Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-30-02, 01:36 PM   #205
Cotita
Nvidia God

my 2 cents

just installed the 40.41 in my geforce 3 ti200 and my brothers ti4600. (Actually I switched the boards so the ti4600 is in my rig hehehee.)

Anyway, ti 200 freezes in 3dmark2001 seconds after it starts, in any test.

The ti4600 on the other hand runs great, although when I first tried 3dmark2001 it went back to desktop when it was in lobby hi detail, and then there were some glitches in the nature test.

I reinstalled the drivers and I've seen no glitches now on the ti4600 but the ti200 still freezes.

Both pcs have clean XP installs. Only the ti200 had 30.82 previously installed but I uninstalled it before upgrading to 40.41 and I see no traces of older drivers.

On a side note. It seems that Aniso 0/point sampling now increases performance significantly (about 150 points) albeit with lower IQ, in 30.82 and earlier, forcing point sampling didn't increase performance more than 50 points in 3dmark2001

One more thing, maybe its just me but somehow I see something different in the nature test, the water looks different than previous drivers.

[edit my card is a ti200 not a ti4200 (I wish).]

Last edited by Cotita; 08-30-02 at 01:58 PM.
Cotita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 01:39 PM   #206
pelly

Strange....have you tried putting the 4200 back in your system to try it?
pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 01:39 PM   #207
Zarich

why would you waste your time doing it yourself when refresh force goes in and hacks the registry for you.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 01:56 PM   #208
Cotita
Nvidia God

Its a ti200 and no I haven't tried it in mine yet.

I'm waiting until the inevitable time when I have to give my brother back his ti4600 hehehe
Old 08-30-02, 01:56 PM   #209
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Fluke

Your name is appropriate but it should be singular to better match just "yourself".

Man is school still out??
You still talking ? If you have problems with me then use the PM system.

Let me tell you again then. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you have no valid argument to tell us that we are simply fools because you don't happen to like our comments.

"Wake up people and quit arguing and complaining with each other, you all look like fools. Want to argue, get off this board and meet in person and then argue"

Again forums are exactly for that...arguing, and you can't do a damn thing about it.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 02:00 PM   #210
Morpheus

Default I thought....

that i made myself clear enough in my original question, to avoid replies like the above, but I guess where there is a will there is always a way, TO WAIST MY TIME!

And if you must know, Refresh Lock was released long before Nvidia switched to this new method of registry resoltuion setup, therefore i am worried about what it really does.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 02:01 PM   #211
Cotita
Nvidia God

Default d1rx/fluke

Please don't turn this into yet another "my daddy beats your daddy" thread.
Old 08-30-02, 02:31 PM   #212
sebazve

I saw a pic at rage3d that said this:

"Arguing in the internet its like winning the special Olympics, even if you win youre still retarded"

Man this so true.

Back to topics i tried it in my sister comp (which has a GF440MX) and everything was fine (at last they put an option for aniso at Direct3D) . She is using Win200 pro, hehe my sister would kill me if she knew i was testing drivers in his comp (i dint want my comp **** up) so keep it quiet

I will try it in my comp later.

see you
sebazve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-02, 02:38 PM   #213
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sebazve
hehe my sister would kill me if she knew i was testing drivers in his comp (i dint want my comp **** up) so keep it quiet
Your sister would kill you for testing drivers in his comp?!?!

Just kidding, but I had to get you on that.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 02:43 PM   #214
eliteone

These drivers are horrible. Ya they may score higher in 3dmark2001 but in games they are the same if not alot jumpier. These drivers really wash out the colors (yellows mostly) and just make images look horrible. I wouldnt doubt nvidia is just trying to pump the 3dmark2001 points to get even with ATI.
Sapphire 9700Pro (371/648)
SB Audigy Plat Ex(modded to audigy 2)
Linksys 10/100 for cable modem
120GB WD SE & 80GB GB Maxtor
16x Pioneer slot loaded DVD
24x Plexwriter
eliteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 02:43 PM   #215
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

I have this very same question myself. I disagree it's a waste of time. I like taking control of refresh rates myself and not having to use a program to do it.

I have been modifying my own driver inf for awhile now after I learned how to do it. It was very easy to just paste in my preferred refresh rates and then install the driver. Then Presto, my refresh rates were set up to my preference and I didn't have to do anything else. Nvidia had even put out a PDF awhile back that explained how to do it perfectly but that was before they changed the way the inf was written.

Now the 40.41 comes along and I can't make heads or tails of the new driver inf. Now I'm back to having to use a program for refresh rates instead of just doing it myself (this is not even taking into consideration having to find a refresh rate program that will work with these new drivers as most of them won't) (seems these refresh rate programs have to figure out the new code as I'm trying to do).

Has anyone figured out how to modify the new inf to change refresh rates? If so, please state how.

I must be in the minority here since it appears not many do it this way anymore and just use a program to adjust refresh rates. Awhile back there was a HUGE thread on this forum on refresh rates, most of the posts related to how to change the inf. Now it seems hardly anyone is still doing it this way.

I would love to see all those guys that were posting on modifying the inf (or registry) in that monster refresh rate thread to come back with info on this.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Last edited by Mike89; 08-30-02 at 03:08 PM.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 03:10 PM   #216
cmsmith

Default Re: I thought....

Quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus
that i made myself clear enough in my original question, to avoid replies like the above, but I guess where there is a will there is always a way, TO WAIST MY TIME!

And if you must know, Refresh Lock was released long before Nvidia switched to this new method of registry resoltuion setup, therefore i am worried about what it really does.
Contrary to what a message early alluded to, refreshlock DOES NOT udpate the registry. It runs totally it memory i.e. it must run all the time, take up some memory and CPU (but not much!), and must be allowed to run on startup if you want it to keep the refresh up all the time. Other than I know it doesn't modify the registry, I'm not sure how it does what it does but it works fine.

I've been using it since BattleField 1942 Multiplayer demo came out to make the game run. THe demo wouldn't run with other refresh fixes because they all modified the registry which caused problems with the game. Since I switched to this, no problems whatsoever. C-ya!
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote