Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-02, 10:49 AM   #25
ExitWound

Send a message via AIM to ExitWound

Just an update:

Installation went fine. Ran 3DMarkSE. 4805 Marks, which is pretty close to what i had originally. However, im on a Celeron 566@953Mhz, and i KNOW i'm processor bottlenecked. However, I know that the nature test increased from 17fps to 31. Also, spikes in the Max Payne lowres went from 90fps to 118. I forgot about benchmarking before changing drivers (Doh!) but it's all good.

I do have a problem though. I seem to have 1/2 a screen. Meaning, that the Windows XP Professional: For Testing Purposes Only has been moved to halfway down the screen. All programs Maximize to halfway down the screen as well. all web browsers exibihit this behaviour as well as all windows open. Doesn't seem to affect Gaming, but it's annoying nonetheless.
I'm the Heavy Metal Thunderstriking Jesus. "
ExitWound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 10:52 AM   #26
nutball
International God of Sex

Quote:
Originally posted by Richthofen
that is what i did.

I uninstalled the previous drivers, did a reboot and after that i installed the new Detos 40.41.
But when i try to klick on advanced options in the display settings the whole panel just quits.
So i uninstalled the 40.41 did a reboot again and installed my old ones.

Gues what?
Now i have the same problem with my old drivers.

What the hell is that?
Any idea?
I got that problem. I uninstalled the drivers (from the Add/Remove Programs dialogue), then rebooted. When Windows tried to detect the VGA card, I told it to skip it. Then re-installed 40.41 and rebooted again (twice actually), now the control panel seems to work OK.

Well, that's what worked for me anyway.
Old 08-29-02, 11:01 AM   #27
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

I'm finally on the verge of breaking through to the 12k's with these drivers!!! All I need is 60 more 3dMarks..thats all!!!! 11940...hmm..I wonder if my baby could squeek out one more megahert on the FSB....bleh..no go..died on post...soo close yet so far away.....

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4309223
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:04 AM   #28
volt

OMG so excited lol
Finally something new from nvidii
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:04 AM   #29
MikeC
Administrator

Exclamation Control Panel Screenshots

Links to screenshots of the new control panels can be found in this thread:

http://www.beyond3d.com/~beyond3d/fo...pic.php?t=2279
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:09 AM   #30
volt

Thanks Mike. Will we see a review of some sort by the way ?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:14 AM   #31
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

Initial impressions:

Quake 3 is very, very dark. Adjusting the brightness setting, which worked on the 30.82 drivers, no longer does anything. The higher the resolution I set it, the darker it gets, and it's not due to the brightness setting on my monitor.

When I ran Quake 3 at 1280x1024, the game ran inside a tiny little window in the middle of the screen, while everything else was surrounded by black.

My nature score went from 35 fps to 41 fps.

I haven't run the entire 3dmark yet, but based on what happened with Quake 3, I don't think I'll be keeping these drivers. I'm going to try Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed in a bit, and I'll update my experience with that.

Update: Need for Speed works great, runs about the same, looking at FRAPS. Played with 2x anisotropic (1x, 2x, 4x and 8x are available), and it only ran about 8 fps less on average. I'll try 4x and 8x later.

Ran Nature demo with 2x anisotropic, and my score went from 41 fps to 33 fps.

Another update: Medal of Honor runs fine, with none of the problems I'm having with Quake 3. My Quake 3 is version 1.17, so that might have something to do with it.

Cstirke runs fine.

Here's the Quake 3 problem: (Also notice how dark it is)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quake 3 weird.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	184  

Last edited by nin_fragile14; 08-29-02 at 11:29 AM.
nin_fragile14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:14 AM   #32
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Anisotropic filtering adjustments for D3D!!!!

OMG, I about cr@pped myself after seeing that screenshot. I just downloaded the drivers onto my laptop and will be installing them on my Ti4600-enabled desktop when I get home.

Now, Azreal needs to modify these drivers so they'll work on my laptop.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-02, 11:16 AM   #33
John Reynolds

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly
Case in point, NVIDIA is the king of drivers...
A 1000 point jump is absolutely insane! I wish I wasn't at work right now...

Score increases mean nothing until IQ has been double-checked.
John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:19 AM   #34
ExitWound

Send a message via AIM to ExitWound

Anyone else seeing this? I can't fix it:

I seem to have 1/2 a screen. Meaning, that the Windows XP Professional: For Testing Purposes Only has been moved to halfway down the screen (beta WMP9). All programs Maximize to halfway down the screen as well. all web browsers exibihit this behaviour as well as all windows open. I can't stretch screens below 1/2 way down, but i can move them down there, then stretch them up. Doesn't seem to affect Gaming, but it's annoying nonetheless.
I'm the Heavy Metal Thunderstriking Jesus. "
ExitWound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:19 AM   #35
Maximill

Talking WOW!

I've just finished installing the new 40.00 and I must say WOW! a 1100 points more on 3d mark from 12070 to 13171 and I tested it 4 times! How the heck do they do it? My nature demo was running up to 112 frames a sec!! Not only that on my VULPINE openngl benchmark I was never able to get higher than 119 fps no matter how much higher I overclocked my vid card or cpu, NO WAY IT WOULD GO PAST 119 fps!!!
NOW IT PAST IT BY 14 FPS MORE NOW I GET 133 fps!!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK NVIDIA, I'm one satisfied puppy

Here's my specs
P4 2.0 @ 2.46
P4B533 MB
768 megs of ram @ 333
MSI GEFORCE 4 4600ti 326/740
HD maxtor 40 gig
HD maxtor 80 gig
Soundblaster Audigy

Last edited by Maximill; 08-29-02 at 12:57 PM.
Maximill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:21 AM   #36
pelly

IQ hasn't really been an issue as of late, as NVIDIA has really come on-track and is on par with their competition.......I'd be surprised to see NVIDIA release a driver with decreases in performance.

Score increases mean ( to me ) that I am getting extra mileage out of my purchase. Essentially, you are getting a free upgrade.

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote