Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-02, 10:44 AM   #49
JonathanM
Crazy Canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly
Let me address this current trend of dismissing 3dMark...Personally, I do not live by benchmark numbers and I do not brag to everyone about my scores. However, I do feel that they represent solid information regarding the performance of my system.

Here, I can witness the weight each component has upon the overall system performance. ( ie: CPU scaling and/or differences between graphic cards )

If there is a large jump in performance in 3dMark, I think it is safe to assume that there will be a good jump in performance across the boards with games. Granted, some will be effected more than others. My point is that they generally all have performance increases.

3dMark is great when you don't have the time to fire-up half a dozen games or so and you just want to see if there are any major changes. In this case, there are and I am a happy camper because of it.

I second that. ;D
Old 08-29-02, 10:46 AM   #50
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by d1rX
Just a thought. Why do people care so much about 3DMark
I think it's more a matter of convenience since 3DMark is a pretty easy benchmark to run.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 10:46 AM   #51
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

Default Re: Coolbits still works btw

Quote:
Originally posted by kill`em`all
Fire up regedt32.exe and head create a new DWORD called CoolBits under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000003

This lets you turn off VSYNC for direct3d games/applications
Thanks very much.
Old 08-29-02, 10:48 AM   #52
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

D@mn straight. I don't know about anyone else, but my OpenGL gaming performance as well as impact on GTA3 are going to be my own personal benchmarks for determining the worthiness of these drivers. And I can't wait.
Yea, I can't wait my self. I want to see HOW will GTA3 and Mafia perform after applying new drivers. Should be interesting.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 10:48 AM   #53
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
I think it's more a matter of convenience since 3DMark is a pretty easy benchmark to run.
Also, don't discount name recognition and the fact that soooo many hardware sites use it as a gold standard, so to speak.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 10:49 AM   #54
jackmaninov

I've just installed the Det 40's on my system with a Geforce2 Pro, and I can't set refresh rates above 85Hz anymore. They are available, but, for example, if I select 100Hz as a refresh rate, I still get 85Hz.

This is annoying!
Old 08-29-02, 10:50 AM   #55
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by jackmaninov
I've just installed the Det 40's on my system with a Geforce2 Pro, and I can't set refresh rates above 85Hz anymore. They are available, but, for example, if I select 100Hz as a refresh rate, I still get 85Hz.
Are you using Refresh Force or RivaTuner to make your adjustments or are you using the standard Windows refresh rate selection system through advanced display properties?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 10:57 AM   #56
Richthofen

"
IMPORTANT

It is strongly recommended to uninstall previous versions of the Detonator Drivers, reboot, and then do a clean install.

This helps eliminate many of the problems some users are experiencing with the new 40.41 drivers such as:
- ultra-high monitor refresh rates becoming available,
- problems accessing the nVidia tab in the advanced Display Properties control panel,
- problems relating to nView settings, etc.

Cheers,

-- Jeex
"

Damn that is what i did but guess what i cant get into the Nvidia Driver Control Panels anymore.
If i try that the display properties just quit.
And i do not have this problem only with the new drivers - i have it now with older drivers too.
What the **** is going on?
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-02, 11:02 AM   #57
Sinisterz

Default wow

Anyways without uninstalling 31.00 drivers, I just simply installed the 40.41 drivers over the 31.00 drivers and the results were amazing!!

There is a new option in your antialiasing menu to turn on Texture Sharpening which i saw a difference and a noticable performance hit but still, with it on i got 40 fps for nature and w/o it around 65 FPS on nature test!! Also everything else such as rtcw or sof2 I gained over 10 FPS

These drivers are sweet!! get them now!
Abit Siluro Geforce 4 ti4200 64mb
Western Digital Caviar 40gb 7200rpm ata100
Windows XP Professional
Sinisterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:08 AM   #58
Radiator
FX-5900

Default Quake3...

Just installed..

I'm seeing the dark Q3 problem (v 1.31) ... and 3Dmark now exits to desktop 2/3's the way through the tests.. (on point sprites I think but will need to check)..

Using a GeForce DDR on a dually 1ghz PIII, Win2K... haven't tried with the Geforce3 yet... (and yes, I did uninstall, reboot and install)...
Radiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:09 AM   #59
Richthofen

texture sharpining is somewhat 2* Aniso.
This Option was available in Rivatuner for months now.

And now this stupid control panel works
I don't know what i did but now it works just fine.

3DMark scores increased 800 to 1000 points.
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 11:14 AM   #60
OWA

Agree with those suggesting to remove previous drivers first. I didn't but then had to before things worked correctly.

About an 800 pt. increase in 3DMark 2001SE.

I think someone mentioned things being too dark and I'm having that problem as well. I haven't tried to correct that yet though.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote