Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-30-02, 11:19 AM   #181
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by cmsmith
At any rate...

Has Nvidia ever so publicly put up what they call Beta drivers before?! They are saying these are beta up front. I know that Nvidia has released some drivers and then put some WHQL version up afterward. 30.82 comes to mind. I think they at least thought those were final versions of the driver though. I don't recall them putting up obviously beta drivers and letting everyone know before hand. Just something I noticed...
I gotta agree here. I don't remember them putting betas online. Though WHQL is still pending I think we will see another set of these soon. I don't understand nvidia's politics with this one ;/
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:19 AM   #182
Typedef Enum

I've got to believe that defaulting to a Aniso. level of 0 was a mistake...There doesn't seem to be any difference at all, as far as performance goes, from 0 -> 1. It's not as if this one setting provided a massive boost in performance.

Of course, I'm curious why it's even in there to begin with, but that's a different story altogether.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:23 AM   #183
cmsmith

Quote:
Originally posted by ToastGodSupreme

On the upside, it seems Nvidia is listening somewhat by giving us the refresh rate fix built in now (too bad not for OGL).
It is nice they did that. However, on a somewhat related but yet different topic:

I could've sworn I read somewhere that MS was going to fix this in Service Pack 1 for WinXP. Is this not going to be true? Why then is Nvidia doing this?
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:27 AM   #184
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by d1rX
Saturn: so how was your GTA performance ?
I was able to play the game smoothly at 1024x768 with quincux AA and 2x aniso, which is not something I could claim with previous driver sets. However, I experienced problems with flashing textures and other small visual anomalies that were enough to ruin my playing experience and revert back to the 30.30 drivers.

And cmsmith - you're the one who made first comments. You can't expect to become a member on this forum, make the kind of comments you did and expect to be given any kind of respect. We don't condone fanboyism, but at the same we don't appreciate anyone coming in and making comments about nV staff like you did and we will stick up for them. Your first comment provided no constructive feedback. Perhaps you could have provided us with a link to your "NVIDIA newsgroup" so we might be able to look at the comments there?

But as I'm looking, your most recent comments have been very constructive and if you had posted those in the first place, we wouldn't even need to discuss this.

Last edited by saturnotaku; 08-30-02 at 11:29 AM.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:32 AM   #185
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I was able to play the game smoothly at 1024x768 with quincux AA and 2x aniso, which is not something I could claim with previous driver sets. However, I experienced problems with flashing textures and other small visual anomalies that were enough to ruin my playing experience and revert back to the 30.30 drivers.
I think it has to do with the aniso slider, as the textures look pretty weird after you go over 1x
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 08-30-02, 11:32 AM   #186
JonathanM
Crazy Canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Typedef Enum
I've got to believe that defaulting to a Aniso. level of 0 was a mistake...There doesn't seem to be any difference at all, as far as performance goes, from 0 -> 1. It's not as if this one setting provided a massive boost in performance.

Of course, I'm curious why it's even in there to begin with, but that's a different story altogether.
I recall seeing the point-sprites filtering option in NVmax way back... so it's been in there, just not as the default filtering method. (As is the case now). And yes, when I chose that method it did provide a performance boost. How much? I don't quite recall...

Anyways, i'd love to know why it's the deault setting now though. It looks like utter crap as displayed here.
Old 08-30-02, 11:33 AM   #187
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by d1rX
I don't understand nvidia's politics with this one ;/
This has to be 9700 related because many online retailers are getting this card en masse and shipping them out to eager consumers who have been waiting for this card that I think will prove to be ATI's salvation.

There's no other rational explanation I can think of.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:33 AM   #188
pelly

Quote:
But as I'm looking, your most recent comments have been very constructive and if you had posted those in the first place, we wouldn't even need to discuss this.
Exactly.....

Thank you for the useful insight in your more rescent posts...

Could we have a link for that newsgroup? It sounds as though there's some good information to be had in there...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-02, 11:40 AM   #189
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

This has to be 9700 related because many online retailers are getting this card en masse and shipping them out to eager consumers who have been waiting for this card that I think will prove to be ATI's salvation.

There's no other rational explanation I can think of.
That's what I'm thinking, but they never done that before.
By the way, take a look at this:

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/4...eatures_10.pdf

Adobe Acrobat Reader format
(Release 40 Features Bulletin)

Interesting read...

EDIT: werid that link doesnt work anymore

Last edited by volt; 08-30-02 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-30-02, 11:46 AM   #190
Fluke

Funny you all base you finding on what someone says. They weren't released for better marks in 3DMark. They were released to allow us to have fun with new features on the card and improvements in overall driver functionality.

Amazing that what one person says everyone bases their opinions on it. 3DMark is just some homo that came up with a bunch of demo's which test features most of us don't even enable in games and a point system completely derrived from someones imagination. I have better things to do than use someones interpretation of speed and performance to rate my drivers. I play games, if they are smooth when I play I'm happy. All you need is 30+ FPS and after that, who cares.

For me the drivers have improved my speed/smoothness in general and at the same time I have extra options to play with and tweak.

WHQL is a bunch of BS anyhow.. MS propaganda that means zip. You think they sit there and test every game?!? LOL. Some homo with a big salary at MS sits there, installs them, if it works they pass.

Wake up people and quit arguing and complaining with each other, you all look like fools. Want to argue, get off this board and meet in person and then argue.
Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 11:49 AM   #191
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Fluke
Funny you all base you finding on what someone says. They weren't released for better marks in 3DMark. They were released to allow us to have fun with new features on the card and improvements in overall driver functionality.

Amazing that what one person says everyone bases their opinions on it. 3DMark is just some homo that came up with a bunch of demo's which test features most of us don't even enable in games and a point system completely derrived from someones imagination. I have better things to do than use someones interpretation of speed and performance to rate my drivers. I play games, if they are smooth when I play I'm happy. All you need is 30+ FPS and after that, who cares.

For me the drivers have improved my speed/smoothness in general and at the same time I have extra options to play with and tweak.

WHQL is a bunch of BS anyhow.. MS propaganda that means zip. You think they sit there and test every game?!? LOL. Some homo with a big salary at MS sits there, installs them, if it works they pass.

Wake up people and quit arguing and complaining with each other, you all look like fools. Want to argue, get off this board and meet in person and then argue.
huh?
dude that's what the forums are for, and if you don't like it take a hike okay ?

Old 08-30-02, 12:02 PM   #192
crawdady

Default NVQTWK.DILL Bug

Anyone got a fix for this.Tried clean install,det.destroyer.No luck.

XP home edition
Gainward G3TI200