Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-30-02, 02:32 PM   #1
Tactics
Green Lantern

Default Dual boot question..

I just got my new HD and i'm going to put 98SE on one partition and XP on another.

Question when I install my games on 98SE (hince XP still has issues with some games) do I have to install them in the XP partition also if I want to play them when I'm in XP? Silly question I think but I never had a partition before so I would assume it's like having 2 different OS on one drive.

Also there was a liknk here I believe like 2 weeks ago that had to do with an XP tweaking guide. I was pretty indepth. I can't find it and I been trying to get my grubby little hands on stuff like this so I can see what people have been doing to get make sure XP runs at it's best. Service pack 1 hopefully will be out soon so I don't have headaches like some folks had with XP. Was it nvnews that had that XP guide??

Thanx
Old 08-30-02, 02:53 PM   #2
Switch

The problem with playing games using both OS's is that, say you install game X in Windows 98, well the files are going to be there when your in XP but the registry entries the game has made will not be entered in the XP registry...

When I was dual booting Windows 2000 and Windows 98 what I did was installed the game in one OS and then went to the other OS and installed it in the same directory... In doing so both OS's have the registry entries and both are using the same files. It's a little primative, but it works.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 04:17 PM   #3
Tactics
Green Lantern

Quote:
well the files are going to be there when your in XP but the registry entries the game has made will not be entered in the XP registry...

ok cool thx. I did hear that before and I guess what you said is the only way to do it and have both games work in each OS.
Old 09-02-02, 03:48 PM   #4
Tactics
Green Lantern

Well I was just doing some reading and read that XP can be setup as NTFS

What's the best setup? 98SE will be FAT32 and XP can do FAT32 and NTFS... what should XP be set at? I figure it would be NTFS because it's going to be on a totally different partition then 98 so it won't mess with 98 being FAT32. thx

Old 09-02-02, 04:16 PM   #5
Switch

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactics
Well I was just doing some reading and read that XP can be setup as NTFS

What's the best setup? 98SE will be FAT32 and XP can do FAT32 and NTFS... what should XP be set at? I figure it would be NTFS because it's going to be on a totally different partition then 98 so it won't mess with 98 being FAT32. thx

I'd use NTFS for XP only if you don't plan to use that partition at all when in 98SE.
Old 09-02-02, 04:55 PM   #6
The Baron

If it's NTFS, 98SE can't read it AT ALL. Maybe there are some 3rd party utilities you can install, but it can't straight out of the box.

Of course, that's not a bad thing, I wouldn't want 98SE coming near XP either
Old 09-02-02, 06:30 PM   #7
Tactics
Green Lantern

I won't be using that partition at all when in 98SE

Baron when you say "can't read it at all" do you mean I won't be able to view/access any files? If so is that a bad thing? I would assume not since I have 2 totally seperate OS's and I don't want them interacting at all. thx man.

Old 09-02-02, 06:37 PM   #8
Switch

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactics
I won't be using that partition at all when in 98SE

Baron when you say "can't read it at all" do you mean I won't be able to view/access any files? If so is that a bad thing? I would assume not since I have 2 totally seperate OS's and I don't want them interacting at all. thx man.

95/98/ME Cannot read NTFS AT ALL, unless it's through a network. Being you have two seperate OS's it's not a bad thing.

Old 09-04-02, 03:22 PM   #9
Chiles4

You might want to consider an alternative that I use. I use a Nicklock hardware dual-boot manager. It cost $20 and you simply connect it to two hard drives with different OSes and turn the key corresponding to that drive. It fits in a 5" or 3.5" inch bay. They have them at Newegg.

It's greatly simplified my life as wife runs our online store on one drive while I frag on the other. It gives you alot of flexibility to screw up one system without affecting the other. BTW, we're both running Win98SE.

Last edited by Chiles4; 09-04-02 at 03:26 PM.
Chiles4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 03:56 PM   #10
Tactics
Green Lantern

Quote:
It cost $20 and you simply connect it to two hard drives with different OSes and turn the key corresponding to that drive.
That seems kind of cool but I only want to use one hard drive since I have 80 gigs to play with and I pretty much only play games.
Old 09-04-02, 05:29 PM   #11
The Baron

Only problem with those kind of drive switching arrangements is that if you turn the thing while the box is on, you can really kill a drive.

Just kind of risky, don't want anybody knocking it.
Old 09-06-02, 09:19 AM   #12
de><ta
prodigy

stick with 98 if you are just playing games.

If you must have XP set it to NTFS and 98 to fat32. Once some of my ME files got corrupt when i tried to check my ports and it picked up the registry setting from 98.

However i seriously do not think you need XP and 98. The space used by XP can be used more productively by....... installing and playing games on that space

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote