Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-09, 11:59 PM   #13
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

Default Re: I'm craving an action RPG

Ya know, HG:L was such a cool game in the beginning, when we were just starting. Right before they came out with the nerf bat and stopped allowing grinding of bosses. Grinding was actually fun, brought me back to wow. But then the nerf bat came along with some useless PVP bs that didn't ever pan out.

It just got worse and worse, too bad, a game with such potential wasted on trying to control it too much.

I'm also in the same boat, played TQ, boring, don't want to get back into WOW, too time consuming. Might check out Sacred, looks like that's about the closest and newest thing towards the Diablo style RPG. NWN2 was a big joke should of never purchased that crap, turn style was NEVER appealing to me. Too, geeky, if there was a label for it.
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:59 PM   #14
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

TQ is a great game, i broke my mouse while playing it
Old 04-08-09, 12:05 AM   #15
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
Titan Quest is better than Sacred 2 in my opinion, but it's worth testing Sacred 2 anyway. The latest patch even added hardware PhysX support (and a lot more too) which can look nice on your GTX 285. I don't really like the combat system in Sacred 2, but that's my personal view.

Sacred 2 has a huge streaming world map, which is really cool. TQ also has streaming world map, but the one in Sacred 2 is coherent. You can check or download (30mb jpeg!) a fan updated map with POI here: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5...Map_of_Ancaria

Btw, there is a demo avilable for Sacred 2 if you wanna try it. Quite large, 1.7GB.
How is Sacred 2 worse then TQ if you could expand on that. I've played TQ and expansion it was okay just very LONG.
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 12:10 AM   #16
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
If you got a PS3 you can always give demons souls a shot. Its a 3rd person action rpg thats heavy on the gring and difficulty. Boss battles are great with all of them requiring different strats to beat them.
I hate your guts... I was about to come in here and say that .

BTW... beat the game ... playing through again on NG+ and holy crap, it gets even harder.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 01:03 AM   #17
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
How is Sacred 2 worse then TQ if you could expand on that. I've played TQ and expansion it was okay just very LONG.
I don't really like the combat system in Sacred 2. First of all it is limited to 4 active combat abilities which you can change from a list of different ones in 3 trees. At the same time it also has 4 weapon slots, which is kind of useless with most characters. I'd rather had 8 dynamic slots that you can set up as you want making more combat abilities available for use. The abilities you never learn from leveling but instead from mob drops (unrealistic). But they drop a lot and you can trade to get the ones you want. And finally, using the abilities have cooldowns, so the combat system is more about managing timers instead of creating cool attack patterns and managing mana like in Diablo 2. So after using an ability you are either waiting for a cooldown or autoattacking (boring).

Gotta give them that it is kind of unique system though.

Also on plus side is that they do have closed servers so you have online characters (not stored locally), and there is also a hardcore mode where if you die, you die. You can check online characters on their website (it's possible to hide if you want).

Here is f.e. the highest HC character (max lvl is 200)
http://www.sacred2.net/#/char.html?char=166273
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 01:30 AM   #18
mojoman0

Dark Messiah is fun and not extremely deep. It still has plenty of RPG elements and collecting but the combat is much more in depth than other RPG's. Fun too..and cheap!
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 08:28 AM   #19
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok

While in theory the dungeons in Titan Quest should have been better because they were hand crafted, more often they were so simple and boring that a random generator could have easily come up with them. The outdoor areas were great though.

On the bosses, wait until the higher difficulty levels. Then it really does matter, waiting until you see the enemies tell and running away. Especially the new, optional bosses. They will one shot kill you if you don't know what you are doing. Like most action rpgs, the first difficulty setting is cake-walk mode.

Although that speaks more to "action" rpgs being so loot centric and having no skill than anything else.
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 09:55 AM   #20
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
I hate your guts... I was about to come in here and say that .

BTW... beat the game ... playing through again on NG+ and holy crap, it gets even harder.
Do you have a life? How the hell do you beat every game so fast... Do you do anything other then play games? jesus man

Old 04-08-09, 10:16 AM   #21
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Do you have a life? How the hell do you beat every game so fast... Do you do anything other then play games? jesus man
His hobbies are:
  • Listening to Michael Flatley tap dance
  • Watching MF Videos
  • Polishing his MF trophies
  • Creating web sites about his love for Michael Flatley

DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 10:48 AM   #22
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrok View Post
On the bosses, wait until the higher difficulty levels. Then it really does matter, waiting until you see the enemies tell and running away. Especially the new, optional bosses. They will one shot kill you if you don't know what you are doing. Like most action rpgs, the first difficulty setting is cake-walk mode.

Although that speaks more to "action" rpgs being so loot centric and having no skill than anything else.
Very true. Maybe I should just keep pushing through TQ. After all thinking back to it, Diablo 2's bosses didn't really require any kind of strategy either. I'm not looking for something overly elaborate, just something that involves more than me just standing still and attacking over and over. Also I was thinking maybe I picked a more boring Mastery combination than I could have. I chose Defense/Dream. It works really well and with the deep defense skills I'm actually taking down groups very easily, but I've seen some videos of some of the Warfare builds and they seem a little more interesting. I've managed to pick up a lot of epic equipment that would work great for an Assassin or something.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:17 AM   #23
Buio

Anyway if you play Titan Quest, then there are some mods.

First of all you should play with Titan Quest Fanpatch 1.16. If fixes a bunch of issues without changing gameplay.
http://www.titanquest.net/forums/bug...fix-patch.html

There are more mods here:
http://www.titanquest.net/forums/modding-titan-quest/
A listing of some of the popular ones:
http://www.titanquest.net/forums/mod...-programs.html

Where fore example there are a few mods that increase the difficulty of the game, like Ubermod.
http://www.titanquest.net/forums/mod...mod-1-0-a.html
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 12:15 PM   #24
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Wow - I used TQ Defiler to remove my Dream Mastery points and then totally redid my spec to a Conqueror...this is so much more fun and my character is far more powerful than he was before. I didn't realize how big a difference a crappy spec would make! Heh heh I think this'll be enough of a fix for me for now.

Buio, is that fan patch worth using? It sounds like it makes your game messed up. Anyway I'll check it out thanks for mentioning it.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote