Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-24-08, 11:59 PM   #1
safetycopy

Question Unable to find the system utility 'ld'...

Hi,

I've been having problems getting a GUI for a new installation of Fedora 9. After a lot of help from all over the place it seems to be established that this is down to my video card, which is an nVidia GeForce4 MX 420. I heard that installing the driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._96.43.07.html should fix my problems, so I downloaded that and after much messing about managed to get it copied into my user's home/Desktop directory on the Fedora 9 install. I only have a CLI at the moment, so I logged in as root and ran the installer, only to be presented with this message:

Code:
ERROR: Unable to find the system utility 'ld'; please make sure you have the package 'binutils' installed. If you do have binutils installed, then please check that 'ld' is in your PATH.
I have no idea what 'ld' is, or how I can get it and add it to my PATH. I'm a complete newbie to Linux and the CLI and have no internet access from Fedora yet (I've still to set up my wireless network).

Can anyone help me get 'ld' installed so I can get the video card driver going, please? :-)
safetycopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 09:09 PM   #2
Pete Theisen

Default Re: Unable to find the system utility 'ld'...

[quote=safetycopy;1855079]Hi,

I've been having problems getting a GUI for a new installation of Fedora 9. After a lot of help from all over the place it seems to be established that this is down to my video card, which is an nVidia GeForce4 MX 420. I heard that installing the driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._96.43.07.html should fix my problems, so I downloaded that and after much messing about managed to get it copied into my user's home/Desktop directory on the Fedora 9 install. I only have a CLI at the moment, so I logged in as root and ran the installer, only to be presented with this message:

[code]ERROR: Unable to find the system utility 'ld';

Hi Safetycopy!

Did you ever get to the bottom of where "ld" is? I am running into the same problem today in Debian 5 lenny. GUI works but no second screen

Regards,

Pete
Pete Theisen is offline   Reply With Quote