Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-15-10, 05:22 PM   #577
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Default Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat

I can't find the fine tools at the >> Workshop substation<< I've searched the joint top and bottom and I even found a stash on the roof? Where are they? do I need to accept a quest to find them before they will appear? It's annoying me. There is no way to get into the big building on the left is there? it's just the smaller buildings that I can search?
Old 02-15-10, 06:00 PM   #578
Kilgore.dfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
I think it takes a while until Owl and other traders get better equipment (incl. Veles detectors) once you have unlocked the wealth archivement. Alternatively you can check out this walkthrough guide. http://guides.gamepressure.com/stalk...de.asp?ID=9001
I already had the achievement but anyway, after doing some quests with scientists now i can trade with Hermann who sells them.
Kilgore.dfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 06:11 PM   #579
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore.dfa View Post
I already had the achievement but anyway, after doing some quests with scientists now i can trade with Hermann who sells them.

Owl doesn't ... and it affects something very important.
FFS Use some damn spoiler safe guards.
Old 02-15-10, 06:35 PM   #580
loinbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
None of the sun shadow stuff shows up on a cloudy day. The game only looks good with alot of dynMic light. Try taking some shots of campfires at night.
Yes! I think you've identified the major problem with the game for me. Also, a lot of the time the skybox texture doesn't match the ambient lighting so you'll have orange-hued terrain but a bright blue sky, or very clear and naturally-lit ambient lighting but a dark and cloudy sky. I've installed AtmosFEAR and it does go a long way to helping with the lighting - most notably, the sun stays out for most of the day and there is a dynamic light source being cast even when the sun goes behind a cloud. I was hesitant to install because I didn't really like how "nice" it made everything look, too neat and primrose, but after playing for a bit I've noticed the weather does get foggy/cloudy/stormy/hostile enough to still achieve that oppressive feeling (also the emissions/blowouts look terrible).

I'll take a screenshot in a little bit, maybe, to show it off! Do people use any other graphics/texture mods or user.ltx settings to make things look pretty? Also: do people get graphical glitches like I do when enabling AA?
loinbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 07:14 PM   #581
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loinbread View Post
Yes! I think you've identified the major problem with the game for me. Also, a lot of the time the skybox texture doesn't match the ambient lighting so you'll have orange-hued terrain but a bright blue sky, or very clear and naturally-lit ambient lighting but a dark and cloudy sky. I've installed AtmosFEAR and it does go a long way to helping with the lighting - most notably, the sun stays out for most of the day and there is a dynamic light source being cast even when the sun goes behind a cloud. I was hesitant to install because I didn't really like how "nice" it made everything look, too neat and primrose, but after playing for a bit I've noticed the weather does get foggy/cloudy/stormy/hostile enough to still achieve that oppressive feeling (also the emissions/blowouts look terrible).

I'll take a screenshot in a little bit, maybe, to show it off! Do people use any other graphics/texture mods or user.ltx settings to make things look pretty? Also: do people get graphical glitches like I do when enabling AA?
I use this graphics pack (cut and pasted URL from a couple of pages back)

Graphics Pack: http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Gr...95317x#1668418

With all in-game settings at max, I get a total sllide show if I enable any driver level AA. Even the title screen has horrible mouse lag with AA enabled.
Old 02-15-10, 07:34 PM   #582
DennisK4

Very short 23 second 1080p HD clip of the AtmosFear mod in action (yes I know the framerate is not great).

Old 02-15-10, 07:39 PM   #583
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I liked the first Stalker, then bought Clear Skies and never even bothered getting out of swamp, it just didn't capture my interest.

But that Call of Pripyat Promo on steam is tempting. Should I got for it?
Old 02-15-10, 07:45 PM   #584
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
I liked the first Stalker, then bought Clear Skies and never even bothered getting out of swamp, it just didn't capture my interest.

But that Call of Pripyat Promo on steam is tempting. Should I got for it?
The first map of CoP is a bit like oblivion with guns. pretty much free to go wherever you like, collect artifacts, sell them, do quests. an excellent collection of monsters and NPCs roam around the landscape on their way to whatever they are doing.

If you own the first Stalker on steam then it only costs $20 for CoP.

Old 02-15-10, 08:39 PM   #585
loinbread

Here's what it looks like with Atmosfear vs. Vanilla (top and bottom):

Old 02-15-10, 09:01 PM   #586
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loinbread View Post
Here's what it looks like with Atmosfear vs. Vanilla (top and bottom):

hmm, one just looks a bit brighter than the other really. I quite like the weather effects of the unmodded game. It rains frequently and it's very well implemented rain. It looks nice and it sounds great. The only weather mod I would like to see is a "rain falling on tin roof" sound for when you take shelter under an iron roof. that would be cool. I would feel cozy
Old 02-15-10, 09:01 PM   #587
loinbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
The only weather mod I would like to see is a "rain falling on tin roof" sound for when you take shelter under an iron roof. that would be cool. I would feel cozy
Yeah! I really miss that feeling from Shadow of Chernobyl.
Old 02-15-10, 10:15 PM   #588
sillyeagle
sillyego

*Spoiler Alert!!!*

The ending was a big disappointment. I figured I was just getting into the meat of the Pripyat quests, but no, I was actually completing the final quests and next thing I knew

I had passed the point of no return and was stuck in Pripyat. Half the marked locations on the prypiat map are not even visted, and with that many unvisited locations I figured there were plenty of quests left. CoP seem much shorter than the first two games.

I read there are 'green' scopes available, with more magnification than the 'blue' ones, but I never saw one. Does anybody know where or how the green scopes are aquired? Specifically a green nato scope?

EVGA Intel X58