Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-09-09, 02:25 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Borderlands Now Cel Shaded?

Back when we saw Borderlands in December 2007, the sci-fi open world shooter looked gritty and rugged. Word has it that the game now looks cartoony.

The game was originally slated for a holiday 2008 release, but was pushed back to this year. Last holiday, a Borderlands tester twittered about the game, writing, "...Borderlands, still a year out from release. not bad, but needs some work. reminds me of Crackdown a little." That tester was promptly fired.

Hrm that test could have meant that the game is like Crackdown in that players can level up their characters. Or maybe, it's like Crackdown in that the game now uses cel-shading. Cel-shade animation makes rendering appear hand drawn (see reference photo). Apparently, in an upcoming issue of PC Gamer, Borderlands developer talks about how the game. A supposedly leaked page of the article shows the new comic book look with the caption: "Looks like a panel from a comic book. It's, in fact, a screenshot."

In a post on the Gearbox forums, community manager Ennui writes, "We do care about all our fans, no doubt, and the decision to alter the art style was assuredly not one taken or made lightly... Though there's always the chance some people could be turned off by the style, it was decided that, overall, it fits the game and creates a more visually interesting experience."

Gearbox adds that this new look retains detail and style that's usually lost during the move from concept art to 3D. ""The entire world has life to it, from the creatures to the very rocks and dirty walls," Ennui continues. "The game world is no less gritty, dirty, or harsh all of the detail is there, and the environments have even more atmosphere. We solicited feedback from our focus testing initiative, which consists entirely of a very large pool of gamers from all walks of life, and in the end, the choice was clear for us."

http://kotaku.com/5204893/borderlands-now-cel+shaded
Old 04-09-09, 02:38 PM   #2
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Default Re: Borderlands Now Cel Shaded?

I'm not a huge fan of cel shaded but if it is well done and everything what gearbox said, then it will look great. i'm going to hold my judgement until i see screenshots. i'm looking forward to this and rage.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 03:18 PM   #3
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Here it is... doesn't look that bad, really. I bet they did this to stand out from Prototype, Infamous and the 100 other similar games coming out. Someone on Blue's News said it will take PC resolutions for it to look good, which makes some sense.

I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 03:39 PM   #4
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

If it plays or looks like Crackdown that is fine with me... I had a great deal of fun playing that game. And those screens Narc posted look pretty good to me, hopefully the gameplay doesn't suck.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 03:50 PM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
If it plays or looks like Crackdown that is fine with me... I had a great deal of fun playing that game. And those screens Narc posted look pretty good to me, hopefully the gameplay doesn't suck.
crackdown was sooo fun to play
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 03:58 PM   #6
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I didn't like Crackdown at all, but I did like the look of it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 04-09-09, 03:58 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
If it plays or looks like Crackdown that is fine with me...
i hope not
Old 04-09-09, 03:59 PM   #8
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

XIII was one of the most fun games I ever played. Wish we had more.

And TF2 when it came out looked to me like the future of cell-shaded graphics (it's pretty close)
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-09, 04:26 PM   #9
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
i hope not
Did you actually even try it, or was it just on console, so you hate it by default?
Old 04-09-09, 04:39 PM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

tried it, btw last time i checked i have 360.
Old 04-09-09, 04:40 PM   #11
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I have a Wii, doesn't mean I don't hate it.
Old 04-09-09, 04:53 PM   #12
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Did you actually even try it, or was it just on console, so you hate it by default?
The game was mostly terrible. No mission structure at all really, just shoot goons until you reach a goon with more health, then shoot them until they die. Since it used a lock-on system, it didn't even take skill or effort to shoot them.

Best part of the game was jumping and throwing stuff... if they had made the missions more varied and interesting... as in at all interesting... it could have been an amazing game.