Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-02, 01:42 PM   #109
jbirney

Default Re: A Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by hedrums
I still play Janes F/A-18, and it has a problem with the new drivers (Det 40), at least on my system. Water now looks, well, stupid. The water texture is messed up (big, flat areas that tile poorly), plus the radio text is superimposed on the water in huge, backwards lettering!

It looks very odd. Does anyone else here still play this sim? Have you experienced the same thing, or does it work for you?

Try changing the default setting for Anisotropic filters from x0 (which appears to be a blurry mess) to x2.

It appears that x0 is the default and its results are something like point sampling. x1 looks to be isotropic, while x2, x4 * x8 working like they should:

From Neeyik over on B3D:

http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.u...o/morrow0x.jpg
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.u...o/morrow1x.jpg
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.u...o/morrow2x.jpg
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.u...o/morrow4x.jpg
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.u...o/morrow8x.jpg
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 01:47 PM   #110
hedrums

Sadly, I'd already tried that. It did clear up the "blurry mess" on the land textures, but water was unaffected. I turned off "water shimmer" in the game to see if it helped, but it made no difference either.

I also tried moving the texel origin to center from upper left, turned on/off sharpening, etc., all with no effect on water. Sigh.

When I get home tonight, I'll methodically go through as many combinations as I can, but it sure looks like they've changed some obscure D3D semantic and messed up an older (but still great) game.

If anyone else sees the same problem (especially if you fix it), I love to know.
Old 08-29-02, 01:49 PM   #111
RAST
<>

Quote:
Originally posted by ToastGodSupreme

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableRotatePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv\Device0]
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplCpqConfiguration"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=hex:01,00,00,00
Sweet!!

For anyone that's curious you can simply copy & paste that code into notepad and save it as a *.reg file (I call mine Coolbits.reg) then double-click on it. You'll get a pop-up message and you're ready to go.

Saves you from having to edit the registry manually and look up all those cryptic keys.

Thanks T_G_S! You're awsome!
RAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 02:00 PM   #112
Brimstone7

Just installed the drivers and ran 3DMark2001SE. There was no 1000 point performance jump; my score went up "only" 600 points (from ~8200 to 8760). My framerate for the first 3 tests was almost exactly the same as it was with the previous detonators, but the Nature test ran between 20-40fps faster. I assume the tests with DX8.1 features received the largest boost from the new drivers. Haven't had a chance to try any games, though.

I thought that nvidia's previous drivers were squeezing every last bit of power from my GeForce4, but I guess not. Very impressive to say the least.
Old 08-29-02, 02:01 PM   #113
kill`em`all

Quote:
Originally posted by d1rX

looks like chipsets to me
Intel, VIA, nforce
Yep I gathered that

But what EXACTLY do they do?

Aynone with the technical know how care to explain
Old 08-29-02, 02:03 PM   #114
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

yeah thx TGS!
I put it in a reg file for all you lazy bums...DL here:
OH, rename the .txt file to .reg, then run it! koo!
Attached Files
File Type: txt nv.txt (338 Bytes, 402 views)
Old 08-29-02, 02:05 PM   #115
slidey

Quote:
ToastGodSupreme, I spoke to soon. Your still the man but the overides aren't working. I now have the option in the the control panel and have changed the settings but my monitor still reports 60Hz for every setting. Should that be all I have to do or is there something else?
Rattattattat, if you are running an OpenGL game it is my understanding the settings would not work - they are only for Direct3d. Can anyone confirm this?
slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 02:12 PM   #116
cmsmith

Before everyone hops on the "OMG!! these are awesome" bandwagons, you need to really use these drivers. It appears that Nvidia is up to their old tricks here. To get the higher framerates, they are.... <drum roll>... dropping frames again!!! The smoothness of the display compared to the previous drivers is shocking to say the least.

Also, someone touched on this earlier but the IQ is dropping and has steadily continued to drop. If you take screenshots of games using pre-29.xx series drivers (older the driver, the better) and compare them to the newest drivers, you'll a fair amount of difference in the Anti-Aliasing (Quincunx) quality. This is another way they are "improving" performance.

Before anyone gets too rosy a picture, you need to head to the Nvidia Newsgroup and read up on what's happening. People are having big time problems with these drivers.

Hey NvNews, instead of being a fanboy site, how about doing a real review for once?

Last edited by cmsmith; 08-29-02 at 02:24 PM.
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-02, 02:27 PM   #117
Zarich

confirmed.. fix does not work for opengl
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 02:40 PM   #118
sebazve

Thumbs down

so it seems that IQ sucks. What about Aniso performance and the multitexturing thingy with aniso enable.

sebazve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 02:40 PM   #119
ToastGodSupreme

Send a message via AIM to ToastGodSupreme

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarich
confirmed.. fix does not work for opengl
hence the refresh rate fix settings to be located in the D3D area... not to be an ass, but it's quite obvious that since it's not in a system area, but instead, renderer-specific area, that it would apply to that specific renderer
ToastGodSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 02:40 PM   #120
JonathanM
Crazy Canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by cmsmith
Hey NvNews, instead of being a fanboy site, how about doing a real review for once?
LOL This guy cracks me up.