Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-09, 12:44 PM   #1
Seelenfeuer

Default 173xx-drivers and RealTime-patchset

Hi there!

I've just installed a new kernel (2.6.29) together with the rt-patchset (can be found on kernel.org in the kernel/projects/rt repository). Since than the nvidia-driver fails to compile (I have a 5500FX so I have to stick with the 173xx-series :S ).

The errormessage seems to be quite well known around here ("Unable to determine the target kernel version"), but so far I haven't found a solution (for 173xx-drivers). From what I read I think the driver should work if it would utilize the kernels build-system, but thats beyond my capabilities.

Anyway, is there even a faint hope which doesn't involve buying a new card to use the newer drivers?

Regards~
Seelenfeuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 07:12 AM   #2
eskuai

Default Re: 173xx-drivers and RealTime-patchset

Are you doing a full install ?

Try with -K parameter
eskuai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 08:28 AM   #3
Seelenfeuer

With this the installer complains about the driver missing.

I extracted the package and went to usr/src/nv/ and tried 'make module', but the error remains the same.

If I bypass the checks in conftest.sh so it just uses the Makefile.kbuild the compilation starts but fails after a short time with
Code:
error: kmem_cache_create() unavailable
(the line is actually longer but I don't have the output right now. If further output is required I can still post it). This is a little irritating as this function is definitely present in include/linux/slab.h and wasn't changed by the patch. Changing the kernel-setting from SLAB to SLUB didn't change anything.

I tried compiling the driver with an active, unpatched kernel, too (it worked) and using it with the patched kernel, but modprobe complains about an invalid module format and if I try to force it with modprobe -f (doesn't work, too) I get complains about undefined symbols in dmesg...

For now I use the unpatched kernel, but that's not the solution I hoped for =\

Regards
Seelenfeuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 09:04 AM   #4
Fackamato
User

I could get 185.19 to work with the -rt6 patch (didn't try -rt7), I had to keep the directory where I compiled the kernel, and point the nvidia package to that. ( --with-kernel-source=... I think)
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote