Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-09, 07:47 PM   #13
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
NarcissistZero: I feel dumb asking this, but how did you obtain those icons? Are you making them yourself? If so, how? Thanks..
Just download a free icon conversion program from some place like download.com. I use Icon Workshop. It should convert and jpeg or png or bitmap into an ico file, which you can then use.
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 11:32 PM   #14
sharvin
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: brisbane
Posts: 271
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
All those boxshots are reversed... Should be the other way around. Open from the right, not the left...
they are probably asian versions, in asia they open from the left just the as the books are read from right to left.

Nice work by the way
sharvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 12:42 AM   #15
Phyxion
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 544
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
yap, when retail is 10-15 bucks cheaper then steam, of course
Can't really be bothered with that, not needing a CD/DVD anyone is just pure awesomeness.
__________________
Creator of Driver Sweeper
Phyxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 10:38 AM   #16
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxion View Post
Can't really be bothered with that, not needing a CD/DVD anyone is just pure awesomeness.
No-disc patches/exes exist for pretty much every game ever made.

My main problem with Steam is that a lot of times you are more limited in what you can do with your game then you would be otherwise. For instance, you cannot rename the .exe, you cannot apply certain mods or hacks sometimes, some games lack certain features (HAWX in DX10, Crysis 64bit) and not only can't you sell games, which is ok by me, but you can't even give them away. On top of all that Steam's communication with its users and the timeliness of its patch releases and such need a LOT of work.

I was a Steam fanboy for years but I think I reached the breaking point. I still buy download-only games like Braid through there, but everything else has been retail for me lately.
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 11:56 AM   #17
Zhivago
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 184
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
No-disc patches/exes exist for pretty much every game ever made.

My main problem with Steam is that a lot of times you are more limited in what you can do with your game then you would be otherwise. For instance, you cannot rename the .exe, you cannot apply certain mods or hacks sometimes, some games lack certain features (HAWX in DX10, Crysis 64bit) and not only can't you sell games, which is ok by me, but you can't even give them away. On top of all that Steam's communication with its users and the timeliness of its patch releases and such need a LOT of work.

I was a Steam fanboy for years but I think I reached the breaking point. I still buy download-only games like Braid through there, but everything else has been retail for me lately.
All good points -- There is just something nice about buying a new boxed copy and having something you can actually touch for your 50$.

I do think that if Steam can manage to stop piracy without the need for DRM it will be the greatest thing for PC gaming in a long time. I remain skeptical though, for obvious reasons.
Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 06:22 PM   #18
delas52
:::::::::::::::::
 
delas52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 517
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I actually just started using game boxes as my icons in my game's folder... I just use the straight-up box shots though, I don't see a need for putting them in virtual sleeves like this. I started using a dedicated games folder when I found many games would not launch properly through Steam (and Steam is buggy about renaming shortcuts as well).

It's not done yet, but here's how it looks...
any idea how to get the shortcuts to have a full sized icon. here is an example (on the UT3 icon specifically):




EDIT: nvm, seems the .png/.ico file has to be closer to the 256 width than i had.
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 11:10 PM   #19
Lfctony
Registered User
 
Lfctony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Larnaca, Cyprus
Posts: 4,152
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharvin View Post
they are probably asian versions, in asia they open from the left just the as the books are read from right to left.

Nice work by the way
My Asian PS3 games still open from the right...
__________________
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-09, 11:04 AM   #20
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by delas52 View Post
any idea how to get the shortcuts to have a full sized icon. here is an example (on the UT3 icon specifically):




EDIT: nvm, seems the file has to be closer to the 256 width than i had.
No, if I'm getting you correctly, what you want to do is put the games 'box art' for the Games Explorer menu. Here are some instructions on how to do it, including where to get the box art: http://howto.jamescarnley.com/2007/0...sta-games.html
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-09, 11:53 AM   #21
delas52
:::::::::::::::::
 
delas52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 517
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
No, if I'm getting you correctly, what you want to do is put the games 'box art' for the Games Explorer menu. Here are some instructions on how to do it, including where to get the box art: http://howto.jamescarnley.com/2007/0...sta-games.html
no im not using the games explorer folder. im not using the box art either. ive got it how i want it now, ill upload a ss tomorrow when im back at my pc

Edit: how it looks now


Last edited by delas52; 04-26-09 at 03:05 PM.
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Kotaku) Do We Really Need Video Game Consoles Anymore? [Speak Up On Kotaku] News Archived News Items 1 06-16-12 11:35 AM
Saturday Crapshoot: Quest For Glory 4 1/2 News Gaming Headlines 0 06-09-12 11:10 AM
Remastered Doom 3 BFG Edition Game Coming with Stereo 3D Support News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 05:30 AM
Saturday Crapshoot: Star Trek: The Next Generation News Archived News Items 0 05-12-12 12:00 PM
PC Games, CeleronII 566, CeleronA 300, BIOS Savior, Heatsinks, NES & Sega Items +pics TekViper For Sale/Trade 5 08-07-02 10:48 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.