Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-09, 11:11 AM   #25
Badboy_12345

Default Re: Stardock: Demigod Pirated Over 6 to 1 Versus Sales

the pirates cant play online.

Quote:
But what happened was that we ended up with 140,000 connected users, of which about 12% were actually legitimate customers. Now, the roughly 120,000 users that weren’t running legitimate copies of the game weren’t online playing multiplayer or anything. The issue with those users was as benign as a handful of HTTP calls that did things like check for updates and general server keep alive. Pretty trivial on its own until you have 120,000 of them. Then you have what amounts to a DDOS attack on yourself.
http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/art..._Status_Report
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 11:51 AM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

tages for the win
Old 04-17-09, 11:56 AM   #27
fizzelopeguss

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yes Im sure he's not complaining at the 18K copies of the game sold when he sees over 100K people playing it... seriously, im sure hes cursing and *****ing his head off in the background. Anyone would get mad when they see people using their product for free rather then paying them to us it.
Stardock ain't stupid, they're one of the few companies out that that get it. They budget and market their games very well, that's why the company is going from strength to strength. Piracy is unfortunate and definately an issue, but it shouldn't be a scapegoat or an excuse to **** over the many legitimate software buyers out there.

The PS3 has no piracy, yet it's software sales are hardly lighting the world on fire.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 12:22 PM   #28
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Lack of a Demo is such a poor excuse. Plenty of other games have sold very well without a demo and the game had great media coverage since it was announced. It's also not like the game is throwing the RTS Genre head over heels, its a pretty standard RTS from what I have seen.

Pirates are just people who want free stuff, its not because they want to try it or its too expensive... Those are BS reason they use to justify it but in the end its because they just don't want to pay for it.

bacon12, I believe the game does not require a key. The key is required to register the game with stardock so you can get the patches.
*shrug*

Like I said, I didn't know anything about the game until I saw the threads here when it was released.

And as an RTS\RPG from a developer that's put out a couple decent RPGs, a mediocre RPG (Space Siege) and an RTS game that didn't appeal to everyone (Supreme Commander) its not exactly a guaranteed good buy for most gamers. Add to that the mixed reviews from most sites and it just makes it worse.

The early release from gamestop probably hurt them as well.

What I'm saying is that the poor sales and high piracy are most likely because of several factors.

Yeah, pirates want stuff that's free, or they don't want to "lose" anything to play a game. We know that. I think the problem with this game is that there wasn't enough publicity or incentive to get people to run out and buy it, whether they would pirate it or not. So the only people who even bothered to play it were the ones who saw it listed on torrent sites.

If the game required a 2Mb crack file download to bypass CD protection I doubt it would have sold any better since that file would have been included with all the pirated copies anyway.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 12:24 PM   #29
DansFace

why are they even able to play online??

I could try try to play starcraft with a crack and it wouldn't let me get on bnet...

thats a 10 year+ plus game? I feel bad for them still.... but Demigod just seems like the kinda game that would get downloaded

i5 2500k @ 5.0 GHZ cooled with a H70, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , Radeon 6970 2GB, X-Fi Music, and Corsair 650w
DansFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 01:35 PM   #30
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansFace View Post
why are they even able to play online??

I could try try to play starcraft with a crack and it wouldn't let me get on bnet...

thats a 10 year+ plus game? I feel bad for them still.... but Demigod just seems like the kinda game that would get downloaded
I don't think anyone here knows how to read.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 01:46 PM   #31
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banko View Post
I don't think anyone here knows how to read.
+1

This is how rumors get started
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 02:29 PM   #32
bacon12

So from the confusing links and bits here I have read the game has a key, doesn't require you to use it during install, and doesn't require said key to activate the online portion of the game?

WTF??
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-09, 02:32 PM   #33
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
So from the confusing links and bits here I have read the game has a key, doesn't require you to use it during install, and doesn't require said key to activate the online portion of the game?

WTF??
It uses the key to allow you to play online, supposedly. The game goes online without it though, to check your status and to check for patches and what-not.

120,000 people have gone online, but they weeded out the legal and legit users to 18,000. I would assume this means the pirates are being effectively blocked from online play and patches (though some people say they have logged on without their key... mabe this is Imnpulse purchases and their keys were auto-saved or something).

Whether the pirates were effective or not though, it still means the game was heavily pirated.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 03:01 PM   #34
Q

Still not as bad as the numbers for World of Goo.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 03:08 PM   #35
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It uses the key to allow you to play online, supposedly. The game goes online without it though, to check your status and to check for patches and what-not.

120,000 people have gone online, but they weeded out the legal and legit users to 18,000. I would assume this means the pirates are being effectively blocked from online play and patches (though some people say they have logged on without their key... mabe this is Imnpulse purchases and their keys were auto-saved or something).

Whether the pirates were effective or not though, it still means the game was heavily pirated.
Heavily pirated games get exposure which means more sales for games that dont have 10 million $ in marketing budget.

I think stardock sees this as positive that people want their game.
It would look depressing if no one was pirating it
All big games gets pirated.. and the more pirates on a game = the bigger the game
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 04:26 PM   #36
Buio

So 120 000 concurrent idiots.

And you wonder why there are so much crap posts on game forums.

Uh, ops.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote