasn't sold in the US. And I agree about TQ, I want to finish the campaign but I can't see continuing through all the difficulty levels.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 04-07-09, 09:40 PM   #8
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
My problem with TQ was that it doesn't randomize the dungeons so it hurts the replayability.
but the dungeons look better that way, In Diablo series dungeons were random and their were blant.

Old 04-07-09, 09:46 PM   #9
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
I've been dying to play a solid action RPG with great loot collecting, fun bosses, and interesting character development choices. Of course there's Diablo 2, which I have, but I really can't play it anymore - just burned out on it after so many years. I have Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, and I'm up to Act 3 now. I like the character development system but the pace of the game is very slow and the bosses are boring (just whack at em till they die).
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you're in the "normal" difficulty. TQ was designed for the long haul, and the bosses in Epic and Legendary are far far more difficult (and there are some bonus bosses in the higher levels as well).

If you can't stomach playing through the game three times (I did, but I loved the game) then go get the Mercury mod for TQ. It's easy to use, and lets you push a character right up to Legendary at level 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
but the dungeons look better that way, In Diablo series dungeons were random and their were blant.
I completely agree... If people don't mind raiding the same dungeons in WoW over and over again, then there's no reason that TQ should have to be randomized. I much prefer the hand-crafted visuals of TQ over Diablo II. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if much of Diablo III was less random due to the fact that random does not always equal good (I'm looking at you, Hellgate: London).
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 09:53 PM   #10
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yep Kaguya I'm on normal right now. I really am impressed by the character customization and all the great features the game has that really streamline the experience. The combat is very fun and the loot system is great too. I guess my biggest complaint is that each act seems to really drag on and the bosses seem to have no strategy to them. I haven't fought one yet that requires me to do more than whack away and chug health potions (though I'm getting to the point where I hardly use that many potions anymore). Does that change later on? Maybe I'll try that mod you mentioned. I don't really like using third party hacks though, I'm kind of a purist.

And don't get me started on HG:L. What a waste of potential.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 04-07-09, 10:10 PM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
I tried Ultimate Alliance but it really isn't as in-depth as I'd like. Maybe I'll check out Sacred 2 though, I've heard of it but never really seen anything about it.

I do have DoW2 and it's really fun. Was kind of looking for more of a solo character type thing though. Magus is Demons Soul an import only title? I remember reading a thread you made about it but it seemed that it wasn't sold in the US. And I agree about TQ, I want to finish the campaign but I can't see continuing through all the difficulty levels.
Yeah its import only but its completly in english... Hunt likes it and you know that says alot since he basically hates everything.
Old 04-07-09, 10:48 PM   #12
Buio

Titan Quest is better than Sacred 2 in my opinion, but it's worth testing Sacred 2 anyway. The latest patch even added hardware PhysX support (and a lot more too) which can look nice on your GTX 285. I don't really like the combat system in Sacred 2, but that's my personal view.

Sacred 2 has a huge streaming world map, which is really cool. TQ also has streaming world map, but the one in Sacred 2 is coherent. You can check or download (30mb jpeg!) a fan updated map with POI here: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5...Map_of_Ancaria

Btw, there is a demo avilable for Sacred 2 if you wanna try it. Quite large, 1.7GB.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote