Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-09, 08:50 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Microsoft: Please Don't Upgrade Win 7 Beta to RC

Are you running Windows 7 Beta and can’t wait to upgrade to the Release Candidate? Microsoft would like you not to do that.

In the latest Engineering Windows 7 blog post, the developer team is imploring those currently running the beta to not upgrade to the Release Candidate when it is available, but instead either go back to their previous Vista install if possible, or a completely fresh install.

The Windows 7, sympathizing with current users of the OS, wrote, “We know that means reinstalling, recustomizing, reconfiguring, and so on. That is a real pain. The reality is that upgrading from one pre-release build to another is not a scenario we want to focus on because it is not something real-world customers will experience.”

While this is a clear inconvenience for current users of Windows 7 beta, the purpose of releasing the operating system to testers is for exactly that -- testing. Data on how Windows 7 behaves during an upgrade from the beta to the RC is largely useless to Microsoft since that’s not an activity that would be common for the final product. Data regarding the upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, however, is hugely important.

“A big part of the beta process is making sure we get as much ‘real world’ coverage of scenarios and experiences as possible and monitor the telemetry of those experience overall,” wrote the Windows 7 team. “One of the most challenging areas to engineer is the process of upgrading one release of Windows to another. When you think about it, it is the one place where at one time we need to run a ton of code to basically ‘know’ everything about a system before performing the upgrade.”

For the betterment of the Windows 7 final experience, the team implored, “As an extended member of the development team and a participant in the Beta program that has helped us so much, we want to ask that you experience real-world setup and provide us real-world telemetry.”

Before current users of the beta let out a heavy sigh at the task they may be faced with, Microsoft realizes that people own PCs rather than other platforms because it gives them freedom of choice. For this reason, Microsoft is detailing method that will permit the upgrade of the beta to the RC when it is released. Although it’s not recommended, and Microsoft warns of some “oddities” that may crop up after a beta upgrade, it’s there if the user must have it. Read about the procedure here.

Kudos to Microsoft for both respecting the its current testers and looking after the quality of Windows 7 final.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...e-rc,7493.html
Old 04-08-09, 08:56 PM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Microsoft: Please Don't Upgrade Win 7 Beta to RC

People who test beta operating systems know that they will have to reformat/reinstall at some point; aka it's not a permanent solution.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 12:01 AM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
People who test beta operating systems know that they will have to reformat/reinstall at some point; aka it's not a permanent solution.
Exactly. People whine too much. I do a clean format almost every W7 build. If you cant or dont wanna reformat you should not be using betas. I keep it on another HD and choose boot order in the BIOS so with a reboot Im back to Vista with all my games and apps. Nothing lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 12:32 AM   #4
mullet

Format is to easy to even b1tch about. Backup/format/15minutes/done.
Old 04-09-09, 12:29 PM   #5
wolfgar

Their request makes 100% perfect sense from a software development and business perspective.

Why waste a single hour of effort into supporting the upgrade of one beta release to the next. That is NOT the target nor plan of the formal release.

As a developer of enterprise class software, I have enough problems with maintainence of official releases, concurrent development, client support, feture requests, planning ....

to even think about handling the nightmare of multiple beta releases and automatic upgrades to the formal release.

Are you willing to have the formal product release delayed weeks/months (nothing is free) while developer and QA resources are distracted from the RTM goal?

Thats the accepted role of a beta user: Its buggy, and will need to be replaced in the near future. Don't like it? Don't install it. Don't complain if/when it blows up in your face.

I would prefer to see an XP to Win7 x32 plan, but as I will be going from x32 to x64, there is no possible path for an upgrade. No loss really. I would still do a clean install, even if they provided a path.

I do plan on installing the RC, with full expectation to perform a full reinstall after the formal release.

“I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it.” Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 01:33 PM   #6
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48

so is 7077 considered the RC? Like if i have 7068, do I have to reformat/reinstall to go to 7077 or am I still good till the actual RC comes out?
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 05:37 PM   #7
Yaboze

What I do is similar to Mailman....

I use an Antec external SATA drive enclosure for this stuff. Perfect. Just hook it up, set BIOS and you're off. Unplug and set bios back and nothing lost. I don't even have to find room in my case for the "test" drive. It's just as fast.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 08:23 PM   #8
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48 View Post
so is 7077 considered the RC? Like if i have 7068, do I have to reformat/reinstall to go to 7077 or am I still good till the actual RC comes out?
You're still good.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote