Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-09, 02:07 PM   #1
Azolero

Default 8600 fails to load properly in Ubuntu 8.04

I tried installing the 180 driver, however, ubuntu refused to acknowledge it.
It insisted on starting up in low graphics mode, while showing only the top part of the screen, on the bottom, and even then it starts projecting from somewhere in the middle-right, with the left side being on the far right. At autodetection, it selects the wrong driver. When I manually choose it, at "Nv" (which includes GeForce in the description), it momentarily fixes itself, showing something about 'terminating in 15 seconds', with only 'cancel' and 'keep settings' as viable options, both leading to the same result. If I choose 'nVidia', the nVidia logo shows instead when testing, after which the OS quickly reports a fail.
I am able to operate the OS by init 1 and using the xfix option, though that disables any form of graphical acceleration that I am aware of.

I do admit I installed it at init 1, but there was no other way I figured to turn off X. I don't think it's what caused it, though.

Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.
Azolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 05:29 PM   #2
wiresquire

Default Re: 8600 fails to load properly in Ubuntu 8.04

1. Run the uninstall from the driver version that you installed with. You should do this from a console window same as 3 below.
2. Make sure that you have removed all traces of the nvidia driver packages that are the default with Ubuntu. There are many posts on this both here and the ubuntu forums.
3. Go to a console window [Ctrl-Alt-F1], login and to stop X, use:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
4. Install the driver as per the instructions. Let the nvidia driver install write a new xorg.conf file.
5. Enjoy.

ws

PS: nvidia is the nvidia driver. There is no reason to go to init1. Personally I usually go to init 3 out of habit, but the runlevels for ubuntu have no relation to what used to be a psuedo-standard.
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 12:00 PM   #3
Azolero

Thanks, but it doesn't work. Ubuntu insists on starting in low graphics mode and keeps selecting the wrong driver (VESA) on autodetect.

Furthermore, I tried running nVidia X server settings, and it keeps saying I'm not using them, even if I run nvidia-xconfig.

Last edited by Azolero; 04-20-09 at 12:11 PM. Reason: addition, correction
Azolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 10:43 PM   #4
wiresquire

Are you manually editing the xorg.conf to tell it to use the nvidia driver?

After using the nvidia driver and the problem occurs, you should generate a bug report. This will hopefully let someone see where the problem is.

Good luck
ws
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote