Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-09, 04:31 PM   #25
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Top 3 things you dislike in the world of gaming!

1. Downloadable Content Replacing Real Expansions - This is mostly on the behalf of Bethesda, but the general death of the expansion makes me sad. The Pitt was a nice addition to Fallout 3, but the whole time I played it I imagined how much more awesome it would be if it were full fleshed-out as a real expansion.

2. Quest Arrows - Those big fat arrows which tell you where to go, or a mark on your compass, or at worst a dotted line/trail on the ground telling you where to go. Bioshock, Oblivion, Fable 2, Turok... dozens of games probably. Most of the time the game doesn't even need them, and on the rare chance they do the game should of been designed better so I could have just found my goal. The arrows break immersion and clutter the screen, harming the experience. When they can't be turned off in any way it's even worse.

3. Lack of PC Graphics Options in PC Ports- There is nothing more annoying than opening up a video options menu to only see resolution as an option, or maybe one or two other little things. Just because a game is built for consoles doesn't mean you can't add some PC options for us... FEAR 2, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3... the list goes on and on of console games ported to PC which still offered options and a nice improvement in visual quality. There is no excuse to offer nothing.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 05:21 PM   #26
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
1. Downloadable Content Replacing Real Expansions - This is mostly on the behalf of Bethesda, but the general death of the expansion makes me sad. The Pitt was a nice addition to Fallout 3, but the whole time I played it I imagined how much more awesome it would be if it were full fleshed-out as a real expansion.

2. Quest Arrows - Those big fat arrows which tell you where to go, or a mark on your compass, or at worst a dotted line/trail on the ground telling you where to go. Bioshock, Oblivion, Fable 2, Turok... dozens of games probably. Most of the time the game doesn't even need them, and on the rare chance they do the game should of been designed better so I could have just found my goal. The arrows break immersion and clutter the screen, harming the experience. When they can't be turned off in any way it's even worse.

3. Lack of PC Graphics Options in PC Ports- There is nothing more annoying than opening up a video options menu to only see resolution as an option, or maybe one or two other little things. Just because a game is built for consoles doesn't mean you can't add some PC options for us... FEAR 2, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3... the list goes on and on of console games ported to PC which still offered options and a nice improvement in visual quality. There is no excuse to offer nothing.
I agree with you. I HATE DLC, and to be quite honest, im never going to pay for it. I paid money for fallout 3 (nearly typed oblivion by accident ) and im damned if im paying any more.

I agree 100% with regards quest arrows, its really annoying to have a whole screen dedicated with junk. Give me clean interface. Dead space was very good in this respect.

I agree even more with your last statement, it is very depressing. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is very good game but does not let you change much. Thus it runs like **** on my laptop but with no improvement on my GTX 295.
Old 04-19-09, 05:53 PM   #27
Ywap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post

Very good points all of them.

Im so against DLC i didn´t even think of it. I would never in my life pay for DLC:s or play games with monthly fees.
Old 04-19-09, 06:09 PM   #28
kazna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
I would say that Capcom´s Framework engine is the best scaling engine

Dunia seem to use the hardware pretty well too.
Agreed, but their not widely used. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
I would never in my life pay for DLC:s or play games with monthly fees.
PC gaming's future will be a boring place for you then. DLC is here to stay, and with online distribution systems like Steam gaining popularity, we will probably see more and more content make its way into DLCs instead of traditional expansions.
kazna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 06:17 PM   #29
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

hard to just list 3

1) DLCs, so little for so much

2) Console companies and their business model, console fanboys

3) Dumbing down certain genres, especially RPGs, Strategy games.

runner-ups (no particular order)

4) Games for Windows LIVE - Just the Xbox Live part.

5) lack of new IPs

6) Call of Duty series starting with COD3, and other series that simply will not die (NFS comes to mind)

7) Vaseline Filter

8) To many different services on PC, Steam, D2D, GameSpy, EA Download Link, GOG, Xfire.... etc.. Just to much

9) Lack of Options in Console Ports

10) MMOs
Old 04-19-09, 06:31 PM   #30
Logical

1) Consolisation and everything that comes with it.
2) Immaturity in some online games
3) Crysis multiplayer, Single player is awesome...for taking screenies.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 09:34 PM   #31
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

1. DRM

2. Non refundable

3. Online gamers dropping F-bomb every 3rd word, cause a 38 yr old man beat them many times.

Honorable mention

Tie between

a) Steam
b) EA games

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 12:54 PM   #32
Ywap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazna View Post
Agreed, but their not widely used. =P

PC gaming's future will be a boring place for you then. DLC is here to stay, and with online distribution systems like Steam gaining popularity, we will probably see more and more content make its way into DLCs instead of traditional expansions.
I hope you´re wrong

What i COULD see myself buying is a pack with several DLC:s in the size of a regular mission pack at a reasonable price.

Old 04-20-09, 12:57 PM   #33
ViN86

1. DRM keeping me from installing games
2. Pirates that keep making DRM necessary
3. Game engines that run like **** on high end PC's
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 03:15 PM   #34
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

1. Timed Exclusives
2. Paid DLC (Best example SFIV costumes ($7 for outfits that ARE in the game but locked until you pay! Grrrr!)
3. Crappy console ports (I know I'm a console gamer too, but when I choose to buy PC I want the bloody thing to work! Hats off to Wanted, Dark Sector and Dead Space recently)
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 03:19 PM   #35
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

1. Timed Exclusives
2. Paid DLC (Best example SFIV costumes ($7 for outfits that ARE in the game but locked until you pay! Grrrr!)
3. Crappy console ports (I know I'm a console gamer too, but when I choose to buy PC I want the bloody thing to work! Hats off to Wanted, Dark Sector and Dead Space recently)

Double nvm ::

3 things Vanz. 3, not just one. Come back and complete.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 03:23 PM   #36
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Lack of character involvement, with graphics as good as they are now devs should be able to tell a compelling story with three dimensional characters (not CAD 3d)... Can't say I've ever cared about a video game character unlike movie/book characters. When are games going to evolve to a legitimate story telling medium... instead let's put out another SHOOTER with 50 different ways to kill the obvious evil villan(s)...

Vanz
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote