Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-09, 07:47 PM   #13
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: PC Game Box 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
NarcissistZero: I feel dumb asking this, but how did you obtain those icons? Are you making them yourself? If so, how? Thanks..
Just download a free icon conversion program from some place like download.com. I use Icon Workshop. It should convert and jpeg or png or bitmap into an ico file, which you can then use.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 11:32 PM   #14
sharvin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
All those boxshots are reversed... Should be the other way around. Open from the right, not the left...
they are probably asian versions, in asia they open from the left just the as the books are read from right to left.

Nice work by the way
sharvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 12:42 AM   #15
Phyxion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
yap, when retail is 10-15 bucks cheaper then steam, of course
Can't really be bothered with that, not needing a CD/DVD anyone is just pure awesomeness.
Old 04-16-09, 10:38 AM   #16
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxion View Post
Can't really be bothered with that, not needing a CD/DVD anyone is just pure awesomeness.
No-disc patches/exes exist for pretty much every game ever made.

My main problem with Steam is that a lot of times you are more limited in what you can do with your game then you would be otherwise. For instance, you cannot rename the .exe, you cannot apply certain mods or hacks sometimes, some games lack certain features (HAWX in DX10, Crysis 64bit) and not only can't you sell games, which is ok by me, but you can't even give them away. On top of all that Steam's communication with its users and the timeliness of its patch releases and such need a LOT of work.

I was a Steam fanboy for years but I think I reached the breaking point. I still buy download-only games like Braid through there, but everything else has been retail for me lately.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 11:56 AM   #17
Zhivago
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
No-disc patches/exes exist for pretty much every game ever made.

My main problem with Steam is that a lot of times you are more limited in what you can do with your game then you would be otherwise. For instance, you cannot rename the .exe, you cannot apply certain mods or hacks sometimes, some games lack certain features (HAWX in DX10, Crysis 64bit) and not only can't you sell games, which is ok by me, but you can't even give them away. On top of all that Steam's communication with its users and the timeliness of its patch releases and such need a LOT of work.

I was a Steam fanboy for years but I think I reached the breaking point. I still buy download-only games like Braid through there, but everything else has been retail for me lately.
All good points -- There is just something nice about buying a new boxed copy and having something you can actually touch for your 50$.

I do think that if Steam can manage to stop piracy without the need for DRM it will be the greatest thing for PC gaming in a long time. I remain skeptical though, for obvious reasons.
Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 06:22 PM   #18
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I actually just started using game boxes as my icons in my game's folder... I just use the straight-up box shots though, I don't see a need for putting them in virtual sleeves like this. I started using a dedicated games folder when I found many games would not launch properly through Steam (and Steam is buggy about renaming shortcuts as well).

It's not done yet, but here's how it looks...
any idea how to get the shortcuts to have a full sized icon. here is an example (on the UT3 icon specifically):

EDIT: nvm, seems the .png/.ico file has to be closer to the 256 width than i had.
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 11:10 PM   #19
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharvin View Post
they are probably asian versions, in asia they open from the left just the as the books are read from right to left.

Nice work by the way
My Asian PS3 games still open from the right...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-09, 11:04 AM   #20
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by delas52 View Post
any idea how to get the shortcuts to have a full sized icon. here is an example (on the UT3 icon specifically):

EDIT: nvm, seems the file has to be closer to the 256 width than i had.
No, if I'm getting you correctly, what you want to do is put the games 'box art' for the Games Explorer menu. Here are some instructions on how to do it, including where to get the box art: http://howto.jamescarnley.com/2007/0...sta-games.html
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-09, 11:53 AM   #21
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
No, if I'm getting you correctly, what you want to do is put the games 'box art' for the Games Explorer menu. Here are some instructions on how to do it, including where to get the box art: http://howto.jamescarnley.com/2007/0...sta-games.html
no im not using the games explorer folder. im not using the box art either. ive got it how i want it now, ill upload a ss tomorrow when im back at my pc

Edit: how it looks now

Last edited by delas52; 04-26-09 at 03:05 PM.
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote