Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-30-02, 10:59 AM   #169
cmsmith

Somebody earlier made a comment that the new control panel looked like 3dfx's. I owned a v5500 then they went out of business. I since moved to a Geforce 3 then onto a Geforce 4 (would've waited for a 9700 Pro if I'd known it was comming out, oh well...). I don't recall the 3dfx control panel looking like that mess (having the options hanging off the sides like that is a mistake, IMO). However, it's been a while so maybe my memory is off a bit? C-ya!
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:00 AM   #170
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by cmsmith
Ignorant fanboy?! You idiot, I'm not the one who puts up an Nvidia website and reposts Nvidia PR releases as news items. Yeah, I'm a fanboy. <snicker>

How about making a useful and intelligent (notice the correct spelling...) post for once?

You've obviously never worked for any sort of news organization. NVIDIA releasing any new driver set is news no matter how you look at it. Rage3D and any other video card site does the exact same thing.

So take a hike junior.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:02 AM   #171
volt

On a final note I'm a bit disappointed with those drivers. Though WHQL is still pending nvidia should not release them just to battle 9700. Obviously that's what they thought they would do: boost your scores in 3D Mark. If you look at other sites everyone brags that they got 48922333++++ point increase in 3D Mark. I could care less because they don't perform in GAMES.
I played GTA3, Mafia and SOF2 and seen no performance at all. Someone even pointed out to me on other board that I should try Aquanox and Morrowind because this set of drivers improves pixel shader performance (where does it say that?). I will check that. Anyway those scores in 3D Mark look fishy. In my opinion those drivers were optimized for 3D Mark, and since "everyone" bases their opinion on that benchmark they thought they could get away with it . Yea they give you flashy new features but that does make them perform better? Not at all. I'm a bit confused here with nvidia. They are either trying to battle 9700 in 3D Mark or simply this set didn't come out "right". My 2 cents
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:04 AM   #172
cmsmith

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

You've obviously never worked for any sort of news organization. NVIDIA releasing any new driver set is news no matter how you look at it. Rage3D and any other video card site does the exact same thing.

So take a hike junior.
You totally missed the point of the post. Satire and reflection seems to be totally lost on this group...
Old 08-30-02, 11:07 AM   #173
volt

cmsmith: you might want to tone down on your comments.

Saturn: so how was your GTA performance ?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 08-30-02, 11:07 AM   #174
cmsmith

Quote:
Originally posted by d1rX
On a final note I'm a bit disappointed with those drivers. Though WHQL is still pending nvidia should not release them just to battle 9700. Obviously that's what they thought they would do: boost your scores in 3D Mark. If you look at other sites everyone brags that they got 48922333++++ point increase in 3D Mark. I could care less because they don't perform in GAMES.
I played GTA3, Mafia and SOF2 and seen no performance at all. Someone even pointed out to me on other board that I should try Aquanox and Morrowind because this set of drivers improves pixel shader performance (where does it say that?). I will check that. Anyway those scores in 3D Mark look fishy. In my opinion those drivers were optimized for 3D Mark, and since "everyone" bases their opinion on that benchmark they thought they could get away with it . Yea they give you flashy new features but that does make them perform better? Not at all. I'm a bit confused here with nvidia. They are either trying to battle 9700 in 3D Mark or simply this set didn't come out "right". My 2 cents
Indeed. I was about to post that the one consistent places that this driver performed well in was 3dmark and it looked "fishy". However, in the newsgroup several people are reporting they can't make it all the way through this benchmark so I held back. Apparently the driver is buggier than I thought.
Old 08-30-02, 11:08 AM   #175
cmsmith

I have no need to tone down my comments. I haven't attacked anyone any more directly than I've been attacked and my comments have been held in check.
Old 08-30-02, 11:12 AM   #176
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by cmsmith

You totally missed the point of the post. Satire and reflection seems to be totally lost on this group...
Well it sure as hell didn't sound like sarcasm to many of us.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-02, 11:14 AM   #177
pelly

Quote:
You idiot, I'm not the one who puts up an Nvidia website and reposts Nvidia PR releases as news items.
What a waste of space ( in between his ears )...
I just want to say thank you for boosting my self-esteem this morning...Reading your posts makes me chuckle and lets me know that no matter how bad my day may be, I will never be as miserable as someone else ( take a wild guess ). Despite the sheer joy I receive when I read your posts, I must ask you to post your thoughts in another thread. All posts here should pertain to the subject of these new drivers...

On a subject more related to this topic, has anyone tried playing around with the "hidden functionality" keys Typedef referenced on the front page?
pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:16 AM   #178
cmsmith

At any rate...

Has Nvidia ever so publicly put up what they call Beta drivers before?! They are saying these are beta up front. I know that Nvidia has released some drivers and then put some WHQL version up afterward. 30.82 comes to mind. I think they at least thought those were final versions of the driver though. I don't recall them putting up obviously beta drivers and letting everyone know before hand. Just something I noticed...
Old 08-30-02, 11:17 AM   #179
volt

I have played with those, but they dont actually boost the performance. I get a serious slowdowns in GTA3 when aniso slider is at 4

Old 08-30-02, 11:17 AM   #180
ToastGodSupreme

Send a message via AIM to ToastGodSupreme

So sad that it's come to this. Nvidia releasing these just for 3dmark. Personally, in games, I noticed no difference in performance.

On the upside, it seems Nvidia is listening somewhat by giving us the refresh rate fix built in now (too bad not for OGL).

Basically, I had one game that just wouldn't run with them (my Freedom Force issue), and the rest ran like they had before the update. Hopefully once they go through WHQL they'll be fixed up and whatnot. Though, with all the problems these are having, I'm betting that they'll be stuck repairing these half-assed drivers for quite some time.
ToastGodSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote