Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-08, 02:09 PM   #1
jafar

Unhappy Integrated Geforce 8200: X CPU hog on video playback, slow 2d w/ 177.80

Hey, all --

I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this problem. I have a brand new Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H, which has the shiny new Geforce 8200 chipset and GPU.

I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04.1 on it, since it's a MythTV box. I had to grab the newer envy drivers (173.14.12) just to get the thing working at all, but that was easy.

My biggest problem is that when I play back video with Myth, and "Sync to vblank" turned on in the Nvidia control panel, the X server's CPU usage shoots up to 70-90%, which is not good. I've solved similar problems before by adding Option "UseEvents" "True" to my xorg.conf, but that doesn't seem to be helping me with this new chipset.

Am I alone?

Last edited by jafar; 10-17-08 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Edit title to reflect new issues
jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 02:13 PM   #2
harpax

Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Did you confirm Myth is using XvMC? Also, you might try the 177.x drivers (assuming you can get them to work) and see if that helps.
harpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 03:38 PM   #3
jafar

Myth is not using XvMC, it's using the regular Xv blitter and software decoding. I understand that XvMC is not supported on 8000-series GPUs.

Edit: I'd love to try the 177.x drivers, and I would if I had clean way of (un)installing them. I don't want to bork the family TV on risky drivers.

Last edited by jafar; 10-01-08 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Forgot about the driver suggestion
Old 10-07-08, 10:43 PM   #4
bigtoedsloth

You're not alone.
I'd be interested in your solution if you find one. I'm patiently waiting and crossing my fingers that one day a driver update will fix the issue.
bigtoedsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 10:53 AM   #5
jafar

I'm now anxious to see if the 178.xx series will fix these problems! Intrepid Ibex is mere days away...I hope they sneak the new driver in before release.
Old 10-09-08, 05:31 AM   #6
bigtoedsloth

No joy for me with 177.80.
I have a discrete card, BTW, an 8500GT.
Old 10-09-08, 09:52 AM   #7
jafar

That's bad news, bigtoedsloth. What problems exactly are you seeing? The video playback + sync to vblank = high X CPU issue?
Old 10-09-08, 08:34 PM   #8
bigtoedsloth

To get tear-free video in mythtv I need either the sync-to-vblank on in nvidia-settings or in mythtv (or both, I suppose), but then I get this Xorg CPU hogging issue. It appears after a while watching a recording or live TV - regardless of the broadcast resolution. Despite the CPU use I don't get any stuttering or lost frames. I'm quite happy with the smoothness of the playback, which is why I've chosen to ignore the problem and hope it goes away.

I haven't actually tried running without either sync-to-vblank option (and trying to ignore the tearing) to see if the Xorg CPU issue goes away. I also haven't tried mplayer on a recording to see if it produces the same issue.

Given that there doesn't seem to be anyone else around that shares this problem I'd be equally interested to hear from someone that DOESN'T have this problem to see what the differences are between a working system and the setup that jafar and I have.

Old 10-13-08, 10:46 AM   #9
Puh

Hello,

I'm also seeing this integrated GF8200 cpu hogging problem on Mythbuntu 8.04.1 with bob deinterlacer and 50Hz frame rate. This is on Asus M3N78-EMH HDMI.

The playback starts smoothly with xorg cpu usage around or under 5%. After a couple of minutes the xorg cpu usage shoots up and it may hover around 50% or 80% for a while but in the end it always goes up to 99%. Using 25Hz frame rate and some deinterlacer that doesn't double the video frame rate gives playback without cpu hogging, but the quality sucks when compared to bob.

I really really really do hope that this gets fixed soon. If I can provide any extra information to help NVidia developers I'd be happy to do so, just ask.

//Puh
Puh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 10:54 AM   #10
pe1chl

I think the driver uses a spinlock for vsync by default.
It should be possible to change this by putting this in de Section "Device":
Option "UseEvents" "True"
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 11:23 AM   #11
Puh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post
I think the driver uses a spinlock for vsync by default.
It should be possible to change this by putting this in de Section "Device":
Option "UseEvents" "True"
I've tried every trick & treat I've found on these forums and elsewhere. I do have the UseEvents set to True but the xorg still hogs cpu. I forgot to tell that for my board and setup the latest 177.x drivers seem to break sound and therefore I'm stuck with 177.13 driver. The 177.67 and 177.80 drivers just don't give any sound via spdif and I've been unable to ever get any sound via HDMI. I'd be perfectly happy with spdif sound and smooth HDMI video without cpu hogging if I just knew a way to make it work.

//Puh
Puh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 12:21 AM   #12
jafar

Thumbs down Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

This is bad.

I've just upgraded to Intrepid, with the latest 177.80 drivers, and now I have not only the X CPU hogging issue, but also amazingly slow 2D graphics. I can't say if this is the driver's fault or something else about Intrepid.

Option "UseEvents" "True" worked for my old 5200, but doesn't help the X CPU hogging wtih my 8200. Seems like the 8200 is basically broken at this point.