Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-09, 04:50 PM   #1
moliones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8
Default 9500gt won't play vdpau

I have a Palit 9500GT Super+ 1GB, (which has DDR2), and am unable to use vdpau with it.

My m/b has a 750a SLI chipset, and using the onboard gpu, I am able to get vdpau working, though not smoothly.

I am using the 185.19 drivers.

With the command
Code:
mplayer The\ Simpsons.mpg -vo vdpau -vc ffh264 > ffh264.txt
I see a green screen, then mplayer crashes.

Code:
mplayer The\ Simpsons.mpg -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau > ffh264vdpau.txt
gives no mplayer window, and just prints error messages.


I had the following set in my shell.
Code:
export VDPAU_TRACE=1
export VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG=3

I also have NVRM: Xid errors in my syslog.

Is there something I am overlooking here?
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (41.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: txt ffh264vdpau.txt (4.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: txt ffh264.txt (7.5 KB, 456 views)

Last edited by moliones; 04-15-09 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Fixed as per request (I hope)
moliones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 05:51 PM   #2
thefirstm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 226
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

It looks to me like you are trying to play an MPEG1/2 file with the H264 codec. Try using "-vc ffmpeg12vpdau" instead.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:04 PM   #3
moliones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

Thanks for your reply.

I realise it says "[VD_FFMPEG] XVMC-accelerated MPEG-2." in the attachment ffh264vpdau.txt, but it is in fact an H264 file. In fact, when I run mplayer The\ Simpsons.mpg, in the output is
Code:
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
As I mentioned, when using the onboard video, it is able to play the file. I'll attach equivalent outputs soon.
moliones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:13 PM   #4
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliones View Post
Code:
mplayer The\ Simpsons.mpg -vo vdpau -vc ffh264 > ffh264.txt
I see a green screen, then mplayer crashes.
Could you upload the sample, I am curious to test.
You possibly have a hardware problem;-(

Could you explain how you managed to get UNKNOWN as mplayer version? I ask because I thought this is not possible any more - it makes debugging very hard for me...

Carl Eugen

PS: Unfortunately, ffmpeg12vdpau will not help.

Last edited by cehoyos; 04-15-09 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Remove settled change request for original post
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:31 PM   #5
moliones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

I realise I didn't say before, but with ffmpeg12[vdpau] I get no video, but do get audio.

Now, using onboard video, I get a picture with both
Code:
mplayer The\ Simpsons.mpg -vo vdpau -vc ffh264 > onboard_ffh264.txt
and
Code:
mplayer The\ Simpsons.mpg -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau > onboard_ffh264vdpau.txt

Re mplayer version, I apt-get source'd version 2:1.0-svn29095-x264-vdpau-0ubuntu1, and recompiled with --enable-debug. I have Jean-Yves Avenard's repo activated. If it helps, I could try to fix this.

It might be worth pointing out that I plan to use vdpau for mythtv, which I have running at present with software decoding. It is also unable to use vdpau, but i thought it would be a good idea to at least get it working in mplayer first.


I have uploaded a sample of the video to http://www.aaatos.net/videos/The_Simpsons_Short.mpg
Attached Files
File Type: txt onboard_ffh264.txt (38.9 KB, 117 views)
File Type: gz onboard_ffh264vdpau.txt.gz (7.0 KB, 97 views)
moliones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:46 PM   #6
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliones View Post
Re mplayer version, I apt-get source'd version 2:1.0-svn29095-x264-vdpau-0ubuntu1, and recompiled with --enable-debug.
While I doubt it will make a difference in your case (after all, it works with on-board GPU), please understand that I can only support MPlayer svn.

Stephen will hopefully comment on your original report.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:48 PM   #7
moliones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

I am working on compiling svn mplayer, but I suspect the problem isn't there, as as you say, it works with onboard gpu, plus mythtv is unable to play it.

Thanks for your help.


Edit:

Ok, for completeness I have attached outputs for the 9500gt trying (and failing) to play the file with MPlayer SVN-r29184-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ffh264_svn.txt (7.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: txt ffh264vdpau_svn.txt (4.0 KB, 105 views)
moliones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 07:05 PM   #8
Stephen Warren
Moderator
 
Stephen Warren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

moliones,

It looks like (at least for the ffh264vdpau case) you've been hit by one of the bugs described in this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130690

I'm not sure if your ffh264 case is related to this or not.

We'll add you information to the list of problematic HW. Reproducing this and fixing it is one of my highest priority items. however, so far it's been impossible to reproduce...
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-09, 07:24 PM   #9
moliones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

Stephen,

I added a post in that thread.

It seems to me this is likely a hardware issue, I'm working on acquiring an 8400GS, but obviously for me and others it would be good to resolve this.


Out of interest, has anyone tried the sample I uploaded, and had it work? I assume the video is good, but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

Obviously if anyone wants any more information, or for me to try something, I'll be happy to oblige.
moliones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 02:29 AM   #10
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliones View Post
Out of interest, has anyone tried the sample I uploaded, and had it work? I assume the video is good, but it would be nice to have some confirmation.
Apart from the fact that it doesn't show the Simpsons as the title promises, video plays fine with -vo vdpau and -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 03:34 AM   #11
moliones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
Apart from the fact that it doesn't show the Simpsons as the title promises, video plays fine with -vo vdpau and -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau.

Carl Eugen
Yeah, I record a few minutes of the preceding program to ensure I don't miss anything. I hope no one is too disappointed.
moliones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 03:46 PM   #12
dk75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 171
Default Re: 9500gt won't play vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliones View Post
Out of interest, has anyone tried the sample I uploaded, and had it work? I assume the video is good, but it would be nice to have some confirmation.
Play fine here to
__________________
  • Linux Debian Sid x86_64/ 3.2.0
  • Lenovo T61p
  • NVIDIA driver 295.33
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 11:04 AM
How do I play PS3 on my Sony Vaio while using HDMI cable? AbbieJohnson Archived News Items 0 06-18-12 05:04 AM
Rockstar condemns Max Payne 3 cheaters to play only against each other News Gaming Headlines 0 06-13-12 06:20 PM
Play for Free Weekend - Tropico 4, 25%-66% off News Archived News Items 0 05-10-12 01:50 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.